ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Tingalan

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Re: Tingalan

Postby The0didactus » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Lumin wrote:he blames me for the fact he stayed up half the night trying to beat a goddess at chess

what he has found is no goddess :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The0didactus

Postby EbonVasilis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Well it looks like I was mentioned here. I am THAT one. The most horrible person in existence by Lumin's claim. Of course, that sentiment was only garnered after me thoroughly beating her in this game, and only after a few hours. (Warning! From here bragging may occur. Though it most of it may not be intentional)

Today is third day I've had this game downloaded, and around midnight last night I managed to have my best run yet. Of course I mostly attribute this to luck, but a win is a win. The golden number for this magical play through is 47. A grand total of 47 silver pieces. If I'm not mistaken, then this is also the highscore. I was transcribing for a good long while, but I stopped transcribing after that run. Right there is evidence of my success, but I also took a super low quality picture of the screen from my phone. So I have proof of my success through two venues. Should TheOdidactus ask for them, I will present them. As of now, however, Lumin has already seen the picture.

Anyhow, I still need to do some of the other major things Tingalan has to offer, so I'll just leave this post at that. Winning is possible. Just keep at it.
Last edited by EbonVasilis on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EbonVasilis

Postby Lumin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Well, Ebon has now done the impossible

But it's fine.

*punches monitor*
*tears map into tiny pieces*
*deletes game*
*cries*

Everything is fine. :)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:48 pm

This is going to be great!! :D
Now Lumin has two Drifters to fight... David (the terrible) and Ebon (the not so terrible yet, but slowly getting up there.)

Site admin, leans back in his chair, pouring himself a nice big whisky and enjoys the show. :Thanks:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 Fourth beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby The0didactus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:48 pm

Really hard things to do in Tingalan/Achievements which are very hard to do

* Get the highest score

* Get the highest score without "savescumming" (that is, saving your game and replaying it) (This is a distinctly different accomplishment and generally what I mean by "the high score").

* Sing the Song all the way to the end

* Become a Warlock

* Cheat Derzelas

* Find the way to draw the game

* End the game with the highest number of "terrible secrets"

* Unlock the secret characters...all of them.

* Compete with other players: that is, start playing at the same time, no saves, and see which of the two of you ends with the highest score (be advised of course that right when you start you can "wait until dawn" and end the game with a score of 1, whereas someone that goes to the edge of space and time with a backpack full of treasure, but gets eaten on the way home, gets a score of 0)

* Translate the entire history of the mountain people
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:15 pm

The0didactus wrote:* Get the highest score without "savescumming" (that is, saving your game and replaying it) (This is a distinctly different accomplishment and generally what I mean by "the high score").

Whew okay Ebon is still a failure then. 8)

When I actually get time to map relentlessly like I've been planning I'm expecting to have to rely on savescumming, but I've been approaching this game more as a roguelike than IF so I've been trying to avoid that during normal play.
Lumin

Postby EbonVasilis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Dang it. Alright then. I'll just have to do it without save scumming then. Without save scumming I still have a score of 11, but I have neither a transcript nor picture of that, so eh.

I'll be back in a bit to crush Lumin's hopes and dreams once more.
EbonVasilis

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Is filesize the reason this isn't on the IFDB either? When the soundless version goes up you'll want to make sure to upload it, the game is missing out on a lot of potential exposure.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Lumin wrote:Is filesize the reason this isn't on the IFDB either? When the soundless version goes up you'll want to make sure to upload it, the game is missing out on a lot of potential exposure.

No, the reason it's not on IFDB is that I didn't know about it until I read your post.
A slimmed down version of the game may be released, but not soon.

I'd love to say the reason why is something like "because I'm a big important law student at a big important law school" but the unfortunate truth is that it's only 50% that and 50% the fact that this game has gotten so much recent positive response that I decided to begin work on another idea i've had for many years.
The0didactus

Postby rotter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:15 am

It is probably a good idea to announce your game over on the intfiction.org as well. Might pickup a few extra players, although they are a bit non-windowsy over there.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby The0didactus » Fri May 18, 2018 2:46 pm

Announcement: I will be dropping a large update/expansion to this game sometime in the next 2 weeks. Because branding is so very important, I have decided to call this the "Deeper Sky" expansion.

This will contain numerous bugfixes including
* that one where certain numbers of arrows cannot be fired at spirits
* that one where your JUJU is a picky eater and won't eat smoked meat
* that one where you search and find [unreadable string] in random forest locations
* that one where elfin artifacts are worth a negative amount of silver pieces
* that one where the haughty spirit doesn't go away even after you've trapped him in a bag
* that one where you can't treat malaria with sage

The following bugs will not be fixed, because they are not bugs:
* that one where the map doesn't fit together right
* that one where your encounters abruptly end because you were, in fact, dreaming the whole time
* that one where the queen of the night always wins at her mysterious game
* that one where you see strange shapes at the corners of your vision and summarily go insane.

the following bugs will be ADDED:
* Wasps
* A giant mantis

The following not-bug things will be added:
* Snowshoes, and 6 snowshoe-related encounters
* A canoe, and 6 canoe-related encounters
* A hiking trail that takes you to some weird places

Most importantly, this update will add 8 very large, multiphase encounters far more like a traditional "choose your own adventure" game. 4 of these are best described as "other world" encounters which will sweep you away to places far away from Tingalan. These encounters will provide unique (and very, very powerful) uses for "terrible secrets", things that game allows you to collect, but currently does not have a lot of uses for.
The0didactus

Previous

Return to Game Discussions