ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

WiP 2012

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

WiP 2012

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:11 am

Oh God! I'm so naïve! But I'm doing it again. :blush:
Looking back at last years list isn't a encouraging sight. Lots of WiP's but not more than a few games were actually released (at least not the ones on the list)
Hopefully this year will show an increase in the number of games now that V.5 is running pretty smoothly (isn't it?)
This year I have opened the list for AIF games too. Just be sure to mark your game “AIF” if you submit one.

I'm trying something new this year. At the bottom of this page you'll find a list of WiP released during 2012. The only way this is going to work is if authors (YOU!) announce when you release a game.

This is the 2012 Wip List.
This is the place where you can add your Work in Progress, sharing it with fellow Drifters.. Feel free to add a couple of lines telling what the game is about.

WiP 2012: Update 01 October 2012
No games added, but a couple of releases.

Author: DazaKiwi
Game: Eye of the Dragon. (V5)
Set in the 1950s London. You play a retired detective who's mind isn't quite what it was.

Game: Dive (Working title) (v5)
Can't say too much with out it being a spoiler beyond the fact its underwater

Game: The Negotiator (working title) (v5)
(Concept and planning phase)

Author: Duncan Bowsman
Game: Irvine Quik & the Search for the Fish of Traglea Released 01 Oct. 2012
Science fiction adventure! Extinction looms for the fish, the people, the entire planet of Traglea. Can one bumbling space cadet learn the secrets of Traglean karate? Can he rescue and clone enough alien fish before it's too late? Find out... and help save the planet!
Likelihood of finishing 100%! Due to be presented for a limited showing in April and entered in IFComp in August.

Game: Given a Choice?
Stewart, a panicky high schooler, always gets pushed around. Will he ever get Andy to leave him alone, maybe even befriend him? What choices will you tell Stewart to make, and how will they matter?
Likelihood of finishing Possible. Not my primary focus right now, it has one large scene which still needs to be written, with multiple possible outcomes. Definitely won't be seeing any sort of progress until after June, at the earliest.

Author: Hensman Int'l
Game: Ba'Roo! (v.4):
Still under revision

Game: Batman - Fearsome Foursome Fisticuffs (v.5)
Concept phase

Game: The Magician's Niece (v.5)
WiP priority dropped but still active.

Game: SADR (v.5)
Concept phase

Game: The Sidewinder Affair (v.4)
Low priority WiP - will change to v.5

Game: Smack (v.4)
Lowest priority WiP

Game: The Successor (v.4)
Still low priority revision - will change to v.5

Game: Survival on 314 (v.5)
New storyboard phase (originally a video game concept, but might be better as an IF)

Game: A Weird Al Nightmare (v4.0)
Any description of the game is a major spoiler

Author: Jin Sane
Game: Castle Chronicle

Author: Lazzah
Game: The Fortress of Fear: In beta
An epic adventure featuring Duke Alaric Blackmoon, you have to find your way through the fortress of the Teutonic Knights to do battle with the mad sorcerer Wladyslaw. This is not an adventure for the faint-hearted - it will take you many moons of logical and devious thought to complete!

Author: Peechiz
The Life Subquatic.
It concerns a young crewman and a "borrowed" submarine.

Author: Po. Prune:
Game: D-Day
My old game started in V.4 but is now being converted into V.5

Game: Anno 1696
You are a College student whom have grown tired of his studies. You decide to take the summer off and luckily you get a job as a receptionist at a hotel near the coast. Little does you know that the hotel has a history and hides a gruesome secret. You get a lot of history as you explore the surroundings and get involved in the bloody past of Lulu-Belle's safe Harbor.

Game: Son of Camelot: Released 01 Oct. 2012
The last in the Camelot trilogy (I hear sighs of relief but I had planned this and I'm going through with it.)
Remembering all the stories your dad told you about his “glorious” deeds at Camelot you decide to go to England to see the Castle. To your utter disappointment the Castle is nothing but a ruin, but as you meet the pretty guide and the ghostly knight things take a turn towards the unexpected.

WiP released in 2012

Author:

Game:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: WiP 2012

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:41 am

Author: Duncan Bowsman

Game: Irvine Quik & the Search for the Fish of Traglea
Science fiction adventure! Extinction looms for the fish, the people, the entire planet of Traglea. Can one bumbling space cadet learn the secrets of Traglean karate? Can he rescue and clone enough alien fish before it's too late? Find out... and help save the planet!

Likelihood of finishing: 100%! Due to be presented for a limited showing in April and entered in IFComp in August.

Game: Given a Choice?
Stewart, a panicky high schooler, always gets pushed around. Will he ever get Andy to leave him alone, maybe even befriend him? What choices will you tell Stewart to make, and how will they matter?

Likelihood of finishing: Possible. Not my primary focus right now, it has one large scene which still needs to be written, with multiple possible outcomes. Definitely won't be seeing any sort of progress until after June, at the earliest.
Duncan_B

Postby Lazzah » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:46 am

Author: Lazzah:
Game: The Fortress of Fear: Ready for Beta
An epic adventure featuring Duke Alaric Blackmoon, you have to find your way through the fortress of the Teutonic Knights to do battle with the mad sorcerer Wladyslaw. This is not an adventure for the faint-hearted - it will take you many moons of logical and devious thought to complete!
[/quote]
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:50 pm

Please note that the "likelihood of finishing" parts I wrote are not WIPs. They simply describe the chances that Irvine Quik and Given a Choice? will be finished this year.
Duncan_B

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:27 am

Ohh Shoot! :blush:
I was wondering why thre was two likelihood of finishing... It's been fixed.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby ralphmerridew » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:20 pm

What do you mean by "limited showing"? To be entered in IFcomp, it must be unreleased. (I'm surprised that Yon Astounding Castle was allowed, thought that had just been a demo released.)
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:24 pm

As a requirement for my thesis, it will be exhibited at the art show at the end of this month. However, it will only be available physically at UC Santa Cruz (not released online), and is likely only to be glanced at or played for a few minutes at most by passers-by.

I've already conferred with Stephen Granade on the subject. He says it should still be eligible. If there is some sort of outcry over it, though, I will withdraw it.
Duncan_B

Postby Duncan_B » Tue May 08, 2012 10:01 pm

So, I am still working on the toward release of two games, _Irvine Quik_ and _Given a Choice?_. The former is more complete than the latter, but both very close. I'm also working toward the second release of _Back Home_ with James Webb. We've been fortunate enough to find a body of prose horror authors whose editor is totally into text adventures! He says he'd be happy making an announcement about its release to the audience of MicroHorror.com. I hope that might bring some more authors to IF by way of horror, maybe even into ADRIFT.

It looks like most ADRIFT authors are saving their WIPs for IFComp this year? I may release _Irvine Quik_ before IFComp over concerns for its length. Given the two-hour rule, I'm not sure people will finish it in time. As far as I know, I'm the only one who's played the whole thing through.

Would anyone like to volunteer as a beta-tester for _Irvine Quik_?
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Tue May 08, 2012 10:13 pm

I have a WiP that I intend to enter in the Spring Thing next year if it's finished in time. The IFComp, though? Nope, not after the rule change last year.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Wed May 09, 2012 7:32 am

Duncan_B wrote:Would anyone like to volunteer as a beta-tester for _Irvine Quik_?

When do you need the tester?
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Peechiz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:00 pm

For my first game, I'm working on a short undersea adventure that I'm calling The Life Subquatic. It concerns a young crewman and a "borrowed" submarine.
Peechiz

Postby Lumin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:09 am

Duncan_B wrote:We've been fortunate enough to find a body of prose horror authors whose editor is totally into text adventures! He says he'd be happy making an announcement about its release to the audience of MicroHorror.com. I hope that might bring some more authors to IF by way of horror, maybe even into ADRIFT.

Is this still the case? Maybe he'd be willing to advertise the Ectocomp itself this year.

Come to think of it I have a couple of entries I was pretty fond of but couldn't finish on time still sitting on my hard drive, maybe I should dust one off and finish it one of these days if it means ADRIFT gets a nice shoutout...
Lumin

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:53 am

Unfortunately, I don't feel like I can get him to make such an announcement (and expect a good reception, at any rate), until we can get v4 adventures working properly in an online interpreter. It's 2012, and that's how most people are going to want to play the game. As soon as the game can be played successfully to completion in the online Runner, I will notify said editor.

He might also be into Ectocomp, true. I haven't asked yet. I'll probably ask either when we get the online Runner displaying properly and send him this notification about Back Home, or else I'll bring the comp to his general attention some time late September/early October.
Duncan_B

Postby Lumin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:31 am

If he'd be willing to post a link right around voting time, that would be fantastic. :) I'm willing to bet there's a lot of potential for crossover between the two communities - IF's way of immersing the reader makes it uniquely suited for horror.

Anyway, I've been browsing through a few stories...I remember reading one of your there ages ago when you linked it but I never really poked around beyond that. It really is a neat little site. Once I get my IntroCOmp entry wrapped up I think I'm going to try and submit something...
Lumin

Postby Campbell » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:42 am

Duncan_B wrote:...until we can get v4 adventures working properly in an online interpreter. It's 2012, and that's how most people are going to want to play the game. As soon as the game can be played successfully to completion in the online Runner, I will notify said editor.
Please let me know of anything that doesn't work correctly in WebRunner. The only real difference I'm aware of currently is <waitkey> not working.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Next

Return to Game Discussions