ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Free Cloud Drive

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Free Cloud Drive

Postby Lazzah » Thu May 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi all.

I am looking for a good cloud storage site where I can upload my game files (as zipped executable files) so they can be downloaded from the ADRIFT games website. I have tried Dropbox and Google Drive but I cannot work out how to obtain a link to publish on the website to allow people to download my games. It used to be easy on Dropbox but I just tried again and I cannot work out for the life of me how to do it any more.

The site must have easy-to-follow instructions for obtaining a link for download.

Any recommendations much appreciated.
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest

COMING SOON: Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: Free Cloud Drive

Postby Lumin » Thu May 02, 2019 6:43 pm

....you can figure out the ADRIFT site but not Google Drive?
Lumin

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu May 02, 2019 9:34 pm

You are might be having problems because they have move around buttons as that tends to happen over time.

How to share a link in Dropbox on the Dropbox website;

1. Hover mouse pointer over file in your dropbox files list
2. You will see a SHARE box appear to the far right of that file: Click on it
3. Pop up window will appear- bottom right of this popup window is Create Link hyperlink
4. Once it creates a link - where create link was it will now say Copy Link (Click on that)
5. Next to Copy link is Link Settings- there you can set to who can view it and how long the link will be active

Hope that helps.
DazaKiwi

Postby Lazzah » Thu May 02, 2019 9:46 pm

DazaKiwi wrote:You are might be having problems because they have move around buttons as that tends to happen over time.

How to share a link in Dropbox on the Dropbox website;

1. Hover mouse pointer over file in your dropbox files list
2. You will see a SHARE box appear to the far right of that file: Click on it
3. Pop up window will appear- bottom right of this popup window is Create Link hyperlink
4. Once it creates a link - where create link was it will now say Copy Link (Click on that)
5. Next to Copy link is Link Settings- there you can set to who can view it and how long the link will be active

Hope that helps.

Hi Daza, thanks for the reply.

I did the above but when #5 happened I was stumped. I want ANYONE to be able to download the file so what do I put there? Should I direct it to the ADRIFT site? It didn't used to be like this, you could click on the file and get a web address for the download which I then put in the adventure details on the ADRIFT games website.

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest

Lazzah

Postby Lumin » Thu May 02, 2019 9:50 pm

With Google Drive you just right click the file and pick Get shareable link.
Lumin

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu May 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Just looking at that now Lazzah, when a link is created it says to the left Anyone with the link can view this file.
Last edited by DazaKiwi on Fri May 03, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DazaKiwi

Postby Lazzah » Fri May 03, 2019 11:55 am

Lumin wrote:With Google Drive you just right click the file and pick Get shareable link.

That's what I was doing but the link was disappearing as fast as it appeared.

I tried again today and was able to click on the link as soon as it appeared and have been able to copy and paste the links OK.

Thanks for your help.

Lazzah

Return to General IF