ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Outputting name as He instead of Character name issue

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Outputting name as He instead of Character name issue

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:20 am

What is the most common reason a character gets outputted (Character is referenced from a Character Property in Player Character) as 'He' when its suppose to be their name? i think if the Player knows the character it will use he, so i even tried unset that to unselected, but didn't do anything.

Initially in my combat system this isn't a problem, its not until a new enemy is randomly picked that the issue appears. Debugger shows the character was selected and stored in Players property for Current Target as intended but just outputs 'He' whenever %Player%.propertykey.Name is used. Why?

*Update* Weird thing is, after a turn passes the issue isn't a problem. I might have to do a work around, where the player has to input something to continue.
DazaKiwi

Re: Outputting name as He instead of Character name issue

Postby saabie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:34 pm

The Name function used in %Player%.propertykey.Name is supposed to print the character's name the first time it is used (in a given turn) and then output He/She/It when it is used repeatedly.
If you used %Player%.propertykey.Name(None) then this substitution will not occur and it will always output their name (if Known) or their description.
There are lots of other options for the Name function, see: http://wiki.adrift.co/%25character%25.Name_function.
saabie

Re: Outputting name as He instead of Character name issue

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:11 am

Thanks saabie this fixed my issue, i didn't even think about using (none) i use it more for listing objects that i just want its name and no pre-fixes. So ive learned something new.

Cheers.
DazaKiwi

Return to ADRIFT 5.0