ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Anyone Playing "Full Circle"?

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Anyone Playing "Full Circle"?

Postby Lazzah » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:55 am

Hi all,

I have restarted playing "Full Circle" by David Whyld and am stuck. I know I have to get into the cave and need to light the branch to provide a source of light. I got a hint from David himself which was to "try the first location and see what you can find." Has anyone found anything in the Glade because I cannot?

Thanks.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Re: Anyone Playing "Full Circle"?

Postby David Whyld » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:13 am

Hint:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
try examining everything. Literally.

Especially the statue.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:51 am

David Whyld wrote:Hint:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
try examining everything. Literally.

Especially the statue.

Duh! This just goes to show how, after years of writing games, I have become useless at PLAYING them! :?
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Hmm... I suppose I'd missed the cave almost entirely. I hadn't thought about lighting the branch, as the text seems to suggest it's a weapon. I've been unable to use it as a weapon, though, so far. It seems it's possible to get stuck (as I was) on the east side of the quicksand?

I don't want to just list off all the ways I'm stumped by the game because I don't want to spoil the whole thing for myself or anyone else because the story promises an intriguing mystery. I suppose what would really help is if a hint or walkthrough document accompanied the game. I was kind of surprised to find the game didn't have one. Would it be too much to ask for the author to supply one? I ask this in earnestness rather than snark, knowing the author is busy with non-game things as well. If not, perhaps we the players could start to stitch something together from what we know (or think we know)?
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:41 pm

There is indeed a walkthrough available for the game. Actually in the Runner itself. You just type

- walkthrough

to access it.

And it should be impossible to get stranded on the east side of the quicksand if there's anything on the other side you need. If you still need key items from the first part of the game (i.e. before the quicksand), you will always be able to go back to find them.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:43 pm

It's amazing how a small discussion about a game instantly makes you want to play it... :)
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Ah! The > walkthrough command isn't mentioned in the game's help text. Perhaps that could be amended.

Okay... hm. I've just tried it, but it doesn't work for me (I get the game's default, "Sorry. I didn't understand that. Type COMMANDS..."). I get the same response when I type save, actually, though restart and restore do work.

Was there perhaps a later release or an update of the game that I missed? Might this be a problem with using an older release of the v5 Runner? I see I am running release 25 and should be at release 29. Will remedy.
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:20 pm

You need to type

- walkthrough

including the dash.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Works, thanks, though I wish it hadn't been so obscure. Saving still does not work.
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:44 pm

It wasn't so much a case of it being obscure as me simply deciding to wait for someone asking for the walkthrough before supplying the necessary command for it. I always feel that if a walkthrough is immediately available, then the first time the player gets stuck, rather than trying to figure out the puzzle on their own, they'll simply check the walkthrough. The lack of a walkthrough encourages people to try solving puzzles the old-fashion way (which in my case is the time-honoured method of slamming my head into the desk until something clicks).

"Save" works if you play the game with the V4 Runner, so I'm guessing that's an issue caused due to you playing the game with the V5 one.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:46 pm

I was glad to see Lazzah's review of this game show up today. It sounds like he enjoyed it. I wonder what David thinks of "Fortress of Fear?" If people have the time, I would love to see a revival of the old "Review Exchange." Even an infrequent one would be better than none!

I have read through the game using the walkthrough for the most part, but there are some things I have yet to try with the game before I write about it.
Duncan_B

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Full Circle now has a page on IFDB with a link to Larry's review. Feel free to modify the page as you desire. I'll see about getting an IFWiki page up at some point, too.
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:02 pm

I'd certainly like to see the Reviews Exchange make a comeback, but I'm not sure how successful it would be right now, particularly considering how few ADRIFT games are being released. Unless every game released in the last year gets multiple reviews, we'd struggle to have enough content for a single issue.
David Whyld

Postby David Whyld » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:42 am

Actually, thinking about it, might it be worthwhile to try and revive the Reviews Comp idea from last year? I remember it ended up as a bit of a non-event* but I think it could have real legs if we could get a few people interested. Maybe concentrating on current games as opposed to older ones, because, while it's nice to see any reviews full stop, there's more interest in reviewing games that have only just been released as opposed to those that have been out for five years.

* I withdrew my own review because of issues between the version of ADRIFT I was using and the version the game was written in, which meant my review was pretty unfavourable through no real fault of the author.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:10 am

Sounds like a good idea to me.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to Game Discussions