ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

(EvenComp) Perspectives - by Justahack

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby alsnpk » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:42 am

Of course you don't have to answer all, or any, of these particular questions, if you don't want to. This is just a simple template for you to make use of if you'd like to.

(Keep these restrictions in mind: The author had to pair up each one of these numbers: 2, 4, 8, 12, and 14, with one of these: rooms, objects, tasks, events, and characters, and have and use exactly the particular number of each that they chose for their game; no more, no less.)

Perspectives, by Justahack (2 rooms, 8 objects, 14 tasks, 12 events, 4 characters)

1. What was your initial impression of the game, when you first opened it up, and how did the game compare?

2. How did the author do within the restrictions?

3. How were the puzzles and/or storyline?

4. What did you like best about the game?

5. What did you like least about the game, and how could this be fixed?

6. What stood out most to you from/about this game?

7. How did this game compare with the others in the competition and/or what set it apart?

Any other comments?
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
alsnpk

Postby alsnpk » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:23 pm

Perspectives
Justahack

Reviewed by Rob Roy

SCORING: 58.44% (out of 100)

Did you finish the game? Why or why not?

Yes, I achieved two endings.

WRITING: Score (out of 5 each) (Weight/Relevance)

Content; Style: 3 (Three-Quarters' Weight)
flow / quality / quantity

Technical Aspects: 3.5 (Quarter-Weight)
spelling / grammar

Writing, Overall: 3.25 (Relevant)

Do you have any comments about the writing (flow, quantity, style, technical aspects, etc...)?

Although I enjoy being thrown into situations, this one never gave me any real explanation as to what was going on.

GAMEPLAY: Score (out of 5 each) (Weight/Relevance)

Puzzles: 1 (Half-Weight)
fair / interesting / etc.

Enjoyment Level: 1 (Half-Weight)
fun? gripping? etc.

Gameplay, Overall: 1 (Relevant)

Any comments about the gameplay (puzzles, enjoyment level, interest level, etc…)?

Something's broken. The game did not end after I received an ending. All I could do was punch Jonah and then take his gun, but I don't think I was supposed to be able to do that? I tried helping Damien or at least asking his opinion of Jonah before he coraked, but he was useless. The only objects I could take were the gun, and the corpse of Damien.

SETUP: Score (out of 5 each) (Weight/Relevance)

Completeness: 2 (Half-Weight)
descs / cmnds covered

Presentation: 3 (Half-Weight)
setup / style / graphics

Setup, Overall: 2.5 (Relevant)

Setup comments (descriptions, commands covered, presentation, etc…) or other comments?

The introduction made the game sound apealing, but technical errors prevented me from enjoying the experience.

OTHER: Score (out of 5 each) (Weight/Relevance)

Competition (If Applicable): 5 (Full Weight)
kept rules / spirit of comp

Other, Overall: 5 (Relevant)

What did you most dislike about the game, and how could this be improved?

I just wasn't sure what to do. Or maybe I did everything I could.

What did you like best about the game?

The idea of multiple agendas, thus multpile outcomes.

Any other comments?

Don't let the glitches stop you from working it out!

Edited By alsnpk on 1262280236
alsnpk

Postby alsnpk » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:40 pm

Perspectives, by Justahack (2 rooms, 8 objects, 14 tasks, 12 events, 4 characters)

1. What was your initial impression of the game, when you first opened it up, and how did the game compare?

It opens similarly to the game I almost-submitted-but-didn't-quite-finish-at-all which threw me. It is completely different, which is good.

Okay. What needs to be implimented is implimented, though I don't the restrictions allow for enough character development, which I think limits this game's success. It also lacks a bit of polish (more could have been done with default responses via the alr). The heavy use of events is interesting but I'm not sure that it works.

Difficult to follow. I didn't feel that the characters were sufficiently distinguished given the focus on a character/event driven story.

It took a different approach.

More time fleshing out characters (including the pc), though this would make it a bigger game.

cf. 4

7. How did this game compare with the others in the competition and/or what set it apart?

It some respects it was the most interesting, but I think it works least well as a game in its own right.

Any other comments?

No thank-you.

(Anonymous review)

Edited By alsnpk on 1262284822
Released:

alsnpk

Postby alsnpk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:29 pm

Reviewed by Abbi Park

I thought it'd be interesting, and liked the potential the title had. I think... It could have fleshed out the perspectives a little more, but did live up to being interesting.

Did okay. I liked the different endings, but I think some of them would've done better being extended rather than having as many optional endings in so small a game. It made the focus seem to be more on getting the different endings rather than on the game itself. So if that was the goal, it worked.

At first it seemed like there'd be too many possibilities, of what could happen, but then there weren't that many, and I could just do a few things and it'd be over... It was good to get to know a little more of the story by playing the different endings, but if the better endings could've been a little more drawn out, that would have helped it feel more credible.

The idea of having a scenario play out regardless of what you do, but being able to change things to get different results. I really like that idea played out in unique ways in games.

Some of it felt too short/rushed, game-wise, so focusing a bit more on fewer endings might have been better.
Oh, also, not being able to interact much with most of the objects yet having them there was kind of a let-down, but I understand that the tasks were needed for other things, and that the objects were a requirement too.

The idea, plus the different endings. I really liked how they all had their distinguishing titles.

It had the most possibilities of where it could go, and most endings, for sure. I enjoyed seeing the different possibilities play out.

Any other comments?
I wasn't quite sure what to think when the game simply placed me back in the room calmly after most of the endings. It kind of broke the feeling of having endings, but was nice, and convenient, as far as not having to completely restart every time to try for the different endings. Heh.
Also: I wanted to be able to save the dead guy or at least get something more from having him there.
Released:

alsnpk

Return to Game Discussions