ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Recommended Games

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Recommended Games

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:52 am

The idea of a Recommended Games thread came up, so here I am to start it. I'm going to begin with just games that are on the front of the Adventures page right now, so nobody will have to search for them.

I will begin with a note that I have 4 games on the front page right now (The Crooked Estate, the virtual human [v5], Whitterscap's Key, and I Was a Teenage Headless Experiment), and recommend all of them, since they have no ratings posted. :lol:

If you like an old skool style of adventure gameplay and quirky sci-fi settings, try Jacaranda Jim.

ECTOCOMP 2010 is chock full o' delights, even if you're not looking for a scary game (quite a few are actually comedies). It turned out to be quite a juicy collection, you really can't go wrong with it. And since each game was developed in such a tight time schedule, they play quickly, too!

Personally, my favourite recent ADRIFT adventure has been Mangiassaur, by DCBSupafly. Supafly seems to me to be one of the unsung heroes of ADRIFT authorship-- he has produced some absolute GEMS that I have heard almost nobody discuss. For Mangiassaur, click the link I've provided for Whitterscap's Key-- it's in the same compilation and by far the best of the three featured in it. I've posted a review for it elsewhere on the forum, as well, which I suppose I will have to re-post on the Adventures page to support it. The author's other game, Give Me Your Lunch Money is also a good one, clearly crafted with original thought and care. If the story of a picked-on kid standing up to three bullies with nothing but his imagination and love of invention doesn't capture your attention, you might only be half a human being. Plus, it's got its own soundtrack.

You might also want to check out the post-competition version of Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort, by this Tiberius Thingamus character. For those looking for a longer, more Zork-like adventure parody. It also has several different endings, synthesized speech and sound effects, and a >WIN command for the easily distracted.

Well, that's quite a lot for recommendations for now, and it turns out it's pretty late. Tomorrow I'll see if I can't have a bash at copying some of my comments over into reviews and ratings for the games in question.

Happy 'DRIFTing!
Duncan_B

Re: Recommended Games

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Looks like Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort got bumped off the first page by the Adventure remake. Ah, well, I still recommend it. It's too bad the reviews on IFDB don't show up on it in any way. Having been in IFComp, it is actually a game with MANY reviews.
Duncan_B

Postby rotter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Games recommended by the forum

Games recommended by Rotter

As said in another post these are, in my opinion, some of the best IF ever created with ADRIFT. :yeah:
Last edited by rotter on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:35 am

As per request, I have compiled a list of games from 2008 and onward which I believe are recommendable. I have put an asterisk (*) next to any which is my own work or is a competition which contains some of my own work, and a tilde (~) next to any which I might recommend with some reservations.

Beanstalk the and Jack
The Forest House (episode 1, version 2)
Happy Valley~
the virtual human*
The Odd Competition*
ECTOCOMP 2008
Clod's Quest: The Dungeons of Zivulda*~
Ghost Town~
Spring Ting (ESS Chance: Reactor 1, Mr. Fluffykin's Most Harrowing Adventure)
Vague
Shadowpeak~
Top Hat*
The Ascot*
The Dangers of Driving at Night (from ECTOCOMP 2009)
EvenComp*
JINXTRON*~
Albert is Lost!: An Adventure in Real Life*
Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort (post-comp version)*
Give Me Your Lunch Money
ECTOCOMP 2010*
Mangiasaur
The Crooked Estate*~

I also don't see the 2010 ADRIFT SummerComp games posted on the Adventures page, so I'll have to upload those. I felt that practically all of them are recommendable, for different reasons (one is my own). That particular comp displayed a wide variety of styles not just in writing, but in adventurecraft itself. I will go ahead and upload that for now, and get to work on posting some small reviews for the pieces in question so other 'DRIFTers can have a better idea of why I feel these particular works are on any level recommendable.

I do apologise for recommending so much of my own work, but I have been quite prolific. I think it would be unfair to exclude my work on the basis of there being so much of it.

EDIT: SummerComp games uploaded to the Adventures page, although I would like some way to be able to edit them without the page erroneously showing me to be the author of the entire set. Also, I s'pose my primary recommendations from that group include Pirate's Plunder!*, Aegis, and Motion~. Please note that these games are also all uploaded on IFDB already, and have reviews there if you seek further guidance.
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:13 am

My favourite ADRIFT games (up to 2007 or so):

The PK Girl
The Plague
Unraveling God
To Hell in a Hamper
Panic
The Woods are Dark
The Wheels Must Turn

Also, has anyone noticed that so many of the games on the main site are credited to the wrong people? The PK Girl was written by Hanadorobou but it's credit to Big Gahuda. The Plague was written by Cannibal but it's credited to Disciple. And that Anonymous chap is certainly a prolific author covering a wide range of genres and writing games in all different styles.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:26 am

I think big gahuda is Hanadorobou, and Cannibal is Disciple. I tried to link games up with the most recent forum id people have used. I may have got some things wrong tho so am happy to make changes.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:45 am

I've never understood the appeal of The PK Girl.
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:05 pm

Really? I've always considered The PK Girl to be the best ADRIFT game ever written. And it came 6th place in the IFComp - the highest any ADRIFT game has ever managed - so it's clearly a popular game with the rest of the IF world as well. I think it was the first time anyone wrote a game with ADRIFT that showed it's a system worth using; certainly there were no highly rated ADRIFT games prior to it. Overall, I'd hold the game up as a prime example of just what ADRIFT is capable of in the hands of someone who really knows how to use it.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:57 pm

In the interest of keeping this thread on track, I have written my response here. Sorry my off-hand comment was more loaded than I realised at the time I wrote it. Let's keep this thread focused on recommendations (and I'm lookin' at you, me...).
Duncan_B

Postby Cannibal » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Campbell wrote:...and Cannibal is Disciple.

Not to my knowledge :) Although if you want to credit the games to someone else feel free, they are certainly showing age and have plenty of cringe moments.

Nice shiny new forum BTW.
Games:
The Plague (Redux), The Woods Are Dark, The Night That Dripped Blood
Cannibal

Postby Campbell » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Ah, ok. Sorry about that. Assigned now.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:03 pm

It's nice to see that reviews have been streaming in lately. I was especially getting worried because the latest reviews I'd written all seemed negative, but now we've got some ones to recommend on the latest reviews list. Thanks to David Whyld for that. Any thoughts on re-posting them to IFDB (at least for the games that are already on its archives)?

Just a couple of notices you might want to edit: The PK Girl review says, "rendered with suck skill" where I assume it meant to say "such skill." Footnote [2] is missing from the Space Boy Volume II review.
Duncan_B

Postby Campbell » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Yeah, definitely looking good. Once there's more than a couple of reviews on the games it really makes it easier to find the better ones. Thanks.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Ah, thanks. I probably need to tidy up the review anyway. Just copied and pasted it.
David Whyld

Postby jimtun » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:45 am

Games on my must play list are -

1. The Potter and the Mould, by Robert Street
2. Must Escape!, by Robert Street
3. Veteran Knowledge, by Robert Street
4. Frustrated Interviewee, by Robert Street
5. Pathway to Destruction, by Richard Otter
6. Paint!!!, by David Whyld
7. To Hell in a Hamper
jimtun