Where Am I? - My very 1st, simple adventure game.

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.
Richarius

Post by Richarius »

Firstly - here's a link to the section with my game posting in it, for your convenience:

http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/new/adrift.cgi?script=adventures

Hey all. I've decided to upload my first simple text
adventure that I've created. Having written and tested it myself only thusfar, I BELIEVE that I have found all of the errors within it. Being something of a programmer in the Basic programming language for many years, I'm more'n familiar with errors / bugs missed in past works.

The main reason that I've posted the game up here is in hoping for any advice / constructive criticisms from others out there that may assist me in my teaching myself how to program IF / text adventures. (A desire that I've had for over 20 years, that I've finally begun working on.)

This is a very simple game that IS winnable. I've tried to add as many synonyms as logically / realistically possible to hopefully keep any player away from the Guess The Verb scariness.

To give something of an idea of the game, I'll post it's intro. here:

Awakening, giving your head a good shaking while slowly getting to your feet, looking around, you ask yourself "Where am I?"

In a small room that is approximately 9 feet by 9 feet in width by 9 feet high. And without any doors! "Whhhaaaaatttt?" you find yourself asking, in mild shock.

Trying to remember what had just happened, you had just taken your appointed seat at the 1st Annual Dumpster's Bakery Presidential Toast. Looking rather fetching in the More's 2 piece striped purple suit that you had picked up earlier in the day for this event, you were careful in not having the suit's arm sleeve brush against the butter as you reached for your glass of water and ...... that's all that you're able to remember!

Now - never mind why you're here but,.how do you get OUT of here??

Thank you greatly to any/everyone for any possible input / suggestions / corrections / constructive criticisms. I'm enjoying learning so far and shall continue to do so. :)
Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Rich
Richarius

Post by Richarius »

I wish to extend a great deal of thanks / appreciation and respect to Cowboy and Duncan_B for your transcripts / commentary during your running through my single room test 'game'. There were quite a few things that each of you mentioned that I had completely missed or that I had implemented incorrectly. I still have a fair bit of learning to do in programming IF / text adventure games and with the help that you both have provided me with, I'm enjoying my learning all that much the greater. :)
Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Rich
Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

You're welcome. Keep on truckin'.
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

A pleasure to help you Rich...

Keep up the good work ;)
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
Richarius

Post by Richarius »

Keep on truckin' with the good work? (Good mornin' Cowboy! lol)

I do believe my very first 'test attempt' were more'n far away from 'good work', but I were hoping within it, that I'd given enough of an idea, for others who're way more experienced'n I, to lemme know whether it were worth carrying on or not. From both of you, errors were pointed how along with suggestions / etc., which has helped me greatly. I've a LONG way to go yet, but ... weeeeeeeeeeee. rofl

I've just finished reading the 1st half of a Static fiction / IF conversation and OMFG! How far behind I am in my own language as well as fiction writing, knowledge wise it just about frightening! lol But ..... as Duncan'd said: "Keep on truckin'". Aye. That I shall and do. ;)
Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Rich
Richarius

Post by Richarius »

A minor update to my last post - continuing to learn more and more each and every day, as well as continuing work on what were originally intended as an 'expansion' of my posted 'miniature game' - 'Where Am I'.
The only thing that's somewhat recognizable in it now, is the 4 switch panel. The game's rebuild has been progressing extremely well into a somewhat darker / almost minor horror, story - with the way that it's progressing, if I continue at the speed that I've been working on it at, my current guess as to a beta request date could be within 1 to 2 weeks at the earliest.

Would posting it's Intro into a message here be a bad idea? All it'd do is give the minor background to the story. Or should I leave it to be read, within the game, only?
Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Rich
Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

I'd leave it within the game. If you get too excited and start telling us the whole thing, then what's the point of playing it? Leave some mystery for us, no?
Richarius

Post by Richarius »

Duncan_B wrote:I'd leave it within the game. If you get too excited and start telling us the whole thing, then what's the point of playing it? Leave some mystery for us, no?
That is EXACTLY the mind frame that I'm dealing with! :fart: lol

As with the last single room demonstration / etc., I'm becoming more and more excited in my newbieness creation, wishing to spread it everywhere. Haha. I'd even POSTED the 1st half of the Intro. within the previous message but then deleted it - deciding it may be better to ask, instead. ;)

Aye. Best to leave it all within the game so the entire experience may be taken at once, rather than dribbling any bits of it here.

Heh. Patience, I have to keep reminding myself. lol
Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Rich
NigeC

Post by NigeC »

Its usually the kiss of death promoting a game that isn't finished.. I promoted mine and promply blew it up lol...
Richarius

Post by Richarius »

NigeC wrote:Its usually the kiss of death promoting a game that isn't finished.. I promoted mine and promply blew it up lol...
Now that actually - is a very good point. :O If I come across the urge to tell anyone else of stuff in it again (beyond basic details) I'll try to keep THAT in mind! :thanks:
Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Rich
Richarius

Post by Richarius »

Well - here's a thought then, taking influence from Cowboy. :)

Current stats for the expanded version of my 1st miniature single room game:

Name: (tentative) Shady's Network Automatic Knowledge Enterprises
Rooms: (tentative, but currently active) 9
Objects: (a few more to add) 39
Tasks: (quite a few more to add) 107
Events: none added yet, but there will be
Characters: currently 1, with 3 more to add

1 concern that I'm having now, which I've really, no experience to base things on - is the amount of objects (red herrings, being some of them) and information that I have within the game so far. :O I'm the type of person that much prefers having details available (used or not) as opposed to a lack there-of. I suppose I'll find out, once this game is released, whether that be a preference to or deterrence from, other players.

In my mind so far as well (still to build/program) there are at least 2 ways to win the game. I'm considering a 3rd, as well as implementing a scoring system. A potential advantage to the latter I think, would for those that win without obtaining a full score. Perhaps, they may wish to play again to see if they can get a higher one?

Info. on any of this anyone, would be greatly appreciated as well. :)

(Now - I wonder if I should have posted this to a different thread. As I've said a few times now (mildly related) - I'm learning more, every day. ;)
Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Rich