Give Me Your Lunch Money - Revenge of the 8 year-old inventor!

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.
dswxyz

Post by dswxyz »

So, I'm finally getting around to playing some of the games from this year, and this one seems kinda fun, but I'm not quite sure what I should be doing to make additional progress, and the walkthrough that the game mentions... well, is there a walkthrough? I don't see one. I have about 10 traps, but I don't see how I'm supposed to set them up if I can't leave the house.
Written: "Beanstalk the and Jack" * In progress: thinking about "Towers of H'Annoy"
dswxyz

Post by dswxyz »

Okay, I've gone and opened the game in the Generator and it seems there's a bug with the definition of going south from Front Yard. The game has accidentally defined it with the same Task restriction as going north from The Park. So when I tried to go east or west from The Park, the way north opened up, then I took a one way trip north from The Park to Front Yard and I can never return, since the Task can only be triggered from the other side.

I assume the author and all his testers always went directly north from the park and never discovered the bug. Oops.

(There's a few other minor bugs in the game, but this one is kinda serious.)
Written: "Beanstalk the and Jack" * In progress: thinking about "Towers of H'Annoy"
DCBSupafly

Post by DCBSupafly »

Thanks so much dswxyz! I have been working on a rerelease that will be less buggy, as this is my first game, and this mistake was known to me, but the cause was evading me! I am correcting the bug now, and I'm excited as I'm pretty sure this is really the one remaining game-breaker! I will release a new version soon and thanks for playing! I'd be glad to know any other comments you have, specific to the game or in general about the style and devices.

Have you been able to complete the game since discovering the bug?
dswxyz

Post by dswxyz »

Actually, I haven't finished the game because of another bug. There seems to be a few bugs relating to the finale. First of all, the game appears to let me set up traps even if I haven't set enough triggers. I was able to set up more traps than triggers. But even when I had set up 7 of each, the events wound down with Traps: 1, Triggers: -1, and there was no ultimate conclusion.

Other bugs:
-- I managed to kill Vick, then later managed to get her with, I think it was the cayenne powder trap. So she didn't seem to be quite as dead as advertised.
-- I haven't looked into how you're choosing the current bully during the finale, but it was odd that Baxter would be chosen three times in a row.
-- There's no mention of the white paint in the garage descriptions. I only discovered it via the debugger.
-- I'm pretty sure you mean 'spigot', not 'spicket' in the front yard. There's a few other typos ('pain' instead of 'paint', at least one 'to' instead of 'too' somewhere).
-- If I'm carrying the digger and try to examine it in the front yard, I get the response about it being in basement (even if it's not there any more.)

Very minor issues:
-- No window (or bed!) in My Room.
-- Can't climb the monkey bars, jungle gym, or playground equipment. Or the fence in the backyard.
-- The contents of the diary and the filing cabinet were a bit disappointing, but they do serve a good purpose for hinting, I guess. I felt a trifle misled by the mention of a toothbrush, and it was only the explicit mention in Mom & Dad's Bathroom that a toothbrush wasn't needed that I knew I could abandon the search for Sis' toothbrush.

I should also admit that, as an exercise, I've been attempting to port this game to Inform 7, just to see if I can do it. I was fond enough of your game to spend some extra time with it. I promise not to release the Inform port to anyone, not even for testing, without your permission.
dswxyz

Post by dswxyz »

(hm. I don't have permission to edit my own posting. weird.)

Forgot this one:
-- I confused the Runner mightily trying to "unload dart gun" that it froze up the system in some weird way. For the life of me, I was trying to remove the dart, etc. and just couldn't do it. I'd add something about "take apart" in your help instructions, and maybe add "dismantle" as another synonym.
-- Speaking of dismantling, the description of the lawnmower needs to change after you've studied the manual, and it needs a 3rd description after you've dismantled it. It's a mistake to say you still don't know how to dismantle the thing when you do, you so do.
DCBSupafly

Post by DCBSupafly »

I know what I'm workin on this weekend! Thanks a lot. When I rerelease, which I'd like to do soon, I would love a port to Inform. Thanks again so much. I will keep you posted.