ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The Nasty Escape by S11m0niC

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

The Nasty Escape by S11m0niC

Postby David Whyld » Thu May 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Right away, I knew I wasn't going to like this game. How did I know? Well, the author told me. Right there in the introductory paragraph, he says he's kinda "n00bish" and not to expect a lot. Ouch. Way to turn people away before they've even started playing your game.

Unfortunately, the game is pretty n00bish. Lots of items that can't be examined, room descriptions that don't change to reflect items being removed (the wooden box and the rakes, in particular, are still listed as being in their initial location even if you take and drop them somewhere else), the text jumping back and forth between referring to the player as "you" and "I" and no indication of what I'm even meant to be doing. Why am I in the basement in the game's first location? Why, once I'm out of the basement, don't I simply leave the grounds and escape?

I didn't play it till the end, but long enough to satisfy myself that there wasn't much of a game here. Definitely not recommended.
David Whyld

Re: The Nasty Escape by S11m0niC

Postby Po. Prune » Mon May 23, 2016 8:39 am

Although this is an ancient post it's still very up-to-date.
It's a brilliant example on what not to do when making and releasing a game. Looks like the author has made every mistake in the book. :blush:
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Mon May 23, 2016 9:13 am

That was a little blast from the past. Did you recently play this game yourself?
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Mon May 23, 2016 6:43 pm

David Whyld wrote:That was a little blast from the past. Did you recently play this game yourself?

I did actually. I couldn't even remember it :wink:
I went back to the games section to try it out after reading your review and found that I had already written a review... :roll:
Well, it can't have made that big of an impression could it? :wink:
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Return to Game Discussions