ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT Book Club

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

ADRIFT Book Club

Postby David Whyld » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:26 am

Somehow I've ended up being nominated to kick this off. I'm not sure how that happened, but as no one else has volunteered I guess I might as well take a stab at it and see where it goes.

So… pick an ADRIFT game and get people to play it, review it, vote on it, provide feedback on it? Hmmm… I can't really pick one of my own (much as I'd like to!) because that would be a little self-serving, and the main site is looking pretty sparse right now. Only two new games uploaded this year so far, one of them being Lazzah's mammoth Fortress of Fear, probably not a good choice to begin with due to its sheer size, and the other being a game by the ever prolific Anonymous called My School Social Studies Project, which makes me want to hate it even before I've ever downloaded it, and, after downloading it and playing it for five minutes, doesn’t really make me want to suggest it for the first ADRIFT Book Club.

Casting the net a little wider onto IFDB, I see a game entered in the IFComp 2012 which hasn’t received much (or any) feedback from the ADRIFT community itself - probably because it wasn’t even uploaded to the main site (an oversight?) - so I figured this was as good a game as any to start with. (And also because the author was one of the people nominating me to kick this off. Ah yes, payback's fun.)

So, without further ado, I present to… drum roll please…

Irvin Quik & the Search for the Fish of Traglea by Duncan Bowsman which can be downloaded from

http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=qiso9f9dphdlcrk

It should be noted that this is an ADRIFT 4 game, so don’t try playing it with the ADRIFT 5 Runner (the game even warns you'll run into problems if you do).
David Whyld

Re: ADRIFT Book Club

Postby Campbell » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:19 am

Can I suggest that this game is added to the ADRIFT site?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:42 am

Definitely. Apologies about the lateness of response here, I was trying to come up with something pithy to say about it and have failed completely in that regard. Spent the rest of my time writing some reviews for the XYZZYs. I'm glad my game has been chosen, and I hope people are as eager to talk about it as I am. Also, please make sure you've got version 3, which is the most recent. If you find enough terrible things in it, you might even guilt me into making a version 4, who knows?

Also, David, I hope you don't feel singled out as an arbitrator of the Book Club. My idea was that all moderators should participate at least eventually. Totally glad you are the moderator at hand to get it kicked off, though, and feel free to change the rules as ye see fit. Perhaps Mystery and Po. Prune will join in later?

Cheers, everyone!
Duncan_B

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:15 am

Where is version 3 available?
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:46 pm

No, I don't mind. I knew someone would have to kick it all off and at least now I've had my turn, it'll be a good few months until I do it again.

In the meantime, let's just hope we have some people taking part.

Edit: Version 3 is the one I linked to, though the version number on IFDB is listed as 'unknown' for some reason. But in the game, it's definitely version 3.
David Whyld

Postby pinosante » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:04 pm

A book club needs deadlines and participants. So: we need people saying "Cool! I'll participate" in this thread. And secondly: a deadline for which they'll have to hand in a review. If they pass the deadline, too bad so sad, we play another game.

"Cool! I'll participate!" and try this game out.
pinosante

Postby Po. Prune » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:58 am

I like the idea about the book club, but I can't help but somehow feel this isn't the right time to launch it. I realize that I sound like a spoil sport, but considering that this is the summertime and usually a very dead period for Adrift I'm afraid that many people won't have time to participate, or even see the posting.
I, for one, won't have the time to play Duncan's game (although the part I have played earlier was very captivating) I've got too much on my plate at the moment.
I'll keep an eye on this thread and hopefully jump on the next one.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:04 am

The problem is, there's never going to be a "right time" to launch something like this. If someone is available now, someone else won't be; if we postpone it a few months, some people will be available but others won't; if we postpone it again, it'll never get launched at all - which I think was a real danger with a project like this. Once it loses momentum, it's unlikely to go anywhere.

Unfortunately, the whole ADRIFT scene has been in a very dead period for years now, not just in the summer time. I keep hoping things will pick up, but then I've been hoping that for the past five years and aside from fleeting bursts of activity, nothing much is going on, so I think it's important to go ahead with this idea now that it's fresh in people's minds.
David Whyld

Postby pinosante » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:18 am

Hi David, and others: I'm playing the game as we speak. So far a good choice. It's very interesting from a programmer's point of view, to ask myself: how did he do this?

So we just play and write up a review? Or can we talk about it while playing in a special thread?
pinosante

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:36 am

I made a thread here where you can talk about it to your heart's content. :D I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about it or to read anything you might have to say about it. And, please, don't just limit yourself to a review (though I would be happy to have one). We invite conversation, don't be shy!
Duncan_B

Postby pinosante » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:09 am

Ok Duncan, awesome :).
pinosante

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:48 pm

The month's almost up. Moderators: any thoughts on a next game?
Duncan_B

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:43 pm

I haven't heard anything about a new game of the month, but through the power of Richard Otter's Delron site and a random number generator, I have determined I'll be playing Black Sheep's Gold for July. Feel free to join me.
Duncan_B

Postby Tyson » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:46 am

I have no objections, and it seems no one else does. BSG it is.
Tyson

Postby rotter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:57 am

Duncan_B wrote:I haven't heard anything about a new game of the month, but through the power of Richard Otter's Delron site and a random number generator, I have determined I'll be playing Black Sheep's Gold for July. Feel free to join me.

Black Sheep's Gold? Good suggestion, not a game I've played before.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5, "Word of the Day" and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Return to Game Discussions