ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

restrictions not working?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

restrictions not working?

Postby Tcbricklayer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:51 pm

New to Adrift 5. I have used Adrift 4 but not in a while. I kind of just stumbled on 5 and was excited about the potential but, frankly, I'm getting discouraged.
I'm trying to write a haunted house/escape sort of adventure for my grand kids that love to read. I've spent hours and can't finish the first room. I am struggling with tasks. I have a mirror that starts off hidden. I have a "look in mirror" general task in case I put mirrors in other rooms and I have a specific "look in mirror" task that overrides the general task for that specific mirror. One problem if I "look in mirror" before it's revealed (it starts off hidden) I get the response I wrote "You see yourself". I've put different combinations of restrictions to prevent this to no avail. The other problem is my task doesn't prevent the library task "examine object" from running so I get my message plus the default message "You don't see anything". Or if I let the character actually find the mirror before looking into it my task runs correctly, but I get the library examine message after my task message.
Anybody still out there that could help or is Adrift 5 an abandoned project?
Tcbricklayer

Re: restrictions not working?

Postby Denk » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:00 pm

It would help to see your taf-file, since a lot of things could be wrong. Perhaps you could attach it to your post? Or if you prefer not to do that, perhaps you could reconstruct the problem in a new taf-file and attach that one?

Anyway, I attach a taf-file showing how I would implement the mirror:
MirrorExample.taf
Example on how to implement "look in mirror"
(15.1 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

- assumption: You want different responses for "x mirror" and "look in mirror" (otherwise you don't need to create a "look in mirror"-task, since "look in object"="x object" in the standard library)

In this example, the mirror is hidden until you push the button.

Hope this helps. Otherwise ask again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby Tcbricklayer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Thank you for your quick response and your simple solution. I have one more question. I'm not sure how to upload .taf files to the board. I used to be the computer nerd in my household. Now I'm not. :?
Tcbricklayer

Postby Denk » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:35 pm

If you in the forum click on "quick reply" you have the option of clicking "full editor". Click "full editor". Then, at the bottom is a pane called "Upload attachment", see picture below.
How2attach.jpg
How2attach.jpg (76.25 KiB) Viewed 502 times
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Return to ADRIFT 5.0