ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Black Sheep's Gold

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Black Sheep's Gold

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:19 am

ADRIFT's game of the month for July as determined by random lotto is Black Sheep's Gold, by Driftingon. The game needs an IFDB page! Perhaps I will try to whip one up this weekend or something. I figured I'd just start dropping some of my play notes onto this thread, if it'll give people discussion fuel? Any thoughts re: proceedings, just post 'em.

One thing I'll start with: I seem to be encountering an error when I try to save where I get the response "You're doing rubbish anyway!" (which I'm pretty sure is default for when you cancel a save), and when I try to reload the file it is "not found." Anyone else experiencing this? I'm using ADRIFT 4, release 52.

Aside from this, seems pretty fun so far.
Duncan_B

Re: Black Sheep's Gold

Postby Lazzah » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:29 am

I just downloaded the game and tried to run it, but was asked for a password! How did you get the game to run, Duncan?

EDIT: Duh! I just worked it out - you open the Runner first, THEN load the .taf file! :)
Last edited by Lazzah on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Po. Prune » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:41 am

How about a link to the game in this thread? :wink:
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:32 am

It's here, complete with a review I wrote of it way back when:

http://www.textadventures.org/game/622

I thought the game sounded familiar when Duncan mentioned it in the other thread but it wasn't till I saw the old review that I remembered which one it was. Quite a promising game overall, but the change of tone -
[Reveal] Spoiler:
when it goes from light hearted kid-on-an-adventure game to kid-being-kidnapped-and-having-her-wrist-broken game
- was a bit offputting.
David Whyld

Postby Tyson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:46 pm

David Whyld wrote: Quite a promising game overall, but the change of tone -
[Reveal] Spoiler:
when it goes from light hearted kid-on-an-adventure game to kid-being-kidnapped-and-having-her-wrist-broken game
- was a bit offputting.

Spoiler alert...
Tyson

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Good point. I added the spoiler block.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Spoiler remains in Tyson's quote.
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:10 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Done.

BTW, am I the only one who really dislikes spoiler blocks?
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:47 pm

For the record, I don't tend to mind spoilers too terribly these days. If something bad is going to bother me or something good excite me, it'll tend to do that regardless of whether I know beforehand or not.

Anyway, I've hit some pretty bad GTV with the pickaxe, I guess. It seems the rocks aren't implemented, and I've tried a number of verbs for the pickaxe (the map seems to suggest "break"), but nothing's doing it. Could anybody drop me a hint here?
Duncan_B

Postby saabie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:44 am

There's no 'rocks' or 'cliff' or 'cliff wall', but there is a 'wall'. :?

Let us know how you go with GTV if you happen to meet any creatures in the cave. :shock:
saabie

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Okay, yeah. Hmm. I feel like I've tried just about everything on this snake, and there are no hints built in which is sort of frustrating. The game's implementation is disappointing... it seemed so solid in the opening parts of the adventure, but it really falls off sharply after that. I suppose maybe I have to find the salamander first, but I can't think of a spot I haven't looked, inside or out of the caves. Is there a way to make it up to Torncloth to sell the gold I have? Can anyone provide a hint about this rattlesnake?

Alternatively, does anyone know the password for this adventure in the Generator?
Duncan_B

Postby saabie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:57 am

Duncan_B wrote:I suppose maybe I have to find the salamander first
I didn't know salamanders attacked snakes, I thought mongeese did that.
Fortunately, when you find the salamander that Campbell is looking for he will probably help you out.
Salamanders have very short legs and like water, so it wont have gone very far from Campbell, and will be hiding inside an object that is likely to contain water.
Of course its no use just putting a mongoose down or trying to throw it at the snake, there is only one exact phrase that will work, and was it even wearing a leash?, I don't remember that being in the description.
Fortunately it tells you what you have to do when you examine it. Otherwise you would probably be stuck there forever.

Duncan_B wrote:Alternatively, does anyone know the password for this adventure in the Generator?
[Reveal] Spoiler: "If you really want to cheat"
If you open the debugger and look at the list of tasks you will notice that the task names are the actual command text.
There is also a walkthrough at http://www.delron.org.uk/walkthru/blacksheep.html

The bear is more of a "guess the exact phrase" problem. There are eight exact phrases that will work (but many slight variations that don't) :O
saabie

Return to Game Discussions