ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Fabularium Android app

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Fabularium Android app

Postby rotter » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:25 am

I've not heard of this before but apparently there is an Android app called ''Fabularium' which can play 'most' formats including Glulx, Adrift and TADS 3 (do not think this is a April 1st joke). Haven't got an Android phone so can't test it myself. It claims to run ADRIFT games so I'm guessing that it plays V4.

Fabularium1.jpg
Fabularium
Fabularium1.jpg (41.08 KiB) Viewed 711 times
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Re: Fabularium Android app

Postby rotter » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:56 am

As an update someone has played Without A Clue by David Whyld on using Fabularium. For the youngsters out there, it is a V4 game written back in 2008.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
rotter

Postby David Whyld » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:23 am

I just downloaded this to see what it's like. It's a bit fiddly having to unzip files and add them to the library, and I've never been fond of playing games on my mobile anyway, but it's always nice to have it as an option. It's also pretty cool that it can run ADRIFT games for both v4 and v5. I've not had chance to properly test everything yet, so there could be problems that crop up, but at the very least it's a good start.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby rotter » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:04 am

David Whyld wrote:I just downloaded this to see what it's like. It's a bit fiddly having to unzip files and add them to the library, and I've never been fond of playing games on my mobile anyway, but it's always nice to have it as an option. It's also pretty cool that it can run ADRIFT games for both v4 and v5. I've not had chance to properly test everything yet, so there could be problems that crop up, but at the very least it's a good start.

It plays V5 games? Wow! Have to admit I'm not a great lover of IF on a mobile, but it seems others like it.
rotter

Postby David Whyld » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:42 am

My bad. I thought it said somewhere that it supported v5 games but I just tried it with three different games and it didn't work with any of them. Hopefully v5 support will be added one day.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:32 am

It's probably a reskinned SCARE.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby rotter » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:50 pm

ralphmerridew wrote:It's probably a reskinned SCARE.

It does mention Scare on the app page.
rotter

Postby ralphmerridew » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Unfortunately, ADRIFT is written in a manner that puts lots of logic into the interpreter, and there's very little specification as to what each primitive means exactly. As such, trying to duplicate all that logic is tedious and error-prone. A good interpreter will probably require assistance from Campbell.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:03 am

Thanks for sharing that find Rotter. Pity it cannot run V5 Adrift games though.
DazaKiwi

Postby Campbell » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:40 am

Tim Cowper, the author of Fabularium, got in touch recently, asking for support to get this working for ADRIFT 5. Now the source is available, this may become a reality.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:41 am

Campbell wrote:Tim Cowper, the author of Fabularium, got in touch recently, asking for support to get this working for ADRIFT 5. Now the source is available, this may become a reality.

That's great news! :)
DazaKiwi

Return to General IF