ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT 5 and it's... combat system

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

ADRIFT 5 and it's... combat system

Postby roberto_m2002 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Here I am again, one year later since my last login, I constantly asked questions about a combat system in adrift then, and I did not forget it now either. I really love games that are replayable, and you can play them differently when you play it again, and games that are focused on long adventures.

So, have there been any updates regarding a combat system in adrift 5? I'm more interested in creating an ASCII game (well it's still text based...) with a playable combat system since I really really can't handle writing so many sentences in english, because my english is pretty bad. Who would want to play a text based game with broken english and not so beautiful descriptions?

I'll ask again now since time has passed a bit since then, are there ways to make a combat system in adrift 5? Things like random encounters, adding members to your party, attack/defence/dexterity/magic/hp (basic rpg stats), random combat loot, upgradable weapons or armor and others.

Or is it impossible and it's mostly based on story driven games? Could the adrift experts say a word on this? And would it be easy/hard/impossible to create? Are there any demos?

And since I created this topic, I'll ask another question to not create another topic, would you actually play a game like that?
roberto_m2002

Re: ADRIFT 5 and it's... combat system

Postby saabie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:42 am

random encounters: Trigger a system task when they enter the location, use the RAND function to set a variable, then execute a series of tasks using the value of the variable to control which ones are run.
You can also use events to make something happen at a particular time.

adding members to your party: Set a character property when they join your party, then override the movement task to run a task for each possible henchman to move them to the players new location if the property is set.

attack/defence/dexterity/magic/hp (basic rpg stats): Just create a character property for each.

random combat loot: Easy with money by using RAND to get its value. Or use RAND to select between a few optional items.

upgradable weapons or armor and others: Just switch it with a hidden object or change its stats (object properties)

The one thing you cant do easily at the moment is have ammunition or arrows that the player can pick up, you can only have a variable that keeps track of how much ammo the player has. (enhancement request http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=bug&bugid=8070 would help a lot here)

I have been experimenting with a combat system which i could make available once it is possible to export a library module.
The enhancement requests for this (http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=bug&bugid=2762 and http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=bug&bugid=115) will be at the top of the voting list after version 5.0.25 comes out, so it might be possible to create libraries when release 5.0.26 comes out.
Last edited by saabie on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
saabie

Postby roberto_m2002 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:07 am

Ok, so in theory it's kinda possible to have a decent battle system in adrift 5, I really have to say that this thing that you mentioned:

http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=bug&bugid=8070

Is very important in a game like this! Creating dozens of items that are the same is just very tedious and bad. We really need to have multiple instances of the same object then. And characters too, can you have multiple instances of a character? Can he be at A, B and C at the same time, and with clones of him around too? Creating a character for every battle ever is again, tiresome.

I would really like to ask Campbell nicely to add this in the next version, unless I am missing something and all this multiple objects/characters can be done in another way.

I'm pretty sure that a good battle system would also bring a lot of fun into adrift games.
roberto_m2002

Postby Lazzah » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:27 am

roberto_m2002 wrote:I really really can't handle writing so many sentences in english, because my english is pretty bad. Who would want to play a text based game with broken english and not so beautiful descriptions?

Your English looks pretty good to me! If I didn't know you are from Romania from your details I would never have guessed English was not your first language. Why not collaborate with an English-speaker who can correct your "broken English"? I did this for a fellow Drifter from Denmark. (Hi Finn, how's SoC coming along? :yeah: )
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:58 am

roberto_m2002 wrote:I'm pretty sure that a good battle system would also bring a lot of fun into adrift games.

I wouldn't be so sure. ADRIFT 4 had a battle system, but I don't remember a single game that used it that was any good.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:13 am

That's because the battle system in v4 was rubbish. v5 has the flexibility to create a much better system. It just needs the imagination.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby roberto_m2002 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:55 pm

"Your English looks pretty good to me!" I'm pretty sure that I make a lot of mistakes so a person who knows english could help me, yes. Also, you won't find my vocabulary as rich as other people here.

David, could you point me to some adrift 4 games which actually used the battle system? Are there really no good ones? If so, well that's pretty disappointing...

Anyway, another thing would be spells, I'm not sure how I could make some spells that could paralyze the enemy, or spells that make him turn against his friends, maybe some spell that could downgrade his weapons etc. I'm not even sure how do you make a task like "attack enemy with paralyze spell" without making a task like that for every enemy in the game, can you do something like

1.Check if there's any character in the room
2.Check if he is neutral/good/evil
3.Attack.
(if there are more enemies the game should list which one you want to attack)

There could be many things to do, slow characters which follow you between rooms but they move a turn slower, giving orders to party members (stay, follow, attack, sneak), and much more. Even some of those features added slowly would be great. I don't want the next dwarf fortress here, just a decent battle system.

Campbell, can you please add some more features related to battles in the future? I look forward to the next versions if you do.

Thanks.
roberto_m2002

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:24 pm

I think all these features already exist, they just need to be put together into a module.

E.g. you can make characters neutral/good/evil by creating a character property of type State List, and add the three states. You can then create tasks that can check this property on a referenced character and do things depending which type they are.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Honestly, I can't remember the name of a single game which used the combat system - maybe I've repressed them all! But I do remember playing quite a few years ago and thinking how bad they were, and I can also remember discussions on this forum about the pros and cons of them (mainly cons) so they definitely exist. I can state, though, with 100% seriousness, that I've never played an ADRIFT game with a combat system that was any good. Has anyone else?

It's not just ADRIFT that's afflicted with badly written combat system games, though. Pretty much every system out there has its fair share of them as, no matter how many times the idea fails, there are always people who think a combat system in a text adventure is the best thing since sliced bread. Off hand, the only game I can remember playing in recent years that had a combat system and was any good is "Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom" - highly recommended if you want to see one of the few examples of a combat system used well in a game.
David Whyld

Postby Jin Sane » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:32 pm

I'd love for the multiple item thing to become a reality. For example, if a player already carrying two health potions picks up a health potion his inventory shows "3 health potions" rather than "a health potion, a health potion and a health potion".

There are ways to make it work currently of course, and in fact I'm using variables and overrides for something like this, but boy it would be sweet to have a simpler way.
Jin Sane

Postby roberto_m2002 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Ok, I downloaded Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom. I'll give it a try and see how the combat system is in there.

And yeah, multiple items/characters would be nice. I hope we'll see that in the the next version. Also, I would really like to try some good games here which have combat in them, maybe more will appear once it's not so hard to make a battle system.
roberto_m2002

Postby Jin Sane » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:49 pm

A game I'm writing at the moment has a sort of battle system. Enemies, weapons, damage, all that stuff. I'm trying to keep the battle stuff to a minimum though, as it's not a very popular feature in IF.
Jin Sane

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:04 pm

How difficult would it be to do the part where characters decide who to attack in a module, without changing ADRIFT?
Specifically: Have each combatant choose a random visible person of the antagonist alignment.

I could do it by explicitly listing all the possible characters, but that couldn't be done in a module.

A list of some RPG-games is at http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Category:RPG Some don't really qualify (randomized combat is a cover for puzzle combat). And it's missing pretty much everything by Paul Allen Panks, not that that's a bad thing.

If you go through with this either:
1a) Make sure that the randomized combat is actually interesting
or
1b) Make it easy to gloss over the randomized combat

Also:
2) Make sure your game isn't something that would be better done in (say) Blades of Avernum.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:47 pm

I definitely think it would be doable, but you'd probably need to set a variable for the number of characters. My Ecto-comp entry from last year (that I never managed to complete) had something similar, where it picked a character at random by generating the key, and assigned that key to a variable for use in the game.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Kennedy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:03 pm

A combat system would be nice in my opinion, and I added a request for support for the old system at: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=bug&bugid=3882 though I imagine implementing a combat system can probably be done using libraries, though probably we are all too lazy to write these libraries ourselves. Maybe there can be some sort of contest to see who can come up with the best combat system written for Adrift 5? I'd even settle for the old version 4 system over no system at all.
Kennedy

Next

Return to ADRIFT 5.0