ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Six Silver Bullets

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Re: Six Silver Bullets

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:19 am

I only just started playing this too. I like the concept of the game and the dynamic aspects. However I cannot for the life of me work out how to use the safe (is it suppose to be a puzzle??) i've tried use keypad, use safe, touch keypad, tried just entering in the password after looking at the safe (which i got a hint from Agent you know who).

Also i noticed some of the commands like with the encounter options seems to work the first time if you type it out fully displayed and for follow up choices it will only accept keyword of that choice.

But i'm enjoying it so far and I like the writing style. I'm not far into the game as yet, but i've been killed by a sniper so far. Me thinks i know where from.
DazaKiwi

Postby Lumin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm

For the safe, you have to spell out each number like in the example when you examine it, but each digit is separate so you'll need to do >press number multiple times.

*How* to enter it was never the problem to me, I just took a hilariously long time figuring out what in hindsight should've been a pretty obvious combination, until the game literally dropped it into my lap.

There is some inconsistency with talking to people I've noticed, I use >ask about blah by habit but at other times only the key word works.

Oh, and get used to getting killed lol. I was too busy yesterday to pick up where I left off but I'm at the point now where I'm doing suicide runs solely for information gathering and have a giant file full of not very comprehensible notes and reminders. You'll likely also have to make a map at some point. The layout is simple enough I wouldn't need one normally, but on a time limit it makes a difference.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:11 pm

Lumin wrote:For the safe, you have to spell out each number like in the example when you examine it, but each digit is separate so you'll need to do >press number multiple times.[/url]

so PRESS ONE, PRESS TWO, PRESS NINE, etc.

*How* to enter it was never the problem to me, I just took a hilariously long time figuring out what in hindsight should've been a pretty obvious combination, until the game literally dropped it into my lap.

I built the game to be nonlinear, so different players solve puzzles and unlock secrets in different orders, and this, as several people are beginning to see, dramatically affects what the game feels like.

There is some inconsistency with talking to people I've noticed, I use >ask about blah by habit but at other times only the key word works.

This is probably the biggest flaw in the game so far. I had a systematic way to code in the dialog that completely fell apart early in the process. I'm in the process of improving it but it's hard...

Oh, and get used to getting killed lol. I was too busy yesterday to pick up where I left off but I'm at the point now where I'm doing suicide runs solely for information gathering and have a giant file full of not very comprehensible notes and reminders. You'll likely also have to make a map at some point. The layout is simple enough I wouldn't need one normally, but on a time limit it makes a difference.
[/quote]

Yeah, you're gonna die a lot.
The0didactus

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 pm

It's good to hear you are improving/polishing the game The0didactus. It's great game! The dynamic aspects makes it very replayable.

One encounter i had with a security guard, i only had the option to Bribe or Kill none of the usual options like sneak etc. And killing would of course use up a silver bullet. I had nothing to bribe with so was forced into killing. But this guard and lack of encounter options might of been a one time thing? and perhaps the point of this game is to replay the game enough times to know most important variables and how to navigate them as some things are static. I haven't got far into the game yet, but will keep playing. Maybe you could add a Death tally when you type restart after being killed and have this tally on the Status bar as like a score. A player could say i died 40 times to beat the game etc.

@Lumin as for map keeping i've started to use "Snipping tool" (just search for it in Win search on toolbar) to take a screen shot of the map every few new locations you discover to save time drawing one.
DazaKiwi

Postby The0didactus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:39 am

Wow...A LOT of people are playing this game right now...by my count 5 or 6 in the past few days. This is very exciting.

However, it might require I change up some of the metagame rules a bit. When I released this at IFCOMP, I said that the first five players who "beat" the game (With a satisfying ending, not the one where you just get a score) will get their names logged on my site. Four people beat it during the comp or just afterward. This means that all 5-6 people playing now are effectively playing for that last spot.

...so I'm going to say the first TEN people get their names logged, just cuz.

You're welcome
- theo
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:28 am

I'm still getting #5....
Lumin

Postby DazaKiwi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:53 pm

Okay some more feedback for the game @TheOdidactus. Unless i am mistaken there is no command to re-list current encounter choices is there? because i saved a game in the middle of an encounter and when loaded it the next day and i cant do anything because it says i'm in the middle of an encounter, i must resolve it first. I don't recall what the encounter was or choices. Perhaps the player could just type encounter and the encounter intro and choices will display again. Maybe like have a text string that will store the choices every time a new encounter occurs or something.
DazaKiwi

Postby The0didactus » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:23 pm

This is a great idea, DazaKiwi, but I think it would be pretty hard to implement. There are more than 50 encounters, and (slight spoilers), the choices you are presented with in each encounter vary from playthrough to playthrough.
The0didactus

Previous

Return to Game Discussions