ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Introduction to the forum

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby Woodfish » Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:02 pm

Welcome to the new Reviews Forum!

This came about after a long discussion on the state of reviews posted on the Official site. Too many people were writing short, non-explanatory reviews and giving bad, unjustifiable ratings. So, here is the solution!

Feel free to post reviews for any ADRIFT game, in any style you wish - the way you find gets across your point, explaining your views, and backing things up with reasons.

A few tips when writing reviews - try to suggest things, and offer improvements instead of just putting them down. Say which parts you enjoyed, and which parts you didn't. Give people reasons why they should or shouldn't play it.

I think the main point in reviews is to offer tips to the author, so they can make better games in the future, and to advise people as to what the game is about, and how good it is.

Get reviewing!
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby Cannibal » Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:21 pm

Great - we've all championed for this - I hope it will be a success and see plenty of use.

I've enjoyed reading the reviews over at Shadowvault so it will be good to see more appearing here.

Cannibal
Games:
The Plague (Redux), The Woods Are Dark, The Night That Dripped Blood
Cannibal

Postby The Mad Monk » Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:47 pm

Yes then--put those reviews up, Davidw!
In related news, Kenneth Ham reveals that he knows precisely squat about fossils. Film at eleven.

That's Poodle's lovely avatar up there...
The Mad Monk

Postby Captain Obvious » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:08 am

Are reviews in this forum limited to just ADRIFT games or is it open to general IF? Personally, I think it should be openned up. The ADRIFT community needs to experience the "outside" IF world. :)
Defender of the ridiculously apparent statement.

Email: CaptainObvious@earthling.net
Captain Obvious

Postby Woodfish » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:11 pm

Any interactive fiction, by any means.

I feel I ought to point out that I'm having trouble approving replies, so if you reply to a topic, it might be a while before it comes up. I'll speak to Campbell or KF about it soon.

I'll be posting a '3.90 Competition Reviews' thread tomorow, so let's hear all your thoughts on the games.
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby davidw » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:41 pm

I'm actually going to review the one room competition games for the next newsletter so I'll be able to get some pointers from what other people have said.
davidw

Postby looper » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:18 am

This may be slightly off-topic, but how about making this a reviews/hints forum, or making a hints forum? I didn't finish many of the 3.9 One Room Comp games 'cause I got stuck...
looper

Postby Woodfish » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:22 pm

That's a good idea - I'll suggest it to Campbell.
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby Woodfish » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:45 pm

Did you know?

There have been more 45 reviews in this forum!
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby KFAdrift » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:53 pm

It should be noted that reviews on this forum should meet the forum rules as posted at the top and elsewhere on the boards.

In particular it was necessary to remove an AIF review as it had specific sexual references not allowed on a board designated as family friendly. While such material is allowed elsewhere, you would not be allowed to place the game on the ADRIFT server, so logically a review is problematical.

This is posted for information purely to make clear the policy that is applied here.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Woodfish » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:38 pm

In the future, could you give some notice of when you're going to delete a review, so people could back it up if they want to post it somewhere else? And wouldn't it make sense to just put up a little notice saying 'contains sexual references' or something?
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby KFAdrift » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:44 pm

Woodfish wrote:In the future, could you give some notice of when you're going to delete a review, so people could back it up if they want to post it somewhere else?

1. No, the deletion was due to the nature of the content, that would then have still been there.

2. I did make a copy of the print version of the thread, as I said somewhere else, just so that if there were questions it could be referred to.

And wouldn't it make sense to just put up a little notice saying 'contains sexual references' or something?

That would be fair enough if such references were allowed, but Campbell's rules specifically ban "sexually oriented" material. It is therefore my job as a moderator to apply those rules. This doesn't mean I don't look at adult material, I do as is my right, merely that on this site these are the rules.
KF
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Cannibal » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:02 pm

It's interesting how "sexual references" or "references to a sexual act" are not allowed...

Yet the basis of 99% of adventures is adult orientated and involves the PC stealing, killing and all manner of other sinful behaviour...and this is allowed.

Cannibal
Games:
The Plague (Redux), The Woods Are Dark, The Night That Dripped Blood
Cannibal

Postby davidw » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:10 pm

Interesting point. I could write a game in which the player has to murder, maim and mutilate his way across a city and I doubt anyone would have a problem with it. Yet if I wrote a game in which the player had lots and lots of sex, it would be banned.

Strange how something as sickening as mindless violence is allowed yet something as harmless as sex is considered bad news.
davidw

Postby KFAdrift » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:18 pm

I agree that in such terms it looks silly. Trouble is we live in a world where a sexual act or swear word is considered by many to be more a more serious threat to public morality than viloence.

As I said before, the moderation is a factor more to do with perception. I know that much of this stuff is hardly likely to scare the horses, but there are a surprising number of parents who would, if they read some of the content of that review, decide this wasn't a place for little Johnny (or Julie) to surf to on their own.

Edited By KFAdrift on 1094419155
KF
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Next

Return to Game Discussions