ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

NEW GAME - The Fortress of Fear

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

NEW GAME - The Fortress of Fear

Postby Lazzah » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:06 am

My first-ever ADRIFT game "The Fortress of Fear" is now finished and available for download at:

http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?pag ... advid=1366

It is a very big game with over 280 locations, 38 characters and a vast amount of gameplay - do not expect to solve this adventure in a few evening sessions! This game was first conceived more than 15 years ago and the ADRIFT version is nearly two years in the making.

A walkthrough is available if you wish to review the adventure, please send me a PM.

I hope you enjoy playing it!

EDIT: This adventure is very much an "old-fashioned, dungeon-crawler" type game, so please bear this in mind if you decide to give it a go - which I hope that you will do!
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Re: NEW GAME - The Fortress of Fear

Postby gavind » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Has anyone took this out for a spin yet? The game looks pretty small, only about 1MB.
gavind

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:39 pm

gavind wrote:Has anyone took this out for a spin yet? The game looks pretty small, only about 1MB.

Considering that most games are counted in Kb I would say that a game 1 Mb is pretty big.
And as for whether anyone has taken it out for a spin.. There's a link right there.. Give it a try... :wink:
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:29 pm

A novel, as pure text, tends to be on the order of a megabyte. Going by the Project Gutenberg sizes, _The Good Earth_ is 600 kb; _War and Peace_ is 3 MB. I don't remember whether FoF had any graphics or sound, which tend to dominate the game files that include them.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 pm

gavind wrote:Has anyone took this out for a spin yet? The game looks pretty small, only about 1MB.

Well, if you consider a "small" game as being one that you would be hard-pressed to complete in less than 1800 moves! :)

There are some graphics but no sound. The taf file is 564kb.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:23 pm

It's worth bearing in mind that most ADRIFT games weigh in at about 30-50 Kb, with few ever making it as far as 100 Kb. Anything larger than 100 Kb is a pretty big game as far as text adventures are concerned.

For V4 games, I seem to remember that 500 words works out at roughly 1 Kb, so a game of 50 Kb would contain approximately 25,000 words – which is the size of a short story or novella. A 150 Kb game would contain roughly 75,000 words – the same as a novel.

So if Lazzah's game is 546 Kb of pure text, that's over 250,000 words – or the size of a large novel. In other words, a very, very large game.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Hmm, perhaps I should add a statistic (in Properties) of how many words there are in the game.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:48 pm

David Whyld wrote:It's worth bearing in mind that most ADRIFT games weigh in at about 30-50 Kb, with few ever making it as far as 100 Kb. Anything larger than 100 Kb is a pretty big game as far as text adventures are concerned.

For V4 games, I seem to remember that 500 words works out at roughly 1 Kb, so a game of 50 Kb would contain approximately 25,000 words – which is the size of a short story or novella. A 150 Kb game would contain roughly 75,000 words – the same as a novel.

So if Lazzah's game is 546 Kb of pure text, that's over 250,000 words – or the size of a large novel. In other words, a very, very large game.

Wow! I never thought of FoF in those terms. I exported the game as a module, opened it in Notepad then saved it as a text file which I then loaded into MS Word. The word count was 480,550 but a lot of that will not actually be the text I typed in.

I always said that writing text adventure games is the nearest I will ever get to writing a book - looks like I have written several then!

Campbell wrote:Hmm, perhaps I should add a statistic (in Properties) of how many words there are in the game.

That would be great, Campbell, shall I bung up an item?
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Hmmm... V5 seems to add a lot of extra words to a game file. One of my works in progress when exported from V4 comes to 23,233 words; the same game exported from V5 weighs in at 48,925 words - more than double the size of the V4 file.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:48 pm

V5 games will be bigger than V4 games because a good deal of what V4 handled in the Runner .exe file (the standard library) is stored in the V5 taf file.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Campbell » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 pm

That's true rm. Also, the v5 format uses XML, which is designed to be flexible rather than concise, in contrast to the v4 module format.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:52 pm

Lazzah wrote:
Campbell wrote:Hmm, perhaps I should add a statistic (in Properties) of how many words there are in the game.

Sure. I should be able to just count the text words so will be a lot more accurate than analyzing a module.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:53 am

Campbell wrote:
Lazzah wrote:

Sure. I should be able to just count the text words so will be a lot more accurate than analyzing a module.

Item bunged at: http://www.adrift.co/bug/18759

Please vote up!
Lazzah

Postby reelyor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:35 am

Congratulations on your release of this project. Quite an accomplishment.
"Live well, Love much, Laugh often"

Working on: "Deperate Isle" and "Niki - An Adult Graphic Adventure"

reelyor@msn.com
Roy
reelyor

Postby Campbell » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:03 pm

Looks like this game is being discussed on the Int Fiction forum.
Campbell
Site Admin

Next

Return to Game Discussions