ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Writing Challenges - I propose a new way.

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby Corey Arnett » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Well, just hear me out. While I wouldn't say that the forum is exactly thriving, I can say that it isn't dead yet. But, I do know one thing: I haven't opened the Generator in months! I am ashamed to admit that. I think part of what is going on is the lack of enthusiasm because of this whole v5 thing. I say BS! Enough! So, as a way of getting people to open up their Generators and write something I have come up with a new way to do the writing challenges. Perhaps something like this:

Instead of having people write their room descriptions or conversations or what have you here on the forum, somebody (like maybe NickyDude ;) ) could get the ball rolling by creating the shell TAF file that contains the one room and whatever objects he would like to see. This file then becomes available to whoever would like to give it a go. Prospective contestants could 'sign up' by making their intentions known in the Writing Discussion Forum. The file would then be sent out to that person (first come first served basis) and that person would have one day (24 hr period) to do their best writing/coding while sticking only to the objects/rooms provided. At the end of the 24 hour period that person sends the TAF back to the organizer with a new room and several new objects to create. This process could continue for the month and at the end there would be a nicely rounded out TAF file with all of the descriptions built in! While it wouldn't be a complete game that could be played to completion there should be a good number of rooms and objects already created and the beginnings of a decent game could be in the making. There could then be a voting period with the monthly winner taking possession of the monthly TAF file to do with as he or she sees fit.

Does any of this make any sense? Is this just a pipe dream on my part?

I think this would at least get people using ADRIFT again.
Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things . . .

Check Out PROVENANCE - a full size text adventure at the Interactive Fiction Archive.
Corey Arnett

Postby alsnpk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:01 pm

Sounds interesting to me (actually reminds me of my Team Comp idea but without the teams, and I'm not sure how judging would go)... the only real issue would be whether or not people would actually sign up and do it.
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
alsnpk

Postby alsnpk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:13 pm

(This one, in case you're wondering what I'm talking about)

Edited By alsnpk on 1233180859
Released:

alsnpk

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:22 pm

These ideas where a file gets tossed back and forth always sound fun but in the end they never work out, people always lose interest or get busy in real life while someone else is impatiently waiting on their turn and eventually the whole thing just dies.

Can I propose a simpler idea?

Nickydude posts the prompt like always, but entries are sent to him in the form of a completed room. So it's less complicated as far as coordination goes, but still a good little writing exercise that actually requires opening ADRIFT to enter and vote on.

And heck, if we ever have another comp based on the writing challenge somewhere down the road, half the work will already be done.

Edited By Lumin on 1233512612
Lumin

Postby alsnpk » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:42 pm

That does sound like something people would be more likely to get done.

Could we vary it a little so it's not always just room challenges? Then, eventually, all the winning entries could be made into a game... :) Plus it's more fun to have variety instead of always describing rooms.
Released:

alsnpk

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:31 pm

Well, for me the beauty of room descriptions is that they're simple and quick so that both newbies and people with busy schedules have no excuse for not entering, but if we can come up with some other variations that stick to the spirit of that I'm all for it.

If nothing else, maybe we could just encourage entrants to make the rooms fully implemented? And leave the specific definition of 'fully implemented' up to them, so they're free to put as much time and effort as they want into impressing the voters.
Lumin

Return to General IF