ADRIFT Forum


The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

CYOA: Adventures in Arthaga Wood - aka I'm bored and have no life

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby alsnpk » Sat May 24, 2008 7:14 pm

I'm gonna go for

1.) stealing is wrong!
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
User avatar
alsnpk
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:58 pm
Location: UK (was US)
Points: 10

Postby Lumin » Sun May 25, 2008 4:01 pm

I guess I'll just leave this alone for awhile longer, give a couple more people chances to vote HINT HINT...
User avatar
Lumin
 
Posts: 2127
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:48 pm
Points: 49

Postby KFAdrift » Mon May 26, 2008 7:59 am

1.) stealing is wrong!
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
User avatar
KFAdrift
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4884
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2002 4:42 pm
Location: Surrey, southern England

Postby Corey Arnett » Mon May 26, 2008 3:00 pm

Sorry...the weekend is beer drinking time! ;)

2.) Opportunities like this shouldn't be ignored.




Edited By Corey Arnett on 1211814082
Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things . . .

Check Out PROVENANCE - a full size text adventure at the Interactive Fiction Archive.
User avatar
Corey Arnett
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:43 am
Location: Mackenzie, BC.  Canada.
Points: 10

Postby Lumin » Mon May 26, 2008 4:11 pm

You guys! Now you've just gone and tied the vote! :p (oh and great to have you join in KF!)

I'm going to let this sit here just a bit longer, if no one else posts I'll flip a coin to decide.

edit: voting now closed, watch this space for update

edit 2:

Shar Sumal is very protective of the guild's horses, but how can you pass up an opportunity like this? Cautiously you move over to untie Lucky Star, who nickers softly in recognition. Checking one last time to make sure you're not being watched, you swing yourself up on his back and nudge him with your heels, moving him at a quick pace away from the stables and down a narrow side street that eventually meanders its way to the city gates.

A rough voice stops you as you try to pass through them. "Halt!" You bite your lip as a guard approaches, suddenly nervous. They usually only scrutinize people trying to enter the city. You're not sure how you attracted this one's attention, but you're painfully aware that you're riding a stolen horse--well, a borrowed one anyway--and you can only pray that he doesn't notice the brand on Lucky Star's hip.

"Doesn't that horse belong to the fighter's guild?" the guard asks, pointing to the brand on Lucky Star's hip.

Damn.

"Uh...yeah," you croak. "I, um...I'm in the fighter's guild. I'm on a tracking drill." Tracking another mounted rider being one of the basics taught in Shar Sumal's class and the simplest and hopefully most believable excuse for you to be alone with a guild horse that you can think of on such short notice.

"Is that so?" The guard drawls, staring at you suspiciously and for much longer than seems necessary. Your palms begin to sweat. "What happened to your clothes, then?"

You blink. "My clothes?" Only then do you realize what got the man's attention in the first place. Damn Typhol and that bucket of disgusting water. Not that your clothing was in the best shape to begin with, but now you're riding a clearly expensive and well-bred horse while wet and filthier than most beggars.

Some fast thinking is required. "Ah, well, this'll be my first time on the drill, and some of the fellows got in their heads to play a prank on me...you know how it is."

Miraculously, this seems to satisfy the guard, and he waves you toward the gate, looking amused. "All right, carry on then."

Once outside, you breath a sigh of relief and give Lucky Star a little kick, staying at a fast trot until the city is well behind you, then slowing to an easier pace the horse can keep up for hours. As you make your way past increasingly scattered farms and fields, you reflect that despite some close calls, your luck has definitely taken a turn for the better. Sure, you'll never know what your wealthy friend Joachor may have been able to offer you, but right now you've got a fine horse, a fine sword, a pack full of...well, you don't know what yet but it's better than the nothing you started with, and by leaving immediately you've even gotten a head start on Haderath and any other bounty hunters, who will surely wait till morning to ride out so they can enter the forest with a few hours of daylight ahead of them.

...not that that's necessarily a bad idea, you muse, as you get closer and closer to the dark line of trees in the distance. You started out roughly at midday, and it will be twilight by the time you reach the wood. You've had enough experience to know that not all the things that are whispered to lurk within it are mere rumors, but at the same time you feel confident you can defend yourself from the more common threats.

Whatever the case, time is passing quickly, and you'll have to decide soon whether to:


1.) find shelter now
2.) press on and enter the forest




Oh yes, and two things:

1.) Everyone who votes needs to also give me a random number between one and ten. This will determine what supplies are in the pack. This of course also means that move votes = more loot.

2.) Just FYI, from this point on Yorec can (and probably will) be killed in a dangerous situation if his luck is bad...thankfully this story includes a little thing called 'undo'. However I do want to clarify that this has nothing to do with me liking or not liking a certain choice. (I never put one up unless I have interesting results planned.) Instead it will be up to you guys, picking random numbers or answering questions you do not understand. ]:) You'll also help me decide on non life-and-death events this way, both good and bad.




Edited By Lumin on 1211848320
User avatar
Lumin
 
Posts: 2127
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:48 pm
Points: 49

Postby Cowboy » Tue May 27, 2008 7:41 am

1: Find shelter now ... (I hate getting wet)

Random number: 8
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
User avatar
Cowboy
 
Posts: 1480
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:18 am
Location: Denmark

Postby rotter » Tue May 27, 2008 7:47 am

2) Press on and enter the forest

Random number: 2
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
User avatar
rotter
 
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 12:12 am
Location: UK
Points: 20

Postby alsnpk » Tue May 27, 2008 4:50 pm

1.) find shelter now

Number: 5
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
User avatar
alsnpk
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:58 pm
Location: UK (was US)
Points: 10

Postby Lumin » Wed May 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Voting will be closed in roughly two hours. If anyone else wants to contribute they better do it quick. :)

edit: Okay, voting closed, update on the way...




Edited By Lumin on 1212016891
User avatar
Lumin
 
Posts: 2127
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:48 pm
Points: 49

Postby Lumin » Thu May 29, 2008 2:02 am

You know you'll undoubtedly be forced to camp in the wood at some point during your mission, but you see no reason to tempt fate by doing so tonight. Reining Lucky Star to a halt outside the next homestead you pass--which, admittedly, looks more like a simple shack with a largish garden behind it than a proper farm--you loudly hail the occupants.

An old farmer with a twisted back eventually comes hobbling out. "Well," he says, after squinting at you a moment, "you don't look like a bandit."

"I assure you sir, I'm no bandit," you quickly respond, hoping to put him at ease. The wealthy farmers near Clearford are well-protected by regular patrols, but justice is a rare commodity this close to the forest, where no one with the means to live elsewhere would voluntarily stay, and criminals of all sorts freely prey on the weak. "I'm merely a traveller in need of a place to stay the night."

"That so?" the old man looks you over again, then casually spits on the ground. "Reckon that horse ain't yours, but then again it don't matter much. Me and the wife ain't got nothin' worth stealin' anyhow, least not since the greenies run off with our pigs."

You blink. "Goblins, this far from the mountain?"

"They been known to come raiding, now and again." The farmer shrugs, then waves you towards the house. "It'll be dark soon, might as well come in."

Neither the farmer nor his wife turn out to be much for stimulating conversation, but you're content enough to be able to eat your fill of cabbage stew and bed down on a warm quilt in the (relative) safety and comfort of a small shed behind the house, with Lucky Star tied up right outside. Once alone, you also take the opportunity to go through the pack the horse had had strapped to him, finding first a canteen--useful, though you're slightly disappointed to see it contains only water--along with enough food to last you about three days. Rummaging past these, you're pleased to come across a pair of even more helpful items; a small jar of ointment with the telltale odor of the healing sap of the blessed alicorn tree, and a copper ring with a magical rune scribed on it. On closer inspection the ring's enchantment is rather weak, a simple one-use Safe Sleep charm that you yourself could make with the proper equipment, but you know if you're ever attacked in the night you'll be glad for its warning.

You slip the ring onto your finger and pull out the final item, a letter with the official seal of the fighter's guild. It's addressed to the keeper of the Raven's Roost, a combination inn and trading post that as far as you know is the only thing (just barely) resembling civilization between the entrance to Argatha Wood and the Redspire fortress clear on the other side of it, and it indicates that the letter's bearer is a trusted member of the guild, there to pick up an already-purchased magical rope. The exact nature of the enchantment isn't specified, but you suspect that any item worth sending a high-ranking apprentice on a three day journey outside the city for must be fairly valuable, and as you drift off to sleep you find yourself thinking that an inn might be a good place to seek information on the bandits you're tracking, and at the same time wondering whether your luck will hold out long enough to let you "borrow" yet another valuable item from the guild...



Okay, sorry for the lack of a real choice in this one. I guess you could vote for whether to scam the innkeeper out of the rope or not (I'm assuming everyone will pick the former but feel free to prove me wrong) but mainly I needed to stop now so you guys can tell me your favorite color. :)

And no you don't get to know why. ]:)




Edited By Lumin on 1212026815
User avatar
Lumin
 
Posts: 2127
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:48 pm
Points: 49

Postby Cowboy » Thu May 29, 2008 5:15 am

Color ... blue
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
User avatar
Cowboy
 
Posts: 1480
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:18 am
Location: Denmark

Postby Corey Arnett » Thu May 29, 2008 4:36 pm

Color = red.
Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things . . .

Check Out PROVENANCE - a full size text adventure at the Interactive Fiction Archive.
User avatar
Corey Arnett
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:43 am
Location: Mackenzie, BC.  Canada.
Points: 10

Postby alsnpk » Thu May 29, 2008 7:41 pm

black
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
User avatar
alsnpk
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:58 pm
Location: UK (was US)
Points: 10

Postby Lumin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:27 am

Your sleep is undisturbed even by dreams, and at dawn you awaken, refreshed. The farmer's wife feeds you a breakfast of fried potatoes, and even surprises you with a set of homespun clothes that used to belong to her son. They're a bit...rural for your tastes and slightly too large, but at least they're clean, and you're happy to change into them and discard your old rags. It's a bit embarrassing to accept charity from people so poor, but you have no way to repay the couple and can only thank them profusely for their hospitality as you saddle up Lucky Star and get on your way.

From here it isn't far at all to the edge of the forest, and by late morning you find yourself at the very edge of Arthaga Wood. Despite the hurry you've been in to get here, you find yourself hesitating a moment before steeling your nerves and entering, slowing your pace and proceeding cautiously as the dark trees loom overhead, pressing close around the narrow trail you ride on.

Before long you come to a fork, and take the righthand trail which almost immediately merges with a wider path that looks as though it's occasionally used by wagons. This would be the Redspire Road, leading south back to Clearford and north past the inn and deeper into Argatha until it finally reaches the Redspire fortress, from there leading across the Greenskin Mountains to the famed city of Wildwind on the coast.

Nudging Lucky Star, you waste no time heading north.


Sorry to do this no choice thing twice in a row, but this seemed like a good stopping point since if I'd continued it would have gotten way too long. Instead I'm going to something a little different here and let you guys directly choose an outcome. Basically, I need to know whether to put in a random encounter, or if you just want to get to the inn and get the story rolling already. I don't know if I'm just obsessing too much on the details or what, (I probably am, that's always been a flaw in my writing style), but it seems like it's taking forever to get from Point A to Point B and I don't want to bore everyone to death.

So do you want to:

1.) go immediately to the inn
2.) risk a random encounter

Please pick a number between one and ten regardless of what you choose above.

Anyway, should I be trying to pick up the pace of the story in general?
User avatar
Lumin
 
Posts: 2127
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:48 pm
Points: 49

Postby Cowboy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:03 am

2: Risk a random encounter.... (do you feel lucky punk? ;) ) ... "Dirty Harry"

Random number is 8 (again)
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
User avatar
Cowboy
 
Posts: 1480
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:18 am
Location: Denmark

PreviousNext

Return to General IF

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron