Ectocomp 2020

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF
Lumin

Ectocomp 2020

Post by Lumin »

So who's attempting this besides Theo and myself?

I'm actually distressingly busy this month and things just keep piling up, but that four hour category is so hard to walk by...
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Ectocomp 2020

Post by P/o Prune »

Do they still have the "old" rules for the Ectocomp? like you can only work on your game for a certain time? (I believe it was three hours)

Oh, correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the Ectocomp an old Adrift "invention"? I seem to remember that it all started here in the forum many, many years ago.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 44Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
rotter

Post by rotter »

P/o Prune wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:03 am Do they still have the "old" rules for the Ectocomp? like you can only work on your game for a certain time? (I believe it was three hours)

Oh, correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the Ectocomp an old Adrift "invention"? I seem to remember that it all started here in the forum many, many years ago.
It did, but you are probably going back 10 years since it was an all Adrift affair.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
Denk

Post by Denk »

There are two categories now:

1. Maximum 4 hours developing time
2. More than 4 hours developing time

In addition, they are running a Spanish version of Ectocomp too.

The English website can be found here: https://itch.io/jam/ectocomp-2020-english

I guess most people can find 4 hours (16 days left to submit). The hard thing is to get an appropriate idea. :|
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Although I know that one can always plan things in advance ... Write location texts, task responses etc. in advance, I still end up finding myself short of time. I guess I'm just not cut out for these kind of time limit things. Which is why I enjoy playin IF so much. I enjoy the time to sit and think about the puzzle, sipping a cup of tea (or whatever :wink: )
Denk

Post by Denk »

The rules might have changed over the years. Perhaps I should have used another word above than "developing time".

Now adays, the rules say:
* Any time spent planning, thinking, doodling, researching, etc does not count.
* Any time spent writing words or code that end up in-game totally does count.

So you are not allowed to write location text, task responses etc. in advance, as this counts.
The Bash Saga:
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

I kind of miss when it was an annual Adrift thing, it was one of the more popular contests here and we got some fun little games out of it.

Probably wouldn't be enough people playing/discussing now to bother with our own thing again though.
Denk

Post by Denk »

Ectocomp needs more votes!

You only need to play one game to rate it.
52 hours left.

It is going on on itch.io:

https://itch.io/jam/ectocomp-2020-english/

Perhaps an excuse to create a user on itch.io(?) Then you can also upload your ADRIFT exe-files and itch.io will count how many downloads you have.
The Bash Saga:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:40 pm I kind of miss when it was an annual Adrift thing, it was one of the more popular contests here and we got some fun little games out of it.

Probably wouldn't be enough people playing/discussing now to bother with our own thing again though.
I'm afraid you're right, Lumin. Although I must say that from the looks of it there are new people coming in. The big question is whether they stay or fade away slowly.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

I already voted on a few of the Ectocomp games, but not surprised if participation has been low when their voting period overlaps with the IFComp's.
P/o Prune wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:02 am I'm afraid you're right, Lumin. Although I must say that from the looks of it there are new people coming in. The big question is whether they stay or fade away slowly.
I've just been so frustrated with Adrift for awhile now, I hate that I love the community and everything about the program as writing tool, and yet can't seriously recommend it to any IF authors I know when its future seems so up in the air based on things the community can't control.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

I'm sorry to hear that, Lumin. Especially since
What do you mean that its future seems so up in the air? We have Denk, who is presently working on a new library and has made other huge contributions to the developer. Not to mention that Adrift has now been translated into Italian, and Danish (The first Danish adventure is already released, by yours truly 8) ) Saabie has pitched in with a new library too. People in the forum are generally very good at helping newcomers getting started and overcoming obstacles as they create their first game. Not to mention that Campbell (although not always present) drops in from time to time.
We have to go further back than I care to remember to see a bigger number of entries to the annual IF Comp. The0didactus have released a monster of a game, that climbed high on the scoring list.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

That's all on the writing and community side of things though, no problems there.

But at some point there comes a time when you want people to play these things, and the options are:

1) an extremely suspect .exe to be downloaded and launched only on your say-so, while the only operating system it will run on screams at them that it's a virus and tries to slap it out of their hand.

2) a game file requiring downloading and installation of a completely separate program that is also A VIRUS OMG IT'S A VIRUS ABORT ABORT!!!!, and a multi step process to launch it and make necessary changes to options before they can begin. Best option if they have a computer, know how to use it, trust you, are patient, and are convinced they'll enjoy the game before ever playing it.

3) having it explained or else having to discover for themselves that the Mono version is and always has been a tease and a blatant lie that the site still pretends is real for....some kind of reason, maybe.

4) an only half functional web runner that for years simply didn't work at all or else was completely unreliable. If you don't tab out, don't let it time out, don't try to reload the game or start a different one, and keep a pen and paper handy if you ever want to save, you can sort of play like this. Tiny and unreadable text on mobile though and so be ready to zoom in any time there's new text to read in this game played entirely by reading text.

5) Fabularium app, with its own set of complications that start with just being able to locate the file you've downloaded. Built in keyboard doesn't collapse and will always cover half the screen, but if the player has the technical know how to launch the game this might be the pinnacle of all possible play experiences for any newbie.

Meanwhile, playing a text game made with any other system:

1) "Here's the link, enjoy!"

I think I'd actually cry with happiness if I could just hand someone a link to a good game and they could just play it without me needing to go though this whole exhausting process of apologies and explanations every time.
rotter

Post by rotter »

Lumin wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:01 pm Meanwhile, playing a text game made with any other system:

1) "Here's the link, enjoy!"

I think I'd actually cry with happiness if I could just hand someone a link to a good game and they could just play it without me needing to go though this whole exhausting process of apologies and explanations every time.
I know when I entered a game into the IFComp back in 2017 I was amazed at how many people played online. Also I know from the IF events in London and Oxford I've attended the rest of the IF world isn't Windows based. So, the web runner is vital.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

I see your point, Lumin, and I follow your reasoning. I will ask Campbell if there's anything I can do to help (like you said, does it have to be Campbell that writes Microsoft?)
It is important that Adrift games becomes available to as many people as possible. And I, for one, is ready to have this as priority #1. Even if it means that work on the developer is put on hold for a while.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Thanks, I appreciate that. I feel bad my posts have been so negative lately, I don't want to go around being a downer when everyone has been getting excited about Adrift again, but this is the core issue for me that I keep tripping over and I have no idea if it's a simple fix or an impossible one because there's just been no communication about it. I'd made a post detailing the saving/loading issues with the online runner the last time Campbell asked about it, I'd be ecstatic if even just those were updated to be on par with the online players everyone else is using, but tbh I'm not sure if he even saw it. And I would feel weird messaging him outside the site, afaik you're the only one that is able to stay in contact that way.