ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Make games with no typing required

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: Make games with no typing required

Postby DazaKiwi » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:10 am

Thanks for your replies to my questions. Its good to share what we learn and hopefully find answers to get this hyperlink system properly understood and working across the board. I might look at making a custom library or comprehensive module in the future.

Hyperlink Conversations:

I have been experimenting with getting hyperlink working with the built in conversations all morning and I am happy to say after trail and error I finally got it nailed.
It works for all three; Say, Tell (with a work around) and Ask. See the read me for more info, especially concerning the Say Specific custom task where a certain restriction shouldnt be there but needs to be.

Since all three types of conversation will always get listed in the click/drop down when i've listed the conversation topics (objects/topics moved to location when engaging in conversation with character) according to which one they are for to help the player know which topic is for what kind of conversation type. I think this works well.
Attachments
Conversation_Hyperlink_Tests_v8_NewConversationSys.taf
Hyperlink Conversation System (updated)
(18.64 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Last edited by DazaKiwi on Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DazaKiwi

Postby Denk » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:39 am

Nice demo DazaKiwi. There was one thing I don't understand:

Why you need these two specific tasks?
1. Ask Word to Character
2. Say Word to Character

I tried to delete these two tasks and found that the demo functioned well without them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby DazaKiwi » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:56 am

You are right, i just deleted them too. I added them as part of my trial and error when i couldn't get the menu parent tasks working because of the character factor and then kept at it and did the work around for Tell and finally got everything to work after most of the morning spent on it and I didn't consider that i could delete those too specific tasks by the time i got everything to work. Thanks for pointing that out. (I have updated the demo with them removed)

With this system as more topic keywords become known during a conversation some of those conversation tasks could reveal more conversation/objects. But this would involve more groups to be created as well as objects, so more work involved. But its doable.
DazaKiwi

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun May 05, 2019 9:22 am

Just to avoid any misunderstandings on how I look at this, I will clarify:
1. I distinguish between ordinary tasks (which can be either general, specific or system tasks) and then what I call MENU-tasks (always general task) which never runs but will ensure that you get the right options in the dropdown-menus.
2. First I would create a good parser. I do this by using specific tasks whenever possible. New commands are introduced with general tasks to take care of standard response, but specific tasks should take care of all specific actions, e.g. puzzle solving etc.
3. Once I have made all ordinary tasks so I have a good parser, I add the MENU-tasks which does not affect gameplay since they never run. They are only there to provide the right options in the dropdown-menu. They may have restrictions. However, it seems that "%character% MENU-tasks" cannot have as many restrictions as "%objects% MENU-tasks" for some reason.

I just wanted to add something to the above to make it more clear regarding restrictions and reducing clutter in the drop down menu. With the General task if you use %object% you cannot use restrictions in the general task, and that option will display for all objects you click on. But you can use restrictions when you use %objects% instead in general task eg. Start %objects%, you might have a restriction %Objects% must have property 'Object is a Boat' and this means the option to 'Start..' will only appear in the drop down menu IF the object has a property 'Object is a Boat' and wont show up as an option for all objects that are clicked on.

*update Info*

I've noticed with hyperlinks that say you have a ship object and the menu task is to [Target] %objects%. I have noticed when you try to alter any properties of that object in that (Menu Parent task) it doesn't work, and you need to run another task with the # %objects% method or param method in order to do so. This might be perhaps specific only to %objects% rather than %object% because objects is many- so it would be ambiguous? Anyway this means creating an extra task to change properties of an object when working with hyperlinks. Its just weird how you are still using %objects% in the param task- and it works. Hope that makes sense.
Last edited by DazaKiwi on Thu May 09, 2019 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
DazaKiwi

Postby Denk » Sun May 05, 2019 9:51 am

Exactly :)

But now I have a strange problem. I cannot select/deselect the options:
"Enable right-click menu in games"
"Display links on clickable items"
Greyed out.png
Greyed out.png (22.34 KiB) Viewed 314 times

I think it happened after I clicked "reset to defaults"

Does anyone know how to make these two options "clickable" again?
:anyone:
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby Denk » Sun May 05, 2019 10:00 am

Denk wrote:Exactly :)

But now I have a strange problem. I cannot select/deselect the options:
"Enable right-click menu in games"
"Display links on clickable items"

Oops! I forgot to choose "Enable context sensitive menu in games" in the developer. Now I can select them again.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0