Developer loading problem

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
Lazzah

Developer loading problem

Post by Lazzah »

Hi Campbell and any knowledgeable Drifter,

I have all my ADRIFT game .taf file on my desktop as shortcuts. Since installing ADRIFT v.5.0.36.3, every time I click on one of the shortcuts, I get this pop-up:
Error.png
Error.png (72.38 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Is it something I have done or a problem with v.5.0.36.3?

Edit: It must be something to do with v.5.0.36.3 as I have rolled back to v.5.36.1 and the game files now load OK.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Developer loading problem

Post by P/o Prune »

I haven't had any problems (so far)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
Denk

Post by Denk »

It works for me, but since the v36 versions are not released with an installer, we might install the versions differently. Since I know some of you had the beta-version of v36 on your pc's, perhaps there was an installer for that beta-version? If so, you are upgrading from v5.0.36.1 to v5.0.36.3 whereas I upgraded from v35. That might make a difference(?)

Anyway, this is how I "install" v5.0.36.3:
1. Looong time ago I installed v5.0.35. I never installed v5.0.36.1, I only copied it to a folder.
2. When I was ready to upgrade to v5.0.36.3, I removed all files in the folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\ADRIFT
3. I then copied all the new files (v5.0.36.3) into C:\Program Files (x86)\ADRIFT
Now everything works.

Just a few ideas to get it to work:
* Try to associate taf-files with another program (not adrift), e.g. Word or something. Then change it back to ADRIFT.
* Try to uninstall v36 and then install v35 and upgrade as I did above

Hope you can get it to work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Campbell
Site Admin

Post by Campbell »

Had you deleted 5.0.36.1 when you installed 5.0.36.3? It looks like you had them in different folders. Your best bet is to just copy the exes into the same location each time, e.g. C:\Program Files\ADRIFT\dev500.exe. Then any references in the Registry to the executable will be the same each time the software updates.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

Hi Campbell,

I tried that but the pop-up still happened. Strangely, on my tablet I don't have any problems. Any ideas?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Campbell
Site Admin

Post by Campbell »

So what happens if you search for the new exe in More apps? Does it not remember that setting?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

No. No matter which version of the dev500.exe I click on, when I try to open the file again I get that pop-up.

However... I have a shortcut to the dev500.exe file on my desktop, when I click on that, it opens normally! :?