ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

A bit of a silly question regarding conversations.

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

A bit of a silly question regarding conversations.

Postby SamuelC » Sat May 14, 2016 4:18 pm

So I've been messing about with the conversation system as a way to try and avoid doing conversations via separate tasks but I've run into a bit of a problem, mostly I believe due to my lack of understanding of quite how some of the expression work for conversation.

As an example I want the player to be able to say to a character "Lets go"

However the game keeps saying it doesn't understand the word lets despite the Player being in a conversation with the NPC.

I've tried

Lets,Go
Lets, Go
and lets Go

also {lets} Go.

what I kind of need to know I think if anyone could help is quite how the functions work as I've looked through the wiki and tutorials and it seems like it's a bit vague on the expression / coding bit so for example how woul I do a conversation option where multiple words need to be match?

Would it be
Word1, Word2
ot
Word1+Word2

I vaguely get that %text% allows additional text written there to be represented in the reply I think.

However does {example} exclude the word needing to be matched but allow it to be said.

Also another question about what I'm trying to do if I wanted multiple possible options so the player to be able to say "lets go" or "lets get going" or "Shall we be going"

Would that be

[lets/lets get/shall we be], [go/going]
or
[lets/lets get/shall we be] [go/going] (without the comma)

Thank you in advance for your help I feel I've been banging my head against this problem for a while it seems.
SamuelC

Re: A bit of a silly question regarding conversations.

Postby ElliotM » Sat May 14, 2016 9:20 pm

If you are stuck, you can use the full post editor to attach a sample file of what you tried to another post here in this thread, then we can take a look at it to see what is happening.

Anything in {} is optional. For a player to access conversation topics, they need to use the say command. For example: say let's go
ElliotM

Postby SamuelC » Sat May 14, 2016 10:53 pm

Here we go, this isn't the full adventure file but a sort of demo of the problem I'm having so you can hopefully spot what I mean coding wise.

I've got one version working where it says works off saying lets go but not one that accounts for variations on what the player could say. I've marked it to identify the conversation option I'm having trouble with.
Attachments
Conversation problems.taf
(15.37 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
SamuelC

Postby ElliotM » Sun May 15, 2016 12:57 am

For the working one, I tweaked it like this:
adrift Code: Select all
[{let{'}s }go/{I am/I{'}m }ready]
This way the ' are optional, in case a player doesn't type them in.

For the one that isn't working, I think all you needed was a space in between the brackets. Try this:
adrift Code: Select all
[lets/lets get/shall we be] [go/going]
I figured that out by trying 'say letsgo' without the space, which gave me your message.
ElliotM

Return to ADRIFT 5.0