Count of all ADRIFT games todate

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.
rotter

Count of all ADRIFT games todate

Post by rotter »

Just a little bit of fun. This is a count of all ADRIFT games on the Delron ADRIFT Games List. I've excluded any games which are identified as AIF.

Attachments
games.png
games.png (9.58 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
Denk

Re: Count of all ADRIFT games todate

Post by Denk »

That's interesting. I always had the impression that most ADRIFT games were available on the ADRIFT site in the games section. But there are only 325 games. I now realize that a lot of the games are bundled in zip-files under "competitions". So it is great that you have made the Delron list, so we can find and try those games not listed as complete adventures on the ADRIFT site.

I was also quite surprised to learn that 30 ADRIFT 5 games were released from 2011-2012. I doubt ADRIFT 5 was very mature in 2011, considering the bugs that are still present now. People could have continued using ADRIFT 4 if they prefered but from the numbers above, that didn't happen. It would be interesting to know why. In comparison, many are still using Inform 6 after Inform 7 arrived.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

From the moment Campbell announced that he was working on a brand new version of the Developer (V.5) people pretty much stopped using V.4. Unfortunately the release of V.5 took quite a long time (understatement? :whistle: ) and many (most) driftefs lost patience and either lost interest in Adrift, and found other platforms, or lost interest in IF altogether.
We are still struggeling to get back on our feet, why it's so important to reach a wide audience as possible.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 60Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
rotter

Post by rotter »

P/o Prune wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:47 am From the moment Campbell announced that he was working on a brand new version of the Developer (V.5) people pretty much stopped using V.4. Unfortunately the release of V.5 took quite a long time (understatement? :whistle: ) and many (most) drifters lost patience and either lost interest in Adrift, and found other platforms, or lost interest in IF altogether.
We are still struggling to get back on our feet, why it's so important to reach a wide audience as possible.
You are right PO. Just looked back and my last proper ADRIFT game was Vague back in 2009. I started Blank Wall (which is actually finished) but lost interest in ADRIFT, both my last new games have used Inform 7.

Posted the count to show that the number of ADRIFT games has been on the increase in recent years.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
rotter

Post by rotter »

Denk wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:19 am That's interesting. I always had the impression that most ADRIFT games were available on the ADRIFT site in the games section. But there are only 325 games. I now realize that a lot of the games are bundled in zip-files under "competitions". So it is great that you have made the Delron list, so we can find and try those games not listed as complete adventures on the ADRIFT site.
I started it way back in the mid 2000's and I do my best to keep it updated. Happy for anyone to point out errors or omissions.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

2013-2015 sure were dark times...

We didn't see than many in more recent years either, although the ones that do get completed are getting more substantial and polished.

e: just realized this topic was a month old, whoops.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:37 pm 2013-2015 sure were dark times...

We didn't see than many in more recent years either, although the ones that do get completed are getting more substantial and polished.

Doesn't matter about the age of the topic, Lumin.
I believe that the main reason for the "dark times" was when Campbell announced that he was working on Adrift 5.
People held back on the reins, awaiting this new wonder. Unfortunately it took much longer than anticipated and during that time there were next to no updates on the Adrift 4. So people "drifted" off to other platforms, or left the IF scene altogether.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 60Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
rotter

Post by rotter »

Lumin wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:37 pm 2013-2015 sure were dark times...

I think we have cause for some hope (a bit). The games produced recently have been of a higher quality than the majority of the old games. Try a few when you have a moment, most are terrible. But a few issues need to be sorted such stopping ADRIFT being reported as a virus!, a reliable functional web runner or a multi-platform runner (it seems to be a non-Windows word out there in IF land). And doubling clicking an ADRIFT games opens the runner not the developer.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Someone in the Discord was asking what the heck happened in 2013, but I don't remember any specific incident. I assume it was just general burnout and loss of interest because of the reasons Prune gave.
But a few issues need to be sorted such stopping ADRIFT being reported as a virus!, a reliable functional web runner or a multi-platform runner (it seems to be a non-Windows word out there in IF land). And doubling clicking an ADRIFT games opens the runner not the developer.
Guess I should mention that there's a new guy in the Discord, sarai, taking a crack at an online runner. I suspect however it'll only be a matter of a day or two before he's reduced to gibbering madness like all the others.