ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Reviews of Oh, Human - by Abbi Park

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby alsnpk » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:52 am

I forgot to say OddComp in the title.

Of course your review doesn't have to include all, or any, of questions, if you don't want it to. This is meant to serve as a basic template.

(Keep these restrictions in mind: The author had to pair up each one of these numbers: 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11, with one of these: rooms, objects, tasks, events, and characters, and have and use exactly the particular number of each that they chose for their game; no more, no less.)

1. What was your initial impression of the game, when you first opened it up, and how did the game compare?

2. How did the author do within the restrictions?

3. How were the puzzles and/or storyline?

4. What did you like best about the game?

5. What did you like least about the game, and how could this be fixed?

6. What stood out most to you from/about this game?

7. How did this game compare with the others in the competition and/or what set it apart?

Any other comments?

Edited By alsnpk on 1222480424
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
alsnpk

Postby revgiblet » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:43 am

OH, HUMAN
--------------

I guessed wrong...again.

AWARD: The "Carrot, Not A Stick" Award

Hmmm, this game starts with the player trapped in a small dark room. There is a circle of light nearby. The title of the game is Oh, Human. I guessed this one right away. I was waiting to be born, and I was going to play through the first few moments of a child's birth. Could it be any more obvious?

But no! It turns out that I am a regular adult and am being put through my paces in some kind of scientific test. The purpose remains deliberately vague and, because the core of the game is constrained by the restrictions of the
competition, I thought that it was all the better for it. I haven't messed about with crates this much since I played the original Half-Life, so I liked to imagine that this was all part of some experiment at Black Mesa - though I doubt that the author had that in mind.

The author's other game was Business as Usual, and Oh, Human was my favourite of the two. Although the puzzles were fairly simple (though I got stuck because it is possible to 'enter hole' when you visit room one for the second time, and therefore end up in room two again instead of progressing to the next stage of the game) and the story virtually non-existant (though I felt it hinted at more than one possible ending, which I didn't find anyway) there was still a nice sense of progression and purpose to the game. The comments by the unseen observer provided probably the most obvious 'carrot' of the games that I played, and it was nice to have a fairly clear objective in front of me. A lot of the other games relied on more esoteric motivation (which is fine, especially if it's the promise of more story nuggets) and it made a nice change of pace. At least there wasn't anyone coming in and moving all the crates around so that I couldn't find them. Though once I took one of the crates, but it was still listed in the room description.

The final thing to add to this review is that this was the second entry from the competition organiser herself. Not only has she gone to the trouble of running a competition, she has provided two of the entries. I think it's clear that this competition can clearly be labeled a success. So now I'm going to break a convention that I decided on when I began writing these reviews - I'm going to refer to the game author by name. Well done Abbi, and thanks.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby helgathehorrible » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:00 am

1. What was your initial impression of the game, when you first opened it up, and how did the game compare?
The start of the game didn't really give me any indication of how it would turn out; the game itself, I guess solving the puzzles were fun but the story wasn't much, and even the problem-solving was set in mostly empty rooms and there was no background, no descriptions, to set the atmosphere.

2. How did the author do within the restrictions?
They did okay, the mostly-empty rooms meant that there wasn't anything described in the description that you couldn't interact with. However, this gave the game a lack of immersion.

3. How were the puzzles and/or storyline?
The puzzles were okay, the storyline... well, it never really became clear to me. If you're being observed, why didn't the people at the end do anything when you escaped? They just stood there. What was the point of it? Why were you there in the first place? What were they observing you for?
helgathehorrible

Postby alsnpk » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:11 am

Thank you for the reviews. One thing though. It doesn't look like either of you figured out the better ending! Is it too hard to get to?
Released:

alsnpk

Postby revgiblet » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:30 am

alsnpk wrote:Thank you for the reviews. One thing though. It doesn't look like either of you figured out the better ending! Is it too hard to get to?

ARrggghh! I wondered if there was a second ending. I think (as I said in your review) that you 'hinted' at another ending but I wasn't sure if there was one so didn't try to find it. Maybe I'll have another go.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby helgathehorrible » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:41 am

Hm... I'll have to play it over to find it. Unfortunately, I'm leaving for the weekend here and only on the forum to procrastinate until my parents are ready (although I've been ready for hours) so I'll have to try when I get back.
helgathehorrible

Postby alsnpk » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:04 am

Actually, while you each only reached one ending, from what you wrote, it looks like helgathehorrible may have only reached the "second ending" and not the first. I wondered if that would ever happen.
Released:

alsnpk

Return to Game Discussions