Twenty-One - by Rob Roy

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.
Metron4

Post by Metron4 »

Greetings, folks!

I finally submitted my first game tonight. Please feel free to poke around the innards and dissect my pet project.

Ever since I discovered Adrift (almost exactly a year ago), I've been excited over the prospect of creating interactive fiction. Once I tooled around with the Generator, I decided I wanted very much to learn as much as I could on my own, to see if I had what it took to tackle tough problems myself. But I never would have made it without visiting these forums to solve many problems. I wish I had written down who wrote the post that solved a particular problem. All I can say is that you folks are fantastic, and I look forward to becoming an active participant.

Be seeing you,

Rob
The mind boggles...
Metron4

Post by Metron4 »

The sources of inspiration for this story are the EC horror comics from days of yore. In those stories, the "protagonists" were frequently iredeemable and full of character flaws that usually led to untimely demises. Only the reader gained the satisfaction of learning the details behind it all, and that's what this story attempts to bring to you.
The mind boggles...
Metron4

Post by Metron4 »

My apologies to anyone who has already tried the game and discovered many described items that I overlooked. I want to thank Duncan B for showing me just how frustrating that can be. I have uploaded a new version today that hopefully catches all of them and makes the story more enjoyable.
The mind boggles...
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

I had a little time to play around with this and I just wanted to say that it is fantastic for a first game. (or for that matter for a second, third, fourth...) :bravo:

There still are some minor problems with scenery objects not being described--nothing harmful to gameplay but you have to understand that the typical IF player is helplessly compelled to examine everything--but I can kind of understand why because of the cool little gimmick with the changing descriptions meaning that there are a lot of scenery objects. I guess my complaint here is really more about the parser getting snarky with me when I don't feel like I deserve it. :-P

The writing and plot were excellent, in fact the only critique I can think of is that the transition from slice-of-life to horror was a little abrupt. (Also, I never did figure out how to get to the 'winning' ending, but after a quick glance at the generator, maybe you could have played up the PCs jerkiness a bit more?)

Anyway, it feels awesome talking about things like pacing and character development with a newbie instead of being all, "Maybe use a spell checker next time? SIGH." :p Great job and thanks for making this! Have you considered writing something for the Ectocomp?

Edited By Lumin on 1256610229
Metron4

Post by Metron4 »

Glad you liked it! I promise less snarkiness in future releases. I initially wanted those descriptions to force myself to be vigilant with my descriptions. My logic dictated that I must describe everything, therefore the player would only see the snarky responses if they made a mistake.

Boy was I wrong!
The mind boggles...
DCBSupafly

Post by DCBSupafly »

I've just played 21, I suppose it's your re-release but I'm not sure. My thoughts are below:

I love the random descriptions/responses. This adds so much excitement to the game. I feel no need to repeat my actions for some mystery goal, but I get something new each time I check up on things.

I am currently stuck in the park and wondering how to get away!

So far, it's been sweet, and impressive especially for a first adventure!

I'll let you know if/when I figure it out.
Metron4

Post by Metron4 »

Glad you are enjoying it, DCBSupafly. If you downloaded it after the update date listed, you've got the latest.

Yes, the variety in responses is my answer to games I've played in the past that I wished had given just a little more "sentience" to repeat commands. I hope people feel it adds a freshness to gameplay, as well as softening the frustration one can feel after forgeting they've already tried something before.
The mind boggles...