ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Windows all over the place

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Windows all over the place

Postby David Whyld » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:41 pm

This might be me doing something wrong, but quite often when I double click a folder in the folders list, it opens up an existing folder not in a clear space on the screen but over the top of another folder. Other times it causes the existing folders to scroll upwards and put the new one down below. It’s really annoying and I can’t find an option to stop it doing this. Sometimes when I've had 7 or 8 folders open at a time, they're covering 4 screens or more, which makes it impossible to see what's in most of them.

Ideally I’d like it if v5 would display folders side by side, so I can read what's in each of them without being forced to drag them around the screen all the time.
Attachments
01a.jpg
01a.jpg (23.8 KiB) Viewed 697 times
02a.jpg
02a.jpg (24.6 KiB) Viewed 697 times
03a.jpg
03a.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 697 times
David Whyld

Re: Windows all over the place

Postby Denk » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:48 pm

I doubt there is any way to control where the window opens, but once it is open, all you have to do is click on "Tile Vertically" and they will be placed side by side.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby David Whyld » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:08 pm

I know about the "tile vertically" option but I was hoping there was some setting I could change to automatically line up the folders. I'm sure Campbell had his reasons for setting things up like this but I can't for the life of me figure out how putting folders on top of other folders, thus hiding what's in the folder beneath, is a good idea, especially when there's plenty of empty space on the screen where the folder could be placed. Ah well, it's not a big deal. I'm sure I can work around it.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:19 pm

My guess is that Campbell simply used the default behavior and prioritized other elements over positioning windows.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby DazaKiwi » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:26 am

Try using 'Tile' that is what i use now all the time, it places them all side by side with the window sizing based on how many folders are open and screen space. And just close folders you wont be needing for the current session to declutter.
DazaKiwi

Postby Lazzah » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:00 pm

I am surprised that everyone has their windows so wide, if you re-size them narrower you can get much more in the ADRIFT window, as per the image of one of my game files attached. I leave part of the screen clear so I can open a transcript text file if I am amending a game that has been playtested, etc.

WIP.jpg
WIP.jpg (669.65 KiB) Viewed 623 times
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:20 pm

I've been trying to keep the screen as clear as possible because otherwise I'm getting folders on top of other folders and it's confusing keeping track of everything. As I said, though, it's not that big a deal. I've found the keyboard shortcut that puts everything into order without more clicking (boy, v5 loves mouse clicks, doesn't it?) so I guess I'll just have to get used to doing that.
David Whyld

Postby rotter » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:50 pm

David Whyld wrote:boy, v5 loves mouse clicks, doesn't it?

I have to admit, although I love lots of the V5 features, it is certainly a lot more clickly than V4.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby The0didactus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm

rotter wrote:
David Whyld wrote:boy, v5 loves mouse clicks, doesn't it?

I have to admit, although I love lots of the V5 features, it is certainly a lot more clickly than V4.

It took me eons to learn that you can copy and paste restrictions and actions. that's 50,000,000 clicks I'll never get back.
The0didactus

Postby Campbell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:11 am

It just opens the windows at the last place you had them. If you've never opened them before it uses Windows defaults, which I think uses the cascade positioning from the last window opened.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:26 am

Is there any chance it could just put them in a blank space instead of covering up another window? I seem to spend a lot of time dragging stuff around so I can see everything that's on screen.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:27 am

I guess anything is possible. Stick an item up on the Bugs/Enhancements page and I'll try to fit that in.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0