(SummerComp 2010) Aegis

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

It sure would be nice if there was something to put here...

P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

I'm not very good at writing reviews, in fact I haven't written any until this competition...
But I'll give it a try. If for no other reason than to make that poor sad puppy happy... :)

First of all, yes, Aegis is a bit buggy...
I encountered some situations which left me completely locked without a chance to win the game, and yet. I fully understand why this game won the 2010 Adrift Summer Competition.
The writing is excellent. Right from the beginning when you are sworn in as one of the guards, the atmosphere of the game engulfs you, putting you right smack in the middle of the Aegis world.
You are helped along the way quite nicely, by high lighted commands in the text, telling you what to do, although that, in at least one place, made me skip a vital part of the game, that later brought me in a situation where I couldn't board the pirate ship...
The characters are all well described, and interacts nicely as the game progresses, and you can't help but just LOVE Oxblood. After finishing the game, I went to our local pet store and asked for one, just like him... (yes, they did call the police... :O ) Lumin has managed to make this creature so lifelike and given him the cutest personality.
The puzzles are pretty straight forward, and all though there are some places where I had to consult the walk-through it wasn't enough to spoil the fun.
This is absolutely a game I will be looking forward to play again, once Lumin releases the revised version...
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 60Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Thanks Po. Prune, you made that sad puppy's day. :)

And just to reiterate, I'm definitely going to be releasing an updated version soon, so if anyone else has any transcripts or bug reports for me, I'd be really grateful if you can send them in so I can polish Aegis 2.0 up as much as possible.
Hensman Int'l

Post by Hensman Int'l »

From the 'comment' section of the voting sheet: Interesting that on the forum there was concern about “text dumps” as games. Early in the game I bought the fish and fed Oxblood but still went through the saddle routine. Deliberately tried to be misled, but the game would not let me. The story definitely grabbed my attention, just not the game implementation. In a way I’d prefer if it was a straight text dump.

That said, I have to agree whole-heartedly with Po Prune. Lumin definitely has a storytelling skill that draws you in deep. I have been re-reading "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy and to a fashion "Aegis" seems to be an introduction to a larger world of honor, loyalty, deceipt, and friendships much like Tolkien. Yes, Lumin, release a 2.0, but maybe give us (not just ADRIFT) a novel on Greatwater and it's legacy.
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Thanks Hensman! But having been a Tolkien fan for a number of years now, I have to say I'm pretty confident that nothing I write should even mentioned in the same sentence, though that did still put a huge grin on my face. :D

Since you brought it up, it might interest you to know that Greatwater actually is part of a larger setting that I've written a few short stories about, though only one had any mention of the Aegis Guard itself...it was actually about Havasa having an adventure somewhere else, maybe a decade after the events of this game. I started off with a generic thief character and then decided to give her a cameo. :)