ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

another ally problem

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Tomo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:13 am

Hello,

I am old time lurker recently turned registered member of this forum. I am having some problem of the ally sort.

Here goes...

I am in a room underneath the arena, Kyra is here. She is neutral and stationary. When I take the dagger from the weapon rack and give it to her, this task turns her into an ally and start movement follow player, duration 1, looped.

Now, here is the problem. When Kyra follows me into the arena, the room above, she does not attack our enemy (Bork the lowlife), and he does not attack her. Allies are supposed to attack your enemies and be attacked by them as well, no?
Quest Pro and Adrift dabbler.
Tomo

Postby Simply Ryan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:42 pm

Don't be embarrassed to answer this, because it has happened to me on many accounts. Did you remember to make Bork an enemy? Or the task of giving Kyra the dagger have the action to changer her to ally?
If I'm online, I'm on mini-chat.
Organic - A0.5.1 - Time/turn constraints loosened a bit; taking hiatus
Dawn of Man - A0.0.7 - Typos fixed; taking hiatus
Peculiar - A0.0.6 - Finished Introduction sequence; taking hiatus
Simply Ryan

Postby Tomo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:41 pm

Yes, both. Infact, Bork was an enemy to begin with, and the task "give dagger to Kyra" would change Kyra's attitude from neutral to ally, as well as make her follow the player.
Tomo

Postby alsnpk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Hmm. Do they have stats for everything? If the Battle options like Stamina/etc. aren't increased from zero, nothing will happen when the two come across each other... Otherwise I'd have to take a look at the game to try to figure it out, 'cause I'm not thinking of what else it could be.
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
alsnpk

Postby Tomo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:35 pm

I solved it, however, I might have found a bug here.

If Kyra is an ally to begin with, and I just start the movement "follow player" immediately after the task "give dagger to Kyra", then she will attack my enemy (Bork) and also be attacked by him.

BUT...

...if she is neutral to begin with, and the same task will change her attitude to ally, it does not work at all, which is kind of a problem if you want neutrals becoming allies in your game.
Tomo

Postby alsnpk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Oh, this actually sounds familiar. How about if you start her off as an ally, switch her to neutral at the beginning of the game, then back to ally at the desired time? Any luck then?
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
alsnpk

Postby Tomo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:52 pm

So I made Kyra an ally to begin with, then...

1. Made a task called "make Kyra neutral", restrictions "alignment var equal to 0", actions "change attitude of Kyra to neutral" and "change alignment var to 1" (as not to repeat it the next time the player enters the room).

2. Made an event, starting immediately and executing the task "make Kyra neutral", then...

3. Giving her the dagger, turning her into an ally again. Still does not work.
Tomo

Postby KFAdrift » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Suppose now is a good time to mention that the battle system was never very successful and that most people tended to write their own version.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:38 pm

:blush:
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:41 pm

the battle system was never very successful

'Struth.
Duncan_B

Postby Campbell » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:54 pm

No reason why decent systems couldn't be made as libraries for v5 tho. Perhaps someone else will take up that challenge...?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Tomo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Well, I would not say the battle system is bad, on the contrary, it is quite versatile to work with, even though I am a beginner and cannot make my "own" system. It is not D&D, but I like it nonetheless.

For now, I will do fine with just allies and not neutrals becoming allies. :)
Tomo

Postby Albaniua » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:07 pm

I know this is way late but.....

There are basically two ways of fixing bugs in a drift. figuring out why the way its supposed to work doesn't work and finding some way to work around the problem.

You could create two kyras: a neutral one and a ally one.
when you run the task "give dagger to kyra" the actions would be to move neutral kyra to hidden and move ally kyra from hidden to where you are at.

I had the exact same problem and its what I had to do. I then had to mask the fact that it was a different character using the ALR.
Honk if you've played Escape from Rungistan.
Albaniua

Postby Albaniua » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:12 pm

other thing....

the task list is sort of a linear piece of code. I've gotten some problems to sort themselves out just by placing the task that isn't working in front/before/above other tasks, especially if there are several conditional tasks about the same thing--giving a dagger while wearing a bandanna vs giving when there is no bandanna or whatever. its sounds screwy and maybe its just some voodoo magic, but its fixed stuff
Honk if you've played Escape from Rungistan.
Albaniua

Postby Tomo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Thank you Albaniua for your suggestions! To be honest, I sort of settled with using just allies and enemies for my game, since neutrals were not really necessary for the nonexistent plot.

Now, drifting off-topic...what kind of default battle system will be used in Adrift 5? Is there one yet? I would love to have something similar to the one in Adrift 4, since it is so easy to get started with. Maybe some extra tweaking menues like the ones used in RPG Maker VX, no? :)
Tomo

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0