ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Newby struggling

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Newby struggling

Postby Janeiac » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:26 pm

Hello. I've been working on my story for about a month now, but I'm getting into heavy testing now (rather than just getting everything written out and placed in the world).
I've come up with a weird problem where a dynamic object in an area can't be picked up and wondered if anyone could help.

Basically I have a ball of string, location is set as In location > South-East Woods
When I go there and type 'get string' or 'get ball of string' (these are being autofilled so I figure they should be correct) I get a message saying 'The ball of string is not on or inside another object!'

Now I have objects lying around every other part of these woods that I can pick up just fine, but this just refuses, unless I build something else and put it on or inside it.

I've looked at the debugger, but I don't really understand what it's saying the issue is.

Debugger log:
Task 'Take Objects (Parent Task)' matches input.
Checking scope: Applicable
Referenced Objects must exist: Passed
Referenced Objects must have been seen by the Player character: Passed
Referenced Objects must be visible to the Player character: Passed
Property 'Object type' for Referenced Objects must be 'Dynamic': Passed
Referenced Objects must be exact text 'All': Failed
Referenced Objects must not be exact text 'All': Passed
Referenced Objects must not be held by the Player character: Passed
Referenced Objects must not be worn by the Player character: Passed
Command matches without ambiguity.
Task passes restrictions.
Task priority: 50013
Attempting to execute task Take Objects (Parent Task)...
Checking single reference task [get/take/pick up] a ball of string
Passed Restrictions
Checking whether any of our child tasks should override...
Overriding child task found: Take Objects From Object (Lazy)
Override Parent
Attempting to execute task Take Objects From Object (Lazy)...
Checking single reference task [get/take/pick up] a ball of string
Referenced Objects must be inside Any Object: Failed
Referenced Objects must be on Any Object: Failed
Failed Restrictions
%PCase[%TheObject[%objects%]%]% is not on or inside another object!
First Reference: a ball of string(no output)
Child task fails
Do not continue executing other child tasks.
Task passes and has output. Will not execute lower priority tasks

If anyone could advise on this, I'd super appreciate the help.
Janeiac

Re: Newby struggling

Postby Lazzah » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:25 am

Hi Janelac,

Welcome to the world of ADRIFT!

I would hope that saabie would step in with an explanation of what has gone wrong, but a quick fix might be to just delete the object from your game file and create another one exactly the same. You should right-click on the ba!l of string object and then on delete. If the ball is referenced in any tasks, etc, a pop-up will tell you which ones. You should delete any restrictions or actions in these tasks that reference the ball before you actually delete the object. Before creating the new ball, save your game file. You might also want to save a backup just in case the problem recurs. Once you have created the new ball object and tested that it can be picked up, you can replace any restrictions and actions referencing the ball in the tasks you deleted them from.

I hope the above solves your problem.
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest

COMING SOON: Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Janeiac » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi Lazzah, thank you for responding. I tried deleting and replacing. Also tried replacing the room, but still no dice.
Janeiac

Postby Lazzah » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:15 pm

Janeiac wrote:Hi Lazzah, thank you for responding. I tried deleting and replacing. Also tried replacing the room, but still no dice.

Mmmmm, very odd. What location do you have the ball of string starting in? Can you take a screenshot of the ball of string's Properties tab and post it here so we can see if anything there can shed any light on the problem.

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest

Lazzah

Postby saabie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 am

This looks like a task priority problem. The priority of each task is at the top of its "Advanced" page.
You can also view task priorities by clicking the funnel icon at the top of the "Give, Take and Drop" folder in the standard library and ticking the "Priority" checkbox.

The task "Take Objects from Object (Lazy)" should have a larger priority number than the "Take Objects from Location" task. (Mine are 50016 and 50012).
If not, then change the priority of "Take Objects from Object (Lazy)" so that it is +1 more than "Take Objects from Location".

However, this should affect every object on the ground :?
If this is not the problem, please post the debugger output for picking up an object from the ground where it does work.
saabie

Postby Janeiac » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:26 pm

Lazzah wrote:Mmmmm, very odd. What location do you have the ball of string starting in? Can you take a screenshot of the ball of string's Properties tab and post it here so we can see if anything there can shed any light on the problem.

Thanks for offering to have a look. The ball starts off on the floor in one of 9 basically identical locations (I've noticed the locations don't seem to have properties so not sure what information would be relevant here.

https://imgur.com/a/46uY9na

saabie wrote:This looks like a task priority problem. The priority of each task is at the top of its "Advanced" page.
You can also view task priorities by clicking the funnel icon at the top of the "Give, Take and Drop" folder in the standard library and ticking the "Priority" checkbox.

The task "Take Objects from Object (Lazy)" should have a larger priority number than the "Take Objects from Location" task. (Mine are 50016 and 50012).
If not, then change the priority of "Take Objects from Object (Lazy)" so that it is +1 more than "Take Objects from Location".

However, this should affect every object on the ground :?
If this is not the problem, please post the debugger output for picking up an object from the ground where it does work.

Hi saabie, I checked the priorities for ...from object (lazy) and from location and they're the same as yours.

Here's the output on an item I can pick up:
Task 'get acorns SW Wood' matches input.
Command matches.
The Player Character must be at location 'Woodland - South-West': Failed
Task doesn't pass restrictions, but is current highest priority failing task with restriction output.
Task priority: 26
Task 'get acorns NE Wood' matches input.
Command matches.
The Player Character must be at location 'Woodland - North-East': Passed
Object 'a butt ton of acorns' must be at location 'Woodland - North-East': Passed
Task passes restrictions and overrides previous failing task output
Task priority: 27
Attempting to execute task get acorns NE Wood...
Checking reference free task get acorns NE Wood
The Player Character must be at location 'Woodland - North-East': Passed
Object 'a butt ton of acorns' must be at location 'Woodland - North-East': Passed
Passed Restrictions
Executing Actions...
It takes for-freaking-ever, but I get every last acorn. Phew.

Task passes and has output. Will not execute lower priority tasks
Janeiac

Postby saabie » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:44 am

That debugger output example seems to be using general tasks that completely bypass the normal "take object" tasks for acorns.
I need to see one that uses the normal 'Take Objects (Parent Task)' and overrides it with a child task that lets it take it from the location.
Just a normal object that you do not do anything special with when you pick it up.

It would be a lot quicker and easier if you send me a copy of the .taf file to look at, I will send you my email address in a Personal Message.
saabie

Postby Janeiac » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:03 am

You're absolutely right, I've just realised that almost every other item in this section of the game has a general task because I needed it to do something else as well. The two items I left just lying on the floor thinking they could be picked up won't pick up at all.
Is it a general thing with the engine perhaps.

saabie wrote:It would be a lot quicker and easier if you send me a copy of the .taf file to look at, I will send you my email address in a Personal Message.

Thank you so much =)
Janeiac

Postby Lazzah » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:35 am

Janeiac wrote:You're absolutely right, I've just realised that almost every other item in this section of the game has a general task because I needed it to do something else as well. The two items I left just lying on the floor thinking they could be picked up won't pick up at all.
Is it a general thing with the engine perhaps.

Why are you using GENERAL tasks for "almost every other item"? You should use SPECIFIC tasks referencing the (TAKE objects FROM LOCATION general task) if you want them to do something else as well.

Lazzah

Postby Janeiac » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:14 am

Lazzah wrote:Why are you using GENERAL tasks for "almost every other item"? You should use SPECIFIC tasks referencing the (TAKE objects FROM LOCATION general task) if you want them to do something else as well.

Because when I look in the specific task section, there's no option to take from location (only from object) so I improvised.
Janeiac

Postby saabie » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:06 pm

You have modified the "Take objects from Location" task in the standard library, changing it so that instead of being the default for picking up objects from the ground it only works for the pile of sticks!
What you should have done is created a new specific task for the sticks which overrides the "Take objects from Location" task.
You should copy and paste this task to create a new one and alter it to override the original.
Then fix the original task:
- Change the "pile of sticks" back to the referenced object.
- Change the message back to something general like "You take the %objects%"
- Tick the "Task is Repeatable" box

This wiki article explains what Lazzah means. General tasks should give a general response for a particular command and then it should be overridden with a specific command whenever you want something different to happen.
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:35 pm

Janeiac wrote:
Lazzah wrote:Why are you using GENERAL tasks for "almost every other item"? You should use SPECIFIC tasks referencing the (TAKE objects FROM LOCATION general task) if you want them to do something else as well.

Because when I look in the specific task section, there's no option to take from location (only from object) so I improvised.

Yes there is, it is here:

Take and Drop Window.JPG
Take and Drop Window.JPG (71.09 KiB) Viewed 309 times

BTW, sorry, I should have said that it is a specific task earlier.

Lazzah

Postby Janeiac » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Lazzah wrote:Yes there is, it is here:

Take and Drop Window.JPG

BTW, sorry, I should have said that it is a specific task earlier.

Yeah, I see it there, but when I try to make a specific task of that type, it's not in the list.
Janeiac

Postby saabie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:27 am

You can't right-click it and select "Add specific task" like you can with a general task, but there are lots of other ways to create a new task.
In this case I would right-click it and select "Copy", then right-click an empty area of a folder and select "Paste".
This will copy all the text you already wrote for that task, but you need to change the name of the new task by right-clicking and select "Rename". Then open it and change its "Task should override" from the parent task to the original "Take objects from location" task.

Don't forget to go back and fix the "Take objects from location" task.
saabie

Postby Janeiac » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:10 am

Thanks for the help saabie & Lazzah. Seems like at some point my standard library just broke on me (despite me never having opened any of it before coming to ask for help here). I've copied and pasted in a clean version and it seems to be working just fine now.
Janeiac

Next

Return to ADRIFT 5.0