ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Help with a novel

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Postby NickyDude » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:56 am

Hi guys,

I'm putting together a novel, set in "Lord of the Rings" time, sort of "D&D / medieval" times, with dragons, ogres, goblins, demons, magic etc and I need help with a few things:

1/. How can I tell what time it is? I want something to happen bang on midnight but how did medieval people know what time it was?

2/. What would you give a 21 year-old female for her birthday back in "D&D" times?

Any help appreciated. :cool:
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby BlueMaxima » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:16 am

NickyDude wrote:Hi guys,

I'm putting together a novel, set in "Lord of the Rings" time, sort of "D&D / medieval" times, with dragons, ogres, goblins, demons, magic etc and I need help with a few things:

1/. How can I tell what time it is? I want something to happen bang on midnight but how did medieval people know what time it was?

2/. What would you give a 21 year-old female for her birthday back in "D&D" times?

Any help appreciated. :cool:

1: Say when the moon is right in the middle of the sky.

2: Handmade dress, maybe some assorted cooking stuff, decoration or something like that. :p
BlueMaxima

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:17 am

It all sort of depends on the culture you establish for your own universe, but in the interest of being helpful I can try to answer one question for you: medieval time was determined largely by daily prayers, for which church bells were rung at certain hours. You can see the Liturgy of the Hours in action in games like Arthur: The Quest for Excalibur and Darklands. Of course, you could roll with sundials, too. But, then, you could also say that time in your universe is kept by magical pillars marked with the hours in the centre of every town lit with faerie light that diminishes predictably as the day wears on, or whatever other method you think is most convenient. It is fantasy, after all.

As far as what I might give a 21 year old woman in a fantasy medieval setting for her birthday... again, that sort of depends on the culture you establish. As an author, if you say she's given a jade ring and other characters react appropriately to this, I as a reader would accept it and think it normal in that universe. Same if they gave her a cow or a husband. So, you've got some questions to answer, for example, what is expected of women in the society you're constructing? What is their life expectancy? Do people live in monogamous relationships and, if so, at what age are women expected to marry? Is the society egalitarian? What sort of occupations might a woman be engaged in? A gift related to someone's occupation always tends to be appropriate. What sort of social class is she in? I'd give a very different gift to aristocracy than to a peasant than to a merchant than to a monk, and so on.

Often the content of a story is fit around some sort of constraint or convenience for the author. Don't be afraid to just fly by the seat of your pants and make stuff up. For example, one of the most iconic technologies from Star Trek, the teleporter, was not planned to appear in the series. Gene Roddenberry (spellcheck underlines teleporter, but not Roddenberry?) originally wanted the crew of the Enterprise to fly to planets in shuttles, but they didn't have the budget to make them... so... well, they just teleported to planets. Simple as that.

Anyway... lemme know if that helps, somehow.
Duncan_B

Postby NickyDude » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:42 am

Thanks guys, that does sorta help.

The plot
----------
A red-haired, free-spirited girl called Jenny, is told, on her 21st birthday, that she's "special" and needs to visit a certain person at a certain place and show him a certain object. The trilogy of novels revolves around her and her companions adventures, a bit like "Lord of the Rings".
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:08 am

If you get stuck on the trilogy, you might try to write some short stories in the setting, perhaps involving the characters.
Duncan_B

Postby Chascoda » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:11 am

For her birthday?

Yes, a dress, of course! if by "special" you mean "has inherited magical abilities from an ancient bloodline", then think of Sleeping Beauty.

Yes, the Disney version. xD

For her birthday, she got a cake(of course), and a dress. Why not give her, as said before, a handmade dress? But make it so there's something other than thread embroidered into the deep, vibrant colors... *hint hint*
I don't gopher that.. -_-
Chascoda

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:13 pm

You mean "Say when the full moon is in the middle of the sky." Alternately, "Say when the first quarter / last quarter" moon is on the horizon."
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Return to General IF