ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Operation: Sleepover

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:54 pm

Operation: Sleepover by Justin Bailey (a Quest game)

While unusual for a Quest game in that there were no hideous errors in it (at least in the bits that I saw), Operation: Sleepover wasn't much fun to play.

It starts with, of all things, your sister's fairy (or faery as it's spelt here) guardian showing up and telling you not to interrupt the sleepover she and her friends are having. To make sure you don't, she then magically locks the door to your bedroom. (Not a very good magical lock, as it happens, because examining a nearby book tells you how to get it open. Only don't try reading the book because the READ command isn't recognised...)

After that, you're free to explore a not very interesting house and do... not much really. Most of the rooms have descriptions that are little more than a line long and there's no sense of depth in any of the locations. A typical description:

You are in the Downstairs Hallway.

You can go south, east or west.

The laundry room is to the west, the party is to the east.

Or:

You are in the Bathroom.

There is a toilet, the bath tub and a mirror here.

You can go south.

While there's no need to have room descriptions that stretch for pages, a bit more than YOU ARE IN THE BATHROOM followed by a shopping list of what's in the bathroom would be nice.

While more technically accomplished than most Quest games I've played (i.e. no hideous errors, no crashes without warning), there's very little about Operation: Sleepover that I could find to recommend. There's not even much in the way of gameplay to get your teeth stuck into, and with no hints, and no real indication of what you're supposed to be doing, it wasn't long before I was yearning to try something else instead.

3 out of 10
David Whyld

Postby ElliotM » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:34 pm

I think I actually tried that one before I gave up on the entire Quest archive. The game asked you for a name at the beginning, and if you managed to reach one of the endings it gave you a name to try the next time you played. If something different was supposed to happen I couldn't tell.

Then again, it was a Quest game...

Edited By ElliotM on 1202574871
ElliotM

Return to Game Discussions