ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Trying to understand how weight works

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Trying to understand how weight works

Postby olapidot » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:42 pm

In my first adventure, I want to give the player character a tedious chore of moving two boxes from room A to room B. In order to make it tedious, I want to prevent the Player from taking them both at the same time so I made them both Heavy and Large. However, I have no problem picking up the boxes two at the same time. I tried to limit the Maximum weight of held items and Maximum size of held items in the Player properties but still, I have no problem picking up both boxes at the same time.

I guess I could use tasks/variables to prevent the player to pick both boxes at the same time, but is there an out of the box solution using the Weight mechanism? How do I make the boxes too heavy to carry two at once?
olapidot

Re: Trying to understand how weight works

Postby Kennedy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:49 am

From the list of characters choose the player then set the maximum size of held items to 1 large and the maximum weight of held items to 1 heavy.
Kennedy

Postby saabie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:39 am

If it still does not work and your game was created before august 2013 then it may be because the old standard library from before this date is not compatible with runner versions 5.0.31.1 and later, and needs to be updated.
saabie

Postby olapidot » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:57 am

The version is 5.0.35.3 and the limitations in Player Properties are 1 Large and 1 Heavy but I'm able to carry 2 Large and Heavy boxes. Oh, well, I'll limit the player in another way.
olapidot

Return to ADRIFT 5.0