ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

I tried to play PK Girl

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

I tried to play PK Girl

Postby Jin Sane » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:11 am

I've already run into numerous bugs and errors.

Including this wonderful experience, trying to converse with the girl on the bench:

>sit on bench
You sit on the circular bench.

>talk to girl
What will you say to her?
1) [Say nothing, just smile]
2) "I love you!"
3) "Mind if I share this bench?"

>3
"What? Oh, share the bench. Of course", says the girl.

>ask girl about ice cream
[L-onbench,1,1]

>talk to girl about ice cream
You stimulating conversation seems to have died. You can't think of anything to say to her.

and this, upon entering the ice cream parlour (which I assume is my target destination at this point):
>say hello to shop keeper
"Ah, would you like to order an ice cream cone?" asks the shop keeper in a bright and friendly voice.

1) "Yes"
2) "No thanks."

>1
The time has passed to say that.

>yes
Pardon me?

>order ice cream
But you haven't eaten the last ice cream cone that you ordered.

>inventory
You are wearing nothing, and are carrying pocket change, an issue of Tatto Digest and the game package Everblood.

>eat ice cream
You can't see any!

Five minutes in and I'm tired of the screw-ups. Why is the game held in such high regard, exactly?
Jin Sane

Re: I tried to play PK Girl

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:22 am

As a person who has not given it a high score, I'm gonna go ahead and say you're not giving it a fair shake. What interpreter are you playing it on? You shouldn't be running into those problems if you're playing it using the ADRIFT 4 Runner.
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:55 am

I certainly never ran into any errors like that with the game and I played it quite a lot. I'm guessing you're playing it online with the Webrunner or offline with ADRIFT 5, right?
David Whyld

Postby Jin Sane » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:49 pm

Dya' reckon it would work properly in Runner 4? I just assumed Version 5's runner would be compatible with older games. Perhaps it isn't.
Jin Sane

Postby Campbell » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:26 pm

It's almost there, but there are a few bits I still need to fix. Mostly because I don't have examples of problems, so the bits you've posted will be most helpful.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:46 pm

Jin Sane wrote:Dya' reckon it would work properly in Runner 4? I just assumed Version 5's runner would be compatible with older games. Perhaps it isn't.

In theory it should be, but in practice...

My IFComp entry last year, written in the latest release of ADRIFT 4 available at the time, ran into errors with ADRIFT 5 - and that's a game written in 2011. The PK Girl was written in 2002, and it was the largest and most complex game written with ADRIFT at that stage, so it's not surprising that, ten years later, it doesn't play flawlessly with the latest release. But try playing it with the ADRIFT 4 Runner and it should be fine.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:55 pm

Instead of trying to convert 4.0 to 5.0, it's probably best to write a separate core for running 4.0 games. Barring that, I'll repeat my suggestion that it should put a message at the start that the game has been converted, and is not the same game that the original author tested.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Jin Sane » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm gonna' totally re-download Runner 4 and give this another swing. Thanks, guys.
Jin Sane

Postby Jin Sane » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:58 pm

So, I'm in need of a little advice.

I tried to enter the bar. The girl in tow tried to stop me of course. But, being slightly drunk myself at this point, I was like "nah, screw that. GO NORTH"

Now I can't find the girl and there's a manhole which probably needs some kind of item. Can I get a hint?
Jin Sane

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:07 am

Just keep looking around. You'll find her soon enough.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Jin Sane » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:56 pm

Will do.

Just wanted to make sure I hadn't killed myself. Thanks =]
Jin Sane

Postby gavind » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:40 pm

Just wanted to make sure I hadn't killed myself. Thanks =]

Smiles* I hope you haven't killed yourself yet. Any luck so far?
gavind

Return to Game Discussions