ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

What are you working on?

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Re: What are you working on?

Postby David Whyld » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Even so, the Inform 7 way looks a lot more straightforward.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:57 pm

That is the thing about I7. It's fairly easy to understand what the code means. But if you want to write that code, you have to be quite precise with the syntax and punctuation.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby NickyDude » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:14 pm

It does seem that Campbell is trying to simplify things which I'm grateful for. I've even managed to create General and Specific 'smash' tasks which actually work! :D
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Kitsune Zeta » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Campbell wrote:
Kitsune Zeta wrote:I'm also giving the standard library a look-over to fix any blatant problems (such as "examine myself" failing after player character change or the "remove before drop" task possibly sending items in your inventory to another character)
Ooh, be sure to let me know so I can fix in the distribution. :blush:

Most of the easily-fixed ones refer specifically to the character with the key "player" instead of [ The Player Character ] and can be found by changing said character's name and going through the library. The "examine %character%" one, as well as any command that could refer to the player, is an oddball because the fix I have for it is kind of weird and will involve a lot of special-case general tasks being made, but could be remedied by allowing Adrift to treat "me" and "myself" as indicating [ The Player Character ] instead of indicating a specific character, but that can't be done from the Adrift Generator* side. For now, I have a global task matching more or less the same input and output as the examine character command, only with "myself" or "me" as exact words instead of %character%, and any additional commands that need this fix will be done manually as well.

These also only need to be fixed if you ever switch player characters, which I don't think most people will use.

* I know it's called the Adrift Developer now. habit.
Current projects: untitled Science-Fiction project (Adrift V5), Adrift V5 library development/refinement
Kitsune Zeta

Postby Lumin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:24 pm

To bump this thread and get it back on track, I may be releasing...something or other, soon. Nothing amazing but I'm just sad hardly anyone seems to write Adrift games anymore. :(

I'm still chipping away at my big experimental game with the detailed craft system, just tackling one area at a time. I'm reasonably happy with the alchemy system now but have kind of hit a brick wall with hunting and leatherworking. Still, progress is being made, just sloooooowly.

As for projects that I might actually finish one day, I've gotten quite a bit done on patching up my old game Aegis, mostly thanks to a transcript Po. Prune kindly sent me back in the day. The 'character must be on character' restriction has been a godsend to, it's letting me rip out a bunch of ugly, clumsy, half-broken tasks I had cobbled together. The whole game is such a mess though, I may not have really released anything sense then but I've gotten WAY better at organizing the stuff I do write.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:01 am

Lumin: I'd be happy to see a re-release of Aegis. I really enjoyed the original. I remember from reading the code for Happy Valley that you organized things well. Getting things organized was one of the major challenges in finishing Irvine Quik.

As for what I'm working on, I still sometimes work at an unconventional, choice-based game in ADRIFT 4 which is sort of a prequel to Irvine Quik. I'm also developing a mod for Legend of Grimrock and writing superhero stories, reviews, essays, and things on my blog. I recently printed several copies of a collection of short horror stories, though it is not yet officially published (soon!). IF-wise, I've also been asked to review the XYZZY Finalists in the Best Setting Category.

I was a bit disappointed to see no ADRIFT games nominated this year, though I'm willing to guess nobody here voted anyway. I attempted to nominate "Cut the Red Wire, No the Blue Wire!" for Best Individual Puzzle. Personally, I thought HiRBy might have been a contender for Best NPC, but I was apparently wrong. But I suppose that's a conversation for another thread.
Duncan_B

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:33 am

I am working on several projects, one inspired by the indie game called Cart-life, the player is a subway driver who works night shift. The other project is Urbex crossed with The Twilight Zone.

The third project is an experiment that holds much promise for a coop Adrift game. Thinking along the lines of email based games where a player makes so many amount of turns before their round is over and saves the game, sends it to the other player. So far it works nicely. What's even more interesting is that you can still addon to the main game (ie. Add new locations and objects) whilst still retaining values and states in the saved game. If any of you are familiar with "Sleep is Death" game by Jason Rohrer then this is sort of the inspiration for that idea. Being able to addon new content as the story plays out. Or it can be a complete storyworld with everything in place. Where two characters/players have a main objective goal that will clash with the other character and in say fifteen moves per round each player has to reach their objective first. One player might be the antagonist for example or they work together by splitting up. At the moment i am working on 2 player western themed story as proof of concept. Anyone interested in this let me know. As i would like to in the near future playtest this out and have some feedback and ideas. I think it would be a new area to explore in IF, of course there will be some bumps in the road.

I know having three projects seems too much, but when i get stuck on one i can jump to the other and do some work on it.
DazaKiwi

Postby saabie » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:40 am

I'm currently working on a simulation of five card draw poker (mostly as an exercise to see what I can get ADRIFT to do).
Then I will get back to the Shopping/Clothing/Elevator/Battle/NPC ADRIFT libraries I am writing before knuckling down on an IFComp entry later in the year.
saabie

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Although I’ve always been against having more than one project going at a time, I’m afraid I too fell into the trap.
I have three projects that I’m working on at the moment.

1: D-Day: This baby has been underway for quite some time now. I’ve got all the pictures and sound effects and I’m currently transferring the V.4 files and text into V.5.
You play the role of one of the many thousand Allied soldiers landing on the beaches of Normandy Tuesday June 6th. Your first task is to get off the beach alive and then the game will evolve from there
I want to release it on June 6th (D-Day) but since I have no chance of getting anywhere near finish this year; I have sort of put it on the back burner and concentrate on other things.

2: The Inheritance: My entry for the Annual Adrift Comp. 2013:
You and your uncle wasn’t very close in his last years and you were as surprised as the rest of the family when you found out that he had left his big mansion to you.
I don’t want to give away too much of the plot at this moment, so I’ll leave it at that.

3: We’ll meet again: A romantic game set in the 1990, but with a twist. Your uncle was one of Churchill’s “few” and as his only living relative you have been invited to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. The party is being held in one of the famous “waterholes” used by the pilots when they were on leave. I’ve got the storyline set up and I’m working on the finer details at the moment,
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:51 pm

I've almost finished working on "Montgomery Thwick - Treasure Hunter Extraordinaire", which is, funnily enough, about a treasure hunter extraordinaire (or so he thinks anyway) called Montgomery Thwick who's exploring a vast ruined castle looking for treasure... but things aren't quite what they seem. This is likely to be my entry in the End of Year Comp.

I've also been working on "Travels with SADI", set in a fictional city called Bizan-Toll, which is part-sci-fi, part-fantasy. It's currently stalled due to me needing to have a serious think about how a key part of the game works, but I hope to have it finished in time for the Spring Thing 2014.

And I've been working on a new version of my old game "Sophie's Adventure", after playing it recently and coming away kind of depressed at how buggy it was. Typos galore, and loads of grammatical errors, not to mention I was able to break a conversation right at the start of the game. I certainly tested that baby well :(
David Whyld

Previous

Return to Game Discussions