ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The Forest House (Latest Release) - Yep, you guessed it.  Spoilers!

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby revgiblet » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:30 pm

The Forest House by Seciden Mencarde

You can read my original review of the game in the ECTOCOMP write-up posted in this very thread. Seciden went back to the game, fixed it and re-released it. This review is of the re-released version.

The new version is pretty much identical to the original, except for some major bug-fixes, a couple of new locations and tweaking of the odd puzzle here and there. These combined changes make a world of difference to the game. For one thing, it's now possible to finish it. Secondly, it's a less frustrating experience. Thirdly, there's now no real reason for people not to like it.

You see, I think that Seciden has got it exactly right here. Not that The Forest House is anything more than a very competent, very short game. But Seciden released a game, had it played, listened to the feedback, made the changes and re-released it. This is how a first game should be done.

To anyone who is writing a first ADRIFT game - download this game and play it. Then put aside the uber-RPG you're working on and spend a week writing a small game similar to this one. Release it and beg people to play it. I'll play it for you. Get some feedback about what works and what doesn't. Get some experience of writing and bug-fixing in ADRIFT. Fix the game and re-release it. And then go back to your original project. You'll get some experience at writing a finished game with ADRIFT, as well as helpful pointers about your writing style etc. that will save you a lot of heartache if you wait until you finish your magnum opus before you invite comment.

Wow, that was a tangent wasn't it? As for The Forest House - read my review for the ECTOCOMP version and remove all the criticisms and comments about bugs. You'll be left with a review for this version. It's still well-written. It's still interesting. The endings are still a little confusing. It's still a very nice little game indeed. Thank you Seciden.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby Shuarian » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:25 pm

Would the revised release be version 1.0 which is available on the main Adrift site?
Shuarian

Postby brain in jar » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:59 pm

Edit: I see ** spoilers!

Edited By brain in jar on 1200522563
Thanks, Bondo!

Now would be an ideal time for procreation.
brain in jar

Postby revgiblet » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:11 pm

brain in jar wrote:I see no spoilers!

You're right. I realised after I wrote the review that I didn't spoil anything. So for the sake of accuracy here are a couple.

i) Wear the socks!

ii) Wear the jumper!
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

revgiblet

Postby revgiblet » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:12 pm

Shuarian wrote:Would the revised release be version 1.0 which is available on the main Adrift site?

Yep. I downloaded it from the ADRIFT site.

Tertullian

revgiblet

Postby Fire Wyrm » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:07 am

Ok I've played it too. Since I didn't play the first version I don't have a point of comparison, however everywhere I got stuck was my own impatience not bad game design. I got a perfect score after two tries. Only using a hint once the first playthrough. (Only because my brain shuts down around some IF puzzles for some reason.)

Much farther along then I've gotten with Adrift yet. I might even be inspired enough to work on a project myself after I finish tinkering with the Adrift icon contest.
Every child is an artist.
The problem is how to remain an artist when we grow up.
~ Pablo Picasso
Fire Wyrm

Postby ElliotM » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:16 pm

There was a bug or a guess the verb problem that prevented me from entering the forest. I had everything the explicit hint told me have. Unfortunately, all versions of this game that are up in the archives have passwords on them so I have no way of finishing..

I would have loved to have finished this game as the premise and writing had a lot of promise but it needs some work. I am aware of the 3 hour time limit that Ectocomp had but if there was a revised release I didn't see much improvement for playability.

If the author wants me to 'beta test' and recommend changes, additional aliases and verbs, etc, I would be more then happy to do so. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him in a long time.

A for Writing
C for Implementation
ElliotM

Return to Game Discussions