Tic Tac Toe - You vs an Undead Rob Zombie

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.
justahack

Post by justahack »

Hello, I just finished a short little game that I thought people might enjoy. It's a tic tac toe game, where you play against the Adrift engine. Obviously, it's not a traditional text adventure game, but it occurred to me that it might be possible to make such a thing this morning, and so I went about doing that.

To add a little more detail, here is the copied intro from the game.

---
In the midst of giving your naughty kitten a bath, you were inexplicably summoned to the ends of the Universe. There the gods have gathered to have you stand trial for the crimes of humanity. After much deliberation behind closed space, the judgement has been decided:

You are to play one game, to the death, of tic-tac-toe. Your opponent will be an Undead Rob Zombie. If you win, humanity will receive a second chance. If you lose, earth will be annihilated, starting with your cat.
---

I will upload it here. Any feedback would be appreciated. :D
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Post by justahack »

Forgot to add media to the game. It's been added, and updated. :D
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Argh, I can't play this! What if I lose? That poor kitty...I just can't handle the responsibility! :(

Oh yes and also everything else on the Earth, that would make me feel bad too.
justahack

Post by justahack »

hehe, well, admittedly I did not invest much effort into the storyline. I mean, your opponent is an undead rob zombie, afterall. I was more interested in if I could get a somewhat responsive tic tac toe game to run on Adrift.
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
ralphmerridew

Post by ralphmerridew »

I tried playing this under SCARE, and I ran into the problem that undead rob zombie gets another turn after I win. (If I play 4,5,6, he can even win on that turn.)
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
justahack

Post by justahack »

Hi ralph, thanks for playing tic tac toe! I have tested it a few times under the conditions you outlined, namely, using the moves 4, 5, and 6. But, I do not seem to be running into the scenario where the zombie wins before you do.

Then I downloaded SCARE and tried running it there. Using the moves 4, 5, 6 garners initially a draw, then produces a lose scenario as you mentioned.

Not quite sure why that happens. I suspect it is something concerning the SCARE implementation, but that is just a guess. D:
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
Metron4

Post by Metron4 »

Cool new use of the game engine. Now I see why your opponent is a brainless zombie. I had to actually think about how to lose to him, lol. Did you experiment to see if it was possible to have the engine create moves based on your prior moves? I would guess that would require some math algorithm beyond the capabilities of Adrift (ooh, did you hear that, Campbell :) )
The mind boggles...
justahack

Post by justahack »

Hey thanks for playing!

There might be a way to make things more random but it would require doing things in a very indirect manner to accomplish the given effect. D:

As for actually trying to anticipate what someone will do or make moves based on prior moves, might seem a bit overkill since you can probably count how many permutations of a board there ever will be. That's not to mention that it would require facilities that Adrift does not have access to.
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
ralphmerridew

Post by ralphmerridew »

Straightforward unbeatable strategy for first player (from Magic Toyshop): (Not perfect, as it doesn't always win if the opponent screws up; for example, in response to 5-2-1-9, it might choose 3 (draw) instead of 7 (win).)

On each turn, use the first valid play from:
- Play the center
- Play to win
- Play to block
- Play random corner
- Play random edge
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier