ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

V.5 Tips & Tricks Proto type

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

V.5 Tips & Tricks Proto type

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:30 pm

This is just a test to see how the V.5 Tips & Tricks will look,
When all is settled I'll go through the V.5 thread and add the various demos.
In the example below Rotter was on the look out for a fast way to sell all valuable items held and Denk came up with a nifty little demo.

The thread is not limited to requests and replies. If someone comes up with something you believe would be of help to other drifters send it to my email and I'll add it to the list.

I'm in doubt about whether this should be an open thread since I'm afraid that the demos will disappear in white noise. I would like it to be a list of demos that Drifters can scroll through without having to go through numerous comments and possible sidetracks.

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Selling all the valuable items held
Post by rotter » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:11 pm

After some ideas for a V5 game I'm working on. I would like to be able to sell all the valuable items the PC is carrying to a merchant. Objects are identified as valuable by a property, "Object is valuable". Each items has a different selling price, again held in a property, "Object value". The game contains loads of items that can be sold.

Apart from doing it long hand, can anyone suggest a straight forward method of being able to sell everything in one go. Maybe using a command "SELL EVERYTHING"?

Solution by Denk:
Attachments
sell all.taf
(15.55 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: V.5 Tips & Tricks Proto type

Postby Denk » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:17 pm

I think this thread is a good idea. Perhaps you should keep it open to begin with - if it becomes a problem you can always lock it. Also, if you always insert the tips and tricks in the first post, as you have done with the sell all example, they will always be on top.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Denk wrote:I think this thread is a good idea. Perhaps you should keep it open to begin with - if it becomes a problem you can always lock it. Also, if you always insert the tips and tricks in the first post, as you have done with the sell all example, they will always be on top.

I think that's a good idea.
The demo's / examples will be edited into the first post as they arrive. Drifters can then discuss them in the following posts.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:24 pm

Here is a little demo showing how the map in runner can be used as a multi choice method, since you can click on a map location and automatically move to it.

There is one little hitch however, when you do move the choice you pick it shows the direction you moved in red, unfortunately this is hard-coded in, but would be cool if it could be somehow manually turned off when needed. And you have to turn off show exits (in Dev) if you don't want exits to show when arriving at the choices starting location. If your game is purely multi-choice then turning it off won't be problem, else you could manually show exits in the desc of location via Player.Location.Exits
Also with the nature of how this works, Adrift moves the player one location at a time to destination location, so you cannot have 2 choices lined up in the same direction for obvious reasons. But using 1 direction per choice still gives you 8 possible choices if you wanted that many.

Download Demo:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/s4n3nl6cq93ezqe/MultiChoiceW_LocationsDemo_v2.taf
DazaKiwi

Library bug fix

Postby Denk » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:09 pm

There are some bugs in the standard library, some more important than others. It is possible for the user to modify the standard library but that can seem a bit complicated for beginners. Thus I have made this taf-file which you can use as a starting point for your games.

The taf-file fixes three bugs in v.5.0.35.3:

1. Container bug
2. No route north, only north
3. Get off objects before moving

Some comments:
Bug 1: This bug causes ADRIFT-errors when you apply the built-in size restrictions on containers.
Bug 2: This bug reveals hidden exits when they are not open, if you try to go in a direction which is not valid.
Bug 3: This bug, prevents movement when seated etc. on an object, e.g. a chair.

I can only recommend users to play around with the standard library, since ADRIFT becomes much more flexible once you know how to do that. Note that you are only changing the taf-file you are working on - you are not ruining the standard library for future projects.
Attachments
LibraryBugFix.taf
(14.64 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
Denk

Return to ADRIFT 5.0