ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The Cellar - quick review

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby Mirrorman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:51 pm

I've just finished The Cellar a short piece of IF horror. There's a spooky cellar, a mysterious expedition that goes horribly wrong and your father who is harbouring some kind of sinister secret.

I normally don't enjoy IF where you are just pressing enter or typing "talk to uncle" to get onto the next bit, I seriously question why people wouldn't just write a short story but in this one the story is well written and engaging enough to keep me interested until the end - which is also excellent.

Personally I would have liked to have had more interaction with the story, perhaps taking the part of the uncle on the adventure and then returning to being the listener or something along those lines. I would even have enjoyed rummaging around the house a bit more but you can't really criticise a game for not giving you what you want especially as it does what it sets out to do very well.

I enjoyed it, as a big fan of Lovecraft I liked the premise but also appreciated the nice presentation and good descriptions. Even though it's not the style of game I would normally go for it's a good story and well worth trying.
Mirrorman

Postby Lucas RapRock » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:48 pm

I just wanbna know what is the password for these games.
Lucas RapRock

Postby ElliotM » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:10 pm

You'll have to contact the author of the game yourself I'm afraid. Just keep in mind that he/she might not be inclined to hand it out, so be understanding if that is the case since a lot of authors feel protective of their work.

Anyhow, welcome to the forums.
ElliotM

Postby Lucas RapRock » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:14 pm

Goddamn. I donwloaded nearly 4 games, and I have to contact these 4 authors, and the worse, WAIT for them reply me. Thanks for the help and the welcome message.
Lucas RapRock

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:37 pm

Whew. Welcome to the forum. I can see you're going to fit in really well here.

And the password for The Cellar? Well, it's contained in the game title if you must know, but I'm surprised anyone would need it. It's hardly a difficult game.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby Lucas RapRock » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks. Hehe I'm seeing the game is difficult, evenm to play it! =D
But I can't find the password. I put cellar, the, thecellar, the cellar, nothing...
Lucas RapRock

Postby ElliotM » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:16 am

Lucas RapRock wrote:Goddamn. I donwloaded nearly 4 games, and I have to contact these 4 authors, and the worse, WAIT for them reply me. Thanks for the help and the welcome message.

You're welcome. But I do hope you were being sarcastic when you complained about having to wait.
ElliotM

Postby Ren » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:56 am

Lucas RapRock wrote:Thanks. Hehe I'm seeing the game is difficult, evenm to play it! =D
But I can't find the password. I put cellar, the, thecellar, the cellar, nothing...

Just to check, you realise you don't need the password to play the game, right?

The password will let you open the game and see how it was made. If you just want to play the game then you just need to open it via the ADRIFT Runner (not Generator).
Ren

Postby NObodyNOWHERE » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:41 pm

Ren wrote:Just to check, you realise you don't need the password to play the game, right?

The password will let you open the game and see how it was made. If you just want to play the game then you just need to open it via the ADRIFT Runner (not Generator).

DING DING DING! Congratulations, Ren! You just answered the $64,000 question!
NObodyNOWHERE

The author must keep his mouth shut when his work starts to speak. - Nietzsche

My lame blog: http://n0bodyn0where.blogspot.com/
NObodyNOWHERE

Postby Lucas RapRock » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:54 pm

Oh guys thanks... I was trying with the Generator.

@EliotM

I didn't understand you. I said I gotta wait for them reply me. I'm not English, and then I didn't understand so much.
Lucas RapRock

Postby ElliotM » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:12 pm

No problem, Lucas.

Luckily for us, Ren figured out what you really wanted to know.
ElliotM

Return to Game Discussions