ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Irvine Quik & the Search for the Fish of Traglea

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Irvine Quik & the Search for the Fish of Traglea

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Here is an official thread where you can talk your heart out about the ADRIFT Book Club's choice for June 2013: my game, Irvine Quik & the Search for the Fish of Traglea! Questions, comments, observations, quips, etc., all accepted. Formal and informal inquiries encouraged. Also, if there is anything you would like for me to talk about regarding my game, let me know.

Enjoy!
Duncan_B

Re: Irvine Quik & the Search for the Fish of Traglea

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Also, this now has an entry on the ADRIFT main site. So you can find it there, too, if you'd like.
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:40 am

Stickied.

Re the version of the main site: as it doesn't play properly (according to the introduction) in V5, and the WebRunner auto-converts the game to V5 without warning that it's doing this, you might want to mention this in the blurb on the site. Or even stick the game in a zip file to make sure it can't be played via the WebRunner.
David Whyld

Postby Tyson » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Just started playing.

Immediately, I think: this is going to be an epic game. There seems to be lots of lore. The author has clearly thought about this world. There are also special commands, which suggests that the puzzles will be more interesting (and harder). It appears intimidatingly (is that a word?) deep.

I like the first two puzzles, but now I don't know what I should do next. I just finished landing a space craft. I'll probably figure it out as soon as I finish this post.

I have a hard time visualizing this world. Maybe it's just my imagination fails when it comes to sci-fi environments. I'm a hard sci-fi guy, when I am sci-fi at all.

Good so far.
Tyson

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:01 am

I'm glad you're enjoying the adventure! Before I start giving things away, I have to ask: have you used the in-game hints? If they aren't helpful to you, that would be very useful feedback.

Also, might I ask how you landed the ship?
Duncan_B

Postby pinosante » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:32 am

I agree with the first impression, it looks very elegant and well designed. I have only played for half an hour and like it so far. I was laughing out loud when I read the dialogue with the "meow's". I knew there were cat people but I didn't see that one coming.
pinosante

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:47 pm

IQatSftFoT's month in the ADRIFT sun is almost up! I've been glad to see people's first impressions of the game, especially that they have been positive. Has anybody finished it? If not, I hope you might also continue to play it next month, too. Feel free to ask for help if you've exhausted the game's hints or if the walkthrough isn't helpful, or any other questions you'd like for me to answer about the game.

Has anybody had a favorite part? A least favorite part? Remember also to share the link on Facebook and let people know what you're playing. I would also appreciate any reviews you might come up with.
Duncan_B

Postby Tyson » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:25 pm

I restarted the game. This time I paid more attention to the story. It makes more sense, but I still have a hard time imagining what things look like.

I like the fact that there are unique verbs. You don't see unique verbs used in ADRIFT often. My hats off to the author, for making his puzzles more interesting than most.

Unfortunately, my journey is halted by a bug. I'm at the key card reader in Chapter 4. The code doesn't work. I've checked the walkthru to be sure I didn't make a mistake. Alas, the numbers on the card just don't work.
Tyson

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:42 am

Thanks, I'll check that out. But don't let it halt you... you will miss nothing by starting the game at Chapter 5 (you would be at chapter 5 just by entering the door).
Duncan_B

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:55 am

Transcript please? It works when I do it, even if I don't have the card. Although thanks for the point to the walkthrough, which has a small error on it around that point (it omits going east from the infirmary to the lab after giving the flower).
Duncan_B

Postby Tyson » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:44 am

Unfortunately I didn't keep a transcript.

I got another bug when transitioning from ch. 5 to ch. 6. For some reason, it sent me back to the infirmary.

Anyways, I completed the game. Overall, it was fun, but I must admit: the glitches made things less fun. I felt like a little more polish would've made it better.

I liked the unique verbs, especially the Hirby commands. I wish it were implemented more in the game.

I initially liked the martial arts commands, but it became tiring after a while. Fighting gets old really quick.

The world was nice. Well thought out. I'd like more description though.
Tyson

Return to Game Discussions