ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

V5 Intro Comp Reviews

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

V5 Intro Comp Reviews

Postby David Whyld » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Well, not reviews as such, just random thoughts I had while playing the games. Not a bad comp overall - 3 good (and 1 average) games out of 6 isn't a bad turnout.

Best to worst (in descending order):

"Axe of Kolt"
"Shattered Memory"
"The Blank Wall"
"Trapped"
"Organic"
"Head Case"

"Axe of Kolt" by Lazzah
Liked: Nicely written, lots of text to set the scene. Felt like an actual game I was playing as opposed to "oh, an intro comp. Lemme throw something together in five minutes…" Definitely one I'd be interested in seeing finished.

Didn’t like: The constant changing of the text colour was annoying. Often locations would be in a light blue font initially, but whenever I typed LOOK they changed to white. The lengthy wait once I was inside the tavern also seemed a bit drawn out, and I didn’t care for the message flashing on screen telling me I could score extra points by asking Lizzie the right questions, and also informing me I had 50 moves to do it in. Kinda jarring.

"Organic" by Simple Ryan Crisotomo
Liked: Not much really. It wasn’t the worst game in the comp but there wasn’t anything about it I could point to as positive.

Didn’t like: Spelling "crates" as "creates" (twice!) was a little unfortunate. Obvious commands that I felt should have worked didn’t and instead produced default error messages. I wasn’t able to take the assault rifles or the bodies - in fact, I was even informed that I couldn’t see any bodies, despite being able to examine them. In another location, I wasn’t able to examine the dead man, despite him being referred as such in the location description, but instead had to refer to him as "body". All in all, this wasn’t a game I had a lot of patience for. Even as an intro, it's painfully unfinished.

"Head Case" by DazaKiwi
Liked: um…

Didn’t like: Pretty much everything. Lots of typos in the (overly long) introduction, mainly commas and full stops in the wrong place. A good proofread wouldn’t have hurt.

I can't examine the VAN but instead have to refer to it as BLACK VAN. Examining it reveals the unfortunate line THE VAN PASSENGER DOOR, THE DRIVERS DOOR AND THE VAN REAR DOORS ARE ON THE BLACK VAN. MYSTERIOUS VOICE IS INSIDE THE BLACK VAN. Ouch.

So many things were wrong with this game I wouldn’t know where to start, but even as an intro it's so rough around the edges I couldn’t recommend it to anyone.

"Trapped" by Driftwood
Liked: not many bugs. Quite nice considering this was the fourth game I had played and two of the others had been bugged to high heaven. (However, I did manage to cause a bug by taking the card reader with the credit card still inside it, trying to leave and being informed I couldn’t because the payment been made. When I dropped the card reader, took the credit card out, and tried to leave, it let me.)

Didn’t like: way too short. No real choices. Just walk through a couple of locations, perform a task (which you're told exactly how to do) and the game ends. I'd have preferred more of an actual game. Not to mention that it seemed way too "finished" to be considered an intro.

"The Blank Wall" by Richard Otter
Liked: as with "Axe of Kolt", this seemed more like an actual intro and not so much a 'threw together in five minutes' effort. You can examine things, find items, try and solve puzzles, and it has a storyline I found myself caring about.

Didn’t like: not much really. I couldn’t figure out some of the puzzles which is probably more down to approaching senility on my part than any actual problems with the game itself.

"Shattered Memory" by Jim Sane
Liked: This was more like reading an interactive novel than playing an IF game. Huge swathes of text, sometimes screen after screen of it, but quite likeable for it, and the occasional typo was easy enough to overlook. Ended just at the point I was getting hooked, so definitely one I'd be interested in seeing finished.

Didn’t like: Obvious commands didn’t work that should have. SLEEP won't work but LIE ON BED (which then has me going to sleep) does. I had to OPEN DOOR to get inside the building, with compass directions and attempts to simply ENTER BUILDING or GO BUILDING throwing up error messages.
David Whyld

Re: V5 Intro Comp Reviews

Postby Lazzah » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:03 pm

David Whyld wrote:"Axe of Kolt" by Lazzah
Liked: Nicely written, lots of text to set the scene. Felt like an actual game I was playing as opposed to "oh, an intro comp. Lemme throw something together in five minutes…" Definitely one I'd be interested in seeing finished.

Thank you David!

David Whyld wrote:Didn’t like: The constant changing of the text colour was annoying. Often locations would be in a light blue font initially, but whenever I typed LOOK they changed to white.

This is interesting as I did not alter the colour of the location text myself. How did you play the adventure, online or from the blorb? Whatever way I play it the location text stays constant when I type LOOK. I wonder if anyone else had this problem when they played AoK? Was it just my game or did it happen with any others?
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:23 pm

I downloaded it (hate playing online and will avoid it if possible). I didn't notice the problem with any other games but then yours was the only one that used colour from what I remember.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:17 pm

David Whyld wrote:I downloaded it (hate playing online and will avoid it if possible). I didn't notice the problem with any other games but then yours was the only one that used colour from what I remember.

What OS does your computer have? I have noticed with my current WIP "Fortress of Fear" that if I have short room descriptions turned on, there is one location where the text colour is green, no matter what I try to do to keep it cyan. The odd thing is that on my PC at work this one location appears as RED not green. I have mentioned this to Campbell.

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm using Windows 7.
David Whyld

Postby Jin Sane » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:00 pm

An interesting read, mate. I'll certainly take your input on Shattered Memory into account. I too actually felt that there was a bit too much storytelling and not enough gameplay but bascially wanted to get the whole idea of the plot and atmosphere across within these four rooms. Ideally, the vivid story scenes would be broken up by more gameplay (example: I wanted the dream sequence to be gameplay, but I'd filled the room quota).

If I were to develop a full game, I assure you the wordeyness wouldn't be quite as exhausting ;) The concept for Shattered Memory was to be heavy on story-telling but without outbalancing the gameplay. I kinda' failed during the intro I guess.

As for the entering the building thing: It was sorta' intentional. I wanted to get across that this guy was pretty wasted and the obvious wouldn't be so obvious to him. I didn't want it to be completely obvious that this building was where you're headed and you should try and enter it to progress the game. I preferred the idea of him looking at this door, fumbling around with his keys and being like "do I live here?". The sleep thing, however, I have no excuse for. I had considered a "sleep" task but wasn't sure whether it would be utilised.

Again, thanks for the feedback :)
Jin Sane

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:06 pm

I have posted my fancy schmancy review on my blog, here.
Duncan_B

Postby Driftwood » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 am

David's review of my intro game was very fair and I certainly didn't expect any 'gold stars' for it. Been away from Adrift for quite some time and I need a bit more time to get into it. Ok, that's the excuses out the way. In all honesty it was a quick lash up and there were a lot of things I could have done to 'beef it up'. The other entries were far beyond anything I could have written and show the talent of the authors.
I certainly need to do a lot of work with V5.
:blush:
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun." (Herman Munster: Circa 1970)
Driftwood

Postby Lazzah » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:03 pm

David Whyld wrote:"Axe of Kolt" by Lazzah
The lengthy wait once I was inside the tavern also seemed a bit drawn out, and I didn’t care for the message flashing on screen telling me I could score extra points by asking Lizzie the right questions, and also informing me I had 50 moves to do it in. Kinda jarring.

I forgot to mention that the lengthy wait in the tavern and that message about 50 moves was only for the competition version of the game. In the real game you will be able to ASK LIZZIE ABOUT things, but the "wait" until the traveller arrives with his news is much shorter. As it was a very late decision to enter the game in the competition, I didn't have time to get it playtested. With hindsight, I am sure if I had one of my playtesters would have commented in the same way, David.

Lazzah

Return to Game Discussions