ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

How's the apocalypse treating you all?

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Re: How's the apocalypse treating you all?

Postby David Whyld » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:26 pm

So what's everyone been up to in their enforced absence from work? Working on games? Playing games?

Surprisingly enough, I've actually got some work done on one of my many WIPs, averaging about 2 kb a day (which is pretty lousy but even tiny progress is better than nothing). I haven't got around to actually playing any IF games yet but hopefully sometime during the next three months I'll be able to fit it into my hectic schedule.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:03 pm

I got all the video games out of my system the first couple weeks, now I'm doing a bunch of proofreading for people and will move on to some reviews I've been putting off. Kind of a slog, but if I'm still procrastinating from writing at least I can tell myself I'm being productive this way.

I'm still working a couple days a week though so that's at least something to let me tell the days apart.
Lumin

Postby rotter » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:04 am

I'm still working so nothing has really changed for me. Work for a food retail company, so it has been really crazy times. Our distribution centre has been broken all records shipping goods despite have large numbers of staff off ill. And yes, we have toilet paper.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:36 am

I have been off for some weeks now. Not too happy about it, although the weather is improving quite a bit which means that there will be work to do in the garden.
I have been working on JaFT and are just a few locations from finishing it. On top of that I have been working on the Danish IF using the newly invented Danish version of the developer. It will take some time getting used to as there are fa more differences between English and Danish than I originally thought. But I'm getting there.
I do wonder what people are doing now that they can't go out (or rather mingle etc.) Only 5 people voted on the Adrift Game of the Year Award :cry:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:46 am

P/o Prune wrote:I have been off for some weeks now. Not too happy about it, although the weather is improving quite a bit which means that there will be work to do in the garden.
I have been working on JaFT and are just a few locations from finishing it. On top of that I have been working on the Danish IF using the newly invented Danish version of the developer. It will take some time getting used to as there are fa more differences between English and Danish than I originally thought. But I'm getting there.
I do wonder what people are doing now that they can't go out (or rather mingle etc.) Only 5 people voted on the Adrift Game of the Year Award :cry:

You say five votes like it's a bad thing, but some days I still struggle to come to terms with the fact that we actually have five active members here again, I mean that's AMAZING. :? If I disappear for a month and come back, there will even be posts to catch up on!
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:03 am

Lumin wrote:You say five votes like it's a bad thing, but some days I still struggle to come to terms with the fact that we actually have five active members here again, I mean that's AMAZING. :? If I disappear for a month and come back, there will even be posts to catch up on!

I'm not saying that five votes is a bad thing. It's just that I often hear people wondering if Adrift is fading away (I have been one of them) and there's little traffic etc. and then when something is tried to get a little traffic going very few actually steps up. By the way, four of the votes were from Drifters and one from IntFic.
Maybe I'm just expecting too much these days. :blush:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:10 am

I'm with Lumin on this one. That you got five votes for the comp is amazing considering how quiet place has been for the past decade or so. Some weeks we don't even get five people posting, let alone taking the time to play games and vote for them. ADRIFT's long since been abandoned and we're pretty much just treading water until Campbell shuts the place down.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong on that and for 2020 to the Year of ADRIFT's Comeback but something tells me it won't be.
David Whyld

Postby Denk » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:31 am

I am actually surprised than someone from intfiction.org registered on the ADRIFT Forum to vote. I have talked with P/o Prune about this, so next year people from intfiction.org can just message me on infiction.org and I will forward their votes to P/o Prune. Hopefully, we will then get more votes from non-drifters. They may only vote for IFcomp games but with the "average score"-system (1-10 points like IFcomp) that isn't a problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby rovarsson » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:45 pm

I read an article in the newspaper this weekend titled "Lockdown means good days for introverts."

I wholeheartedly agree. No social obligations, no dinner parties,... All fine by me. Lots of writing and working on my game, lots of reading, long walks. Time for cooking excuisite meals (if I may say so myself).
Of course I'm lucky I have a great girlfriend and son to be at home with, and the virus hasn't attacked anyone in my inner circle yet.
If I were able to hug my parents and my best friends once in a while, all would be perfectly well in this little world I call my brain.
rovarsson

Postby Lumin » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:15 pm

rovarsson wrote:I read an article in the newspaper this weekend titled "Lockdown means good days for introverts."

I wholeheartedly agree. No social obligations, no dinner parties,... All fine by me. Lots of writing and working on my game, lots of reading, long walks. Time for cooking excuisite meals (if I may say so myself).
Of course I'm lucky I have a great girlfriend and son to be at home with, and the virus hasn't attacked anyone in my inner circle yet.
If I were able to hug my parents and my best friends once in a while, all would be perfectly well in this little world I call my brain.

Heck yes. If not for the pay I'm losing, I'd see absolutely no downside to any of this. I feel slightly bad about loving it so much of course because of people dying and such, you know, inconvenient things like that....but it sure was nice to finally have an excuse to do NOTHING for a holiday yesterday.

My dog is loving it too, she gets all the walks she wants now.
Lumin

Postby tunesmith » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:59 pm

Here's my quick nonsense posting. :) Context, I tried to join so I could message Lumin about something unrelated, the site didn't send me my activation email, then I eventually got manually approved, and now we're confirming that it worked! Hooray! Looks like it worked! Oh, and keeping with the theme of the thread even though no one else here knows me, here in Oregon the numbers aren't horrible, I am taking a month off of work, spending it on projects, and so far it still seems I have a job waiting for me in May. Fingers crossed.
tunesmith

Postby David Whyld » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:39 am

Lumin wrote:Heck yes. If not for the pay I'm losing, I'd see absolutely no downside to any of this. I feel slightly bad about loving it so much of course because of people dying and such, you know, inconvenient things like that....but it sure was nice to finally have an excuse to do NOTHING for a holiday yesterday.

I'm enjoying being off and feeling slightly bad about saying that because people are literally dying out there. But as there's nothing I can do about it, and the sensible thing is to stay at home anyway, I'm making the best of a bad situation. I've been furloughed - 80% pay - which is pretty damn great, especially as I was prepared to take a couple of months off without pay not so long ago. With no travel expenses and nowhere open for me to go and waste my money, I'm probably slightly better off than if I was working. So far I've been off for two weeks and boredom hasn't set in yet but ask me in two months and I might be crawling the walls and begging to be let back to work.

On the production side of things, I've done amazingly well. I've started six different games since the beginning of my furlough. And how many games have I abandoned in that same timeframe? Five and counting. The sixth one I'm kinda on the fence about at the moment but hopefully something will come of it.
David Whyld

Postby David Whyld » Thu May 28, 2020 4:02 pm

So how's the furlough been working for everyone regarding getting games finished? Hopefully better than me as I've successfully abandoned several promising projects because after starting work on them, I realised they weren't very promising after all. On the plus side, though, I've gone back to an earlier unfinished game of mine from earlier in the year which is going quite well. 84kb and counting so far. Considering I've been basically sat at home with nothing much to do for 2 months, it's a little depressing I haven't got more done but, well, baby steps.
David Whyld

Postby rovarsson » Thu May 28, 2020 7:26 pm

'Twas a very fruitful stretch of time for me indeed. TT is coming up on 13Okb and I estimate I have written at least a hundred of those during lockdown. Of course, I could almost always get to my computer when the Muse called. I'll have to carry a notebook and muster up the motivation to sit down and write in the evenings in a week or so, when semi-normal life begins again.
rovarsson

Postby rotter » Thu May 28, 2020 8:07 pm

Been working normally through all this. So, unfortunately my production has been zero.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

PreviousNext

Return to Drifting Off-Topic