ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Into 2019

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Into 2019

Postby Lazzah » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi all,

Well, here we are, three weeks into 2019 and there have hardly been any posts on the forum. So I thought I would just post this message to tell people what I am currently doing.

On New Year's Eve I finished re-programming the last of my Spectrum games, "Revenge of the Space Pirates", which was the third in the "Mike Erlin" sci-fi series. The other two games in the series, "Magnetic Moon" and "Starship Quest" are being playtested at the moment and I hope to release all three during the course of the year.

I did start work on a brand new game, "The Call of the Shaman", the 6th game in the fantasy "Alaric Blackmoon" series, and work is progressing slowly on that.

About a week ago, I decided to start something that has been on my mind for a long time. The first ever text adventure I ever played was "Sphinx Adventure", back in 1986 on the Acorn Electron. I have long wanted to do an ADRIFT version of this game and I have started to do so. It has been a very time-consuming exercise, as the only way I can copy the location and message texts, etc, is to actually play the game. Doing that has taken me back 33 years, playing the game online on a BBC emulator. The original game was only verb-noun input - there are no multi-word commands (such as PUT BOX ON TABLE) whatsoever - and there was NO save-game facility. You cannot even EXAMINE anything, WEAR anything or TALK to anyone. There are some creatures and a couple of characters in the game, but the interaction between them and the player is minimal to say the least.

If you got killed, which happened frequently, you had to start the game from the beginning every time. There was a facility on the Electron to create a macro, but this only allowed a limited number of moves. There was also a dwarf who would randomly appear and throw an axe at you. You could pick the axe up and throw it back but this was also a random thing and sometimes you would get killed. If this was near the end of the game you had to type the whole list of commands in again!

For the ADRIFT version there will be a SAVE/RESTORE facility and I have omitted that dratted dwarf! However, there will be no game map as the exits from the locations go all over the place and if I allowed the map it would be one mass of connection lines and be totally unusable.

There were also about 5 mazes in the game, once of which had 20 locations. I spent hours in these mazes, as I didn't know about the trick of dropping an object in each location to make each one different and thus being able to "map" them. Therefore you will be pleased to hear that I have left these mazes out of the game.

My most vivid memory from that time was when I was sitting in our kitchen playing "Sphinx Adventure", wandering aimlessly around the Iron Passages maze and getting nowhere fast. I had learnt from somewhere that I needed to find the vampire's castle, but I simply couldn't find it beyond all the interconnected maze. My wife and the kids were in the living room watching TV next door and she had banished me to the kitchen as the sound of me tapping the computer keys and muttering to myself was getting on her nerves.

I remember I had been typing in directions for what seemed like hours when I typed in a direction (which must have been Up) and suddenly I found myself in a new location "The foot of castle hill". I leapt to my feet and started jumping around the kitchen yelling "I've found it!" in joy. I was absolutely elated. My wife came in, followed by the kids, to find out what all the noise was about and asked me "What have you found?", to which I replied "The vampire's castle of course!" She looked at me as if I was totally mad and quickly ushered the kids back into the living room and shut the door.

Hopefully "Sphinx Adventure" will be released later this year.
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch
ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run!

COMING SOON: Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest & Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: Into 2019

Postby The0didactus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:29 pm

I've been hard at work on a CYOA that uses Adrift, with an eye toward finishing it in time for IFCOMP next year.
The0didactus

Postby Hensman Int'l » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:36 pm

Wish I could say "I'm back with a vengeance" but more like 5 minutes to see what's up. :P Oh, the joys of work and more work. :?
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby Lumin » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:36 pm

Hensman Int'l wrote:Wish I could say "I'm back with a vengeance" but more like 5 minutes to see what's up. :P Oh, the joys of work and more work. :?

Hey no worries, I do the same thing every few months. What's up!
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Lazzah, do the first games need to be played to follow the other two?

But yes it seems we're going through a uniquely dead period right now, even for this forum.
Lumin

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:11 am

I have several small projects on the go, the latest being a climbing *cough* simulator which is more like a tech demo lol. Another one is a Space Trucker game and finally a sci-fi racing manager game which has board game like mechanics. In many ways creating a game and challenging yourself can be like a puzzle in itself. With these projects i am trying to scale down ideas and keep things manageable.
DazaKiwi

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:20 am

My main project for this year is to enter the Annual IF Comp. So I'm concentrating on one game "Just another fairy tale" (Working title)
It's not going to be the usual mammoth games I tend to get myself mixed up in (yeah, right!) but I hope that concentrating on this game only I will have time to make a game that will score at the upper end at the competition.
I'm not sure how much you're allowed to reveal about the game when you intend to enter it into the comp, so I won't say more about it for the time being.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 60Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:07 pm

I'm potentially going to enter my CYS game in the IFComp, but no concrete plans there since I'm not wanting to set a deadline on this one. I've just made it THE project I will focus on this year and when it's done it's done. I've figured out the trick of finishing smaller projects pretty regularly but I feel like I'm overdo for an epic.

That said I'm feeling pretty excited about ADRIFT games again, more than I have in awhile. Hopefully this feeling will pass because I really need to focus on my real project lol. But IF has been a topic of discussion in the Discord a lot lately thanks to Theo and so I haven't been able to resist dusting off the generator. There miiiight be two small projects from be this year, although again I hate to commit to these things. One is a conversion and expansion of a story I started for a prompt thread with the theme of 'fantasy mafia', and the other is about a Stone Age tribe and will probably contain wilderness survival and resource management elements.
Lumin

Postby rotter » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:22 am

Hi Folks!

Due to real life getting in the way I haven't done a lot of IF over the last year. But 2019 should be easier, I hope. Now I have this idea to release "The Blank Wall" which has been knocking around for years. It is about ready to go but with the state of V5 at the moment it puts me off somewhat.

I have a couple of I7 games in the pipeline (but I won't speak about them here :) ). I'm considering a game for next years IFComp, no time for this years. Working title of "Obsession" the first 5 locations work if nothing else. I have at least opened the developer for the first time in 18 months. :?
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:58 am

Hi Rotter.
Good to see you back here. Yes, real life do have a nasty way of interfering when it's not convinient 8)
I have a Spitfire MkII 1:7 scale on the back burner in the garage. It's been there for at least a year and it torments me whenever I look at but I simply haven't had the time.

What is the problem with V.5 exactly? I am going to pester Campbell to release an udate and it would be a big help to have something exact to tell him.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 60Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:03 am

Oh hey Rotter, good to see you're still kicking.

I'd dropped by your site a few days ago to see if the big ADRIFT list was still being updated, seems to be the case as of the IF Comp anyway so good on you for that.

And P/o, the same old online play issue as always would be my first guess as to what he meant there. Although at least we have Fabularium now, that's going to make an impact at this year's IF Comp I'd bet, if we just make it clear enough to people that it exists.

Anyhow, been sick the few days, still am, so will be posting/responding to messages a bit slowly but not planning to vanish again just yet.
Lumin

Postby rotter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:53 am

P/o Prune wrote:What is the problem with V.5 exactly? I am going to pester Campbell to release an update and it would be a big help to have something exact to tell him.

I didn't say problem I said "state". rofl I really like V5, it can be a bit clickly (seem to have to click a lot sometimes) but it builds a more solid game than V4 - or at least you do not have to look out for all the V4 strangeness. I got a game into the top 10 of an IFComp so I know how much work you have to put into V4 for the wider world consumption. For me, though, it is the lack of V5 runners on different platforms (the wider world loves it's Mac's and Linux), reliability of the online runner (or lack of it) and the feeling that it has been abandoned by Campbell.

P/o Lumin wrote:I'd dropped by your site a few days ago to see if the big ADRIFT list was still being updated, seems to be the case as of the IF Comp anyway so good on you for that.

I'm still about and yes, I have tried to keep Delron up-to-date, I think I got all the reviews for the ADRIFT games in the IFComp.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Return to General IF