ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Beta Testing for a possible IF Comp entry

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Beta Testing for a possible IF Comp entry

Postby revgiblet » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:38 am

I reckon I'm about a week away from completing my game - 'Back Home'.

It could be ready for the IF Comp, though I'm in two minds whether to enter it or not.

Good beta testing could make the difference.

It's a one-shot, relatively short adventure. Not many puzzles. It's story-driven (yay!)

Any interest or are you going to make me work hard?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Re: Beta Testing for a possible IF Comp entry

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:19 am

I'll give it a go if you don't mind me being in the IF Comp 2011 too. 8)

But why an Adrift 4 game? (if you don't mind me asking?)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 70Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:36 am

For a guess it's because a good deal of the target audience for the IFComp seem to use non-Windows computers and ADRIFT 5 doesn't yet work on them via third party interpreters. By submitting an ADRIFT 4 game, you're reaching the largest possible audience.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:39 am

Hey, I didn't see this earlier. You know I'm down to beta-test. Send me whatcha got.
Duncan_B

Postby Campbell » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:59 pm

David Whyld wrote:For a guess it's because a good deal of the target audience for the IFComp seem to use non-Windows computers and ADRIFT 5 doesn't yet work on them via third party interpreters. By submitting an ADRIFT 4 game, you're reaching the largest possible audience.
Apart from the Linux ADRIFT 5 Runner which also works on a Mac at a push of course...
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Fair point. But given the choice between tried and tested software and beta software which works at a push, I know which one I'd go for.
David Whyld

Postby revgiblet » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:25 am

I'm just sticking with what I know, and for a possible IF Comp entry I think along the same lines as David.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

revgiblet

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:32 am

Hey..
Where's your faith in the Campbell effect? :yeah:

I'm sure he'll do his best to get as good a product ready for the Comp. After all it's in his interest too that V.5 gets the best possible reception.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:53 am

I'm sure he will as well, but the fact that the product still needs to be made "ready" for the Comp speaks volumes. ADRIFT 5 is still in beta, it isn't fully complete yet, there are still bugs to be fixed and features to be added. However much of an upgrade it is on V4, if any of those bugs occur when people are playing the IFComp entries, it's not going to do any favours for V5.

As it happens, Po, I just tried your game Ghost Town with the latest version of the ADRIFT 5 Runner. The inventory command produced an error message.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/adrift5.jpg/

I also wasn't able to hide either the map or the graphics under the Windows option. Both were non-responsive. And if there's an option to change the font colour from the nausea inducing green it currently is, I couldn't find it. Nor did I find an option to change the font size or change the font style. Ready for the Comp? Sorry, but no.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:18 am

David Whyld wrote:And if there's an option to change the font colour from the nausea inducing green it currently is, I couldn't find it.
Thanks David, really helpful.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:14 am

I also wasn't able to hide either the map or the graphics under the Windows option. Both were non-responsive.

I don't know if it really fair to run a V.4 game under V.5 at this point. Campbell is working on making the developer acceptable for developing games. If V.4 games should run under V.5 I'm sure that will come at a later time when the developer is up and running. In the mean time people wanting to play "older" Adrift games can still do so using Adrift 4.

But aside from that, I tried to run Ghost town using the V.5 runner and I had no problem hiding the map or the graphics using the little x in the top corner.

You were quite a game writer in the past, David, and I still enjoy playing your games. But have you tried working with the new V.5 and seen what it can do? (I'm just curious) I can only imagine the games you'd be able to create with V.5 and all the new features.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:15 am

I've taken a look at V5 but not an in depth one because it's still in beta. Not sure I'm too keen on the added complexity, though, and the interface looks a lot less friendly than previous versions. I don't see it attracting many of the casual crowd we've had in the past because it's unlikely most people are going to be able to get to grips with it as easily (admittedly that might be an added bonus. We're never likely to see something like Death Agency with V5).

Oh, and apologies for derailing revgivlet's request thread with my whining about ADRIFT 5.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:48 pm

revgiblet: Try to get some testers from outside the ADRIFT community. People who are very used to ADRIFT tend to filter out ADRIFT-isms. (guess-the-noun in particular)

David Whyld: No matter how easy or hard the language is, there will be people who are truly clueless about their capabilities in it and/or English.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby revgiblet » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:16 am

ralphmerridew wrote:revgiblet: Try to get some testers from outside the ADRIFT community. People who are very used to ADRIFT tend to filter out ADRIFT-isms. (guess-the-noun in particular)

Yes, good advice. It might be time to cash in some of my 'good-will offers' that I got from previous IF Comp entries.

The game is ready for beta testing, by the way. I will stagger sending it for the moment - one or two testers at a time. I need to play it a bit more myself.

Tertullian

revgiblet

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0