ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT 5 Game - Jacaranda Jim

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

ADRIFT 5 Game - Jacaranda Jim

Postby Campbell » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:30 pm

I have been working on a sample game to demonstrate ADRIFT 5's capabilities, and to give some sort of guidelines on how to use it. So I have reproduced the game that got me into Interactive Fiction in the first place; Graham Cluley's "Jacaranda Jim". I created this before using ADRIFT 3.9, but decided to start over from scratch to use as many of the new features as possible.

Feel free to download, play, and examine the file in Developer.

If you would like to help me improve the game, you can find the original here. Please note, this is a 16-bit app, so won't run on 64-bit Windows without using an emulator such as DOSBox. I would love to see any transcripts of play, plus if anyone is able to give me any differences between this version and the original, I will try to encorporate those into the game.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it, it's certainly one of my favourite games. And at least there's now an Undo command, as you may well need to use it frequently!

Edit: Replaced with link, as game updated since originally posted: Jacaranda Jim
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: ADRIFT 5 Game - Jacaranda Jim

Postby NickyDude » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:58 am

Just downloaded and had a quick play, I like the humor :) This would be even better if it had a complete beginners guide of some sort explaining every little thing as I've had a look and it looks overwhelming to try and figure everything out. It does show the vast potential of V5 thought and especially the way you can arrange the Developer to suit your needs.
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby NickyDude » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Campbell, how did you resize all the folder windows? Is there a quick method to create specific sizes? I know you can 'tile vertically, horizontally' and just 'Tile' but is there a way to say 'Tile all windows to x width and x height?
NickyDude

Postby Campbell » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:41 pm

I think it just depends what size window you currently have. I just tiled those.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby NickyDude » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:45 pm

Hmm.. I have 1920 x 1080 and here's what it looks like when I 'Tile'.

NickyDude

Postby Campbell » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Ah, ok. Well, you can close or shrink the map first and then tile. Or get a bigger monitor... :-)
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby BlueMaxima » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Who in the WORLD would NEED to go higher than 1920x1080?!

(well, obviously you, you crazy crazy man)
BlueMaxima

Postby Campbell » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:25 am

I have managed to find another 40 points in the original of this game, meaning the ADRIFT version now has 2255 out of the 2400 maximum. If anyone is able to help me find the missing 145 points I would be very grateful!
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Amby » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:49 am

I found a walkthrough on the author's website but it doesn't mention how many points following it gives you. http://www.grahamcluley.com/jimsol.html
Amby

Postby Campbell » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks Amby. I think that one only gives 2175 points.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Hordriss » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:02 am

Thanks for posting this.

As a newbie to the world of Adrift (the developing at least), this gives me a lot to look at to help me get to grips with what it is able to do, and in turn what I could potentially do.
Hordriss

Postby Lyricasylum » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:43 pm

I played this game when it first came out, but I never solved it. I noticed a bug in this version. When you have the cucumber in the zoo canteen, and you push the green button, it's supposed to turn the cucumber into a gold key. But it doesn't work. The task is there, but it's not working.

I tried changing the initial location of the gold key to somewhere I can find it without using the green button. But now, the magic word "invoices" doesn't send me to the cell anymore.
Lyricasylum

Postby Campbell » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:57 pm

That's odd, as I regularly check against this game to check I haven't broken anything. I'll check it out.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:11 pm

The green button works for me. "invoices" works for me too.

Which version of the game are you playing? (Help > About Adventure), and in which version of Runner?
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lyricasylum » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:52 pm

I'm using 5.0.32.1 as the runner. I'm using Version 1. I downloaded it from the link in the first post of this thread. I'll try downloading it again and see if that helps.

Edit: I tried it again. I also notice this time that when I push the red and pink button, the carnation and red flag don't turn into the appropriate items. I have the carnation in the church and the red flag in the town hall, like I'm supposed to.
Lyricasylum

Next

Return to Game Discussions