ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Review - A Day At The Office by David Whyld

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Review - A Day At The Office by David Whyld

Postby Hordriss » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:27 pm

I decided to download this one, as I had heard good things about David's works and that he is expert at incorporating humour into his games, which is always a plus with me. Another reason to go for it was that it had no reviews so far.

This is a single-room game, and looking at further info it appears to be a competition entry.

Anyway, the review:

FUNNY, BUT FRUSTRATING

This game is set against a time limit. You have so many moves to figure it out, and to be honest it's got me stumped.

I've done everything I can think of, and I'm unable to find the telephone socket, the pencil or the desk key, and I'm guessing some or all of these are vital to getting the good ending.

Also, a little bit of GTV, as it will accept armchair and comfy armchair, but not chair. And it will accept telephone but not phone. I also noticed one very minor typo.

That said, despite the frustrations I've had in figuring it all out, the author has done very well in getting a lot out of a single room and I very much enjoyed the writing. It's written in a very humourous manner and the style of humour is right up my alley.

3/5, as although I found the gameplay (and the very well hidden items) frustrating, the writing was very enjoyable.
Hordriss

Re: Review - A Day At The Office by David Whyld

Postby David Whyld » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks for the review. Been a while since I last heard anyone mention that game.
David Whyld

Postby Hordriss » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:18 am

I was drawn to it down to both your reputation and it's complete lack of reviews. Do you by chance have a solution for it? I can't load it up in developer as it's password protected.
Hordriss

Postby David Whyld » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:00 am

After all these years, I can't remember what the password is. I used to keep a list of them at one point but I've no idea where that list might be now.

For a walkthrough, there's one over at http://www.delron.org.uk/walkthru/office.html
David Whyld

Postby Hordriss » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:12 pm

Nice, thanks.

I never thought of 'kick cabinet', if I'm honest! I'll go through that over the next couple of days just so I can see the proper ending where I don't utterly fail!
Hordriss

Postby ralphmerridew » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Password is "kylie".
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby David Whyld » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Really? Ha, I'd totally forgotten I used to use Ms. Minogue as my password. Probably not a good idea as it'd be the first thing anyone who knows me would try.
David Whyld

Return to Game Discussions