ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Skybreak

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Skybreak

Postby The0didactus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Hello Adrifters.
I thought I'd tell you about the next game I've decided to work on following Tingalan's unexpectedly stellar reception. This game will probably take me a long time, perhaps a year or more...but here are some previews.

You can best envision this game as the diametric opposite of Tingalan: It is nearly impossible to die, there are many friends and allies, and the game is dependent on you being able to return, over and over again, to the same locations. Individual choices made at those locations matter a lot. It is similar to Tingalan in one critical respect: It is hard to navigate. As the captain of a ship that rides unpredictable dark matter currents through a distant galaxy, you have the potential to visit many strange and wonderful places throughout space and time...but you have little control over where your ship actually takes you.
Attachments
Capture5.PNG
Capture5.PNG (76.77 KiB) Viewed 722 times
Capture6.PNG
Capture6.PNG (130.42 KiB) Viewed 722 times
capture4.PNG
capture4.PNG (128.14 KiB) Viewed 722 times
The0didactus

Re: Skybreak

Postby The0didactus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:48 pm

A few more
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (89.06 KiB) Viewed 721 times
screenshot1.PNG
screenshot1.PNG (87.89 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Capture9.PNG
Capture9.PNG (108.38 KiB) Viewed 721 times
The0didactus

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Don't worry about the time it takes to get your game finished.
My game; D-day has been under way for a couple of years already. :wink:
You have already established quite a reputation for yourself that people will most likely don't mind waiting.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 First beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby The0didactus » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:40 pm

An update:

* I fully intend to make this a contender for the largest ADRIFT adventure ever created. I have absolutely no idea what the competition is, but the Skybreak galaxy is vast and your ship is capable of going to many stranger places beyond the edge of the galaxy.

* Skybreak features a ship combat system that pits you against space pirates, hyperadvanced alien craft, and large spaceborn lifeforms. The system keeps track of your ship's relative velocity and heading, numerous weapon and engine systems, slick space maneuvers that change every turn, and even a primitive enemy AI.

* Skybreak is a traditional role-playing game. Your character can hail from one of five species, has two backgrounds from a list of ten, and three talents from a list of 16. There are, additionally, 16 different skills that will determine how you live or die in a galaxy full of things that want to eat you.

The next post will be a text export of a battle between me and an enemy spacecraft, so you can see what the combat system is like. Combat is rare, but extremely tense and consequential. Anything can happen. Different characters will have vastly different abilities in combat.
Last edited by The0didactus on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The0didactus

Postby The0didactus » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Report Generated Stardate:6.4-119

BATTLE REPORT
=========================

YOUR SHIP: Invigilator
Defensive Grid [Energized]
Computronics [Online]
Optics [Operational]
Avionics [Shipshape]
Photonics [Discharged]
Reactor [Stable]
Hull [0][0][0]

ENEMY SHIP: Rimfirruna Astro-brig
CREW: Fifteen (Difficulty: -1)
ARMAMENTS: 6 12cm Neon Cannons, 1 Heavy Plasma Carronade
HEADING: 102* (-1)
RELATIVE VELOCITY: -53,307 KPS (-5)

Options:
H) Adjust Heading
V) Increase Velocity
M) Maneuver: Barrelroll (Increases your heading and your relative velocity, but can fail if your piloting skills are poor)
+) Super-Stunt: Dramatically increases your heading and relative velocity but costs an adventure point
R) Repair
T) Fire Torpedoes (A powerful attack that always hits and can damage multiple targets at once. 1 Adventure Point)
X) Escape

LASER FIRING SOLUTIONS:
1) Nothing
2) Nothing
3) Bow
4) Stern
5) Reactor

> m

You can't shake them! The manuver fails.
The enemy hits!
A claxon wails!
With an earsplitting pop, the ship's defensive grid fails!

BATTLE REPORT

Defensive Grid [Compromised]
Computronics [Online]
Optics [Operational]
Avionics [Shipshape]
Photonics [Discharged]
Reactor [Stable]
Hull [0][0][0]

HEADING: 102* (-1)
RELATIVE VELOCITY: -53,405 KPS (-5)

Options:
H) Adjust Heading
V) Increase Velocity
M) Maneuver: Barrelroll (Increases your heading and your relative velocity, but can fail if your piloting skills are poor)
+) Super-Stunt: Dramatically increases your heading and relative velocity but costs an adventure point
R) Repair
T) Fire Torpedoes (A powerful attack that always hits and can damage multiple targets at once. 1 Adventure Point)
X) Escape

LASER FIRING SOLUTIONS:
1) Nothing
2) Nothing
3) Bow
4) Stern
5) Reactor

> m

Your ship slices through the interstellar medium! Your maneuver is successful!
The enemy misses!

BATTLE REPORT

Computronics [Online]
Optics [Operational]
Avionics [Shipshape]
Photonics [Discharged]
Reactor [Stable]
Hull [0][0][0]

HEADING: 134* (0)
RELATIVE VELOCITY: 33,172 KPS (-1)

Options:
H) Adjust Heading
V) Increase Velocity
M) Maneuver: Clubhaul (Uses internal gravitics to come to a complete stop, but bring our ship squarely into the perfect firing position)
R) Repair
X) Escape

LASER FIRING SOLUTIONS:
1) Nothing
2) Nothing
3) Bow
4) Stern
5) Reactor

> 3

You fire! Your sensors register a hit!
The enemy rockets ahead, but you maintain speed.

BATTLE REPORT

Computronics [Online]
Optics [Operational]
Avionics [Shipshape]
Photonics [Discharged]
Reactor [Stable]
Hull [0][0][0]

HEADING: 134* (0)
RELATIVE VELOCITY: 33,821 KPS (-1)

Options:
H) Adjust Heading
V) Increase Velocity
R) Repair
X) Escape

LASER FIRING SOLUTIONS:
1) Nothing
2) Nothing
3) Destroyed
4) Stern
5) Reactor

> 4

You fire! Photon beams rake the enemy ship.
The enemy is destroyed.
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:30 pm

Sorry I never did comment on this before, but space roguelikes are extremely my thing and I'll be following any updates with interest.

Still need to get my Tingalan review up soon, but that means playing it more and I don't know if I'm willing to get addicted again after what happened the last time...
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:16 am

Lumin wrote:Sorry I never did comment on this before, but space roguelikes are extremely my thing and I'll be following any updates with interest.

Still need to get my Tingalan review up soon, but that means playing it more and I don't know if I'm willing to get addicted again after what happened the last time...

Thanks again for your interest! Reviews for Tingalan would of course be appreciated, because law school does a great job making one feel like an absolute car wreck of a human being, so I enjoy having things outside the law world to fall back on, even if they are just adventure games.

It's funny you describe this game as a roguelike, because actually I decided (after so many negative reviews on the Difficulty of Tingalan from my early playtesters) to turn one of the central tenets of a roguelike on its head and make it so it's REALLY hard to die. You're sorta like a supernaturally talented space hero in this game, so even if you're accosted by 700 space slugs in their menacing positron saucers, you're most likely to just get shot down and live to fight another day.

What WILL kill you in this game, though, is getting overambitious, so I guess it's not all that different from Tingalan actually :haha:

To keep everyone's interest, and to keep myself motivated, I'll post a progress report that i'll try to update semi-regularly.

Progress Report:

* Character Creation (Finished): Characters are built from 1 of 5 different species, and have 2 of 10 different backgrounds, each one gives the character a way to generate "adventure points" and a way to win the game. Characters also have 3 talents (from a list of 15) that give them a way to spend adventure points to do something cool. There are 16 "skills" that form the basis of every encounter in the game (Tingalan had only 3 skills). One of the backgrounds is "earthling" so yes, you can play yourself (if you do so, you will win the game if you ever find earth again).

* Transport System (Finished): Your character, regardless of origin or background, flies around the universe on a ship powered by light and darkness. The player cannot control where the ship goes...the strange powers that control the dark matter currents that flow through the cosmos decide that.

* Location descriptions (Finished): there are more than 200 unique locations in the game. Some of them represent planets, space stations, or stranger worlds beyond the edge of the known universe. each location has between 2 and 9 different "things to do." Generally, when a player arrives at a location, they pick one, and only one, thing to do, then the player must leave (and because they can't steer the ship, they may never return). This decision is the most critical decision in the game.

* Combat system (Finished): Space is full of malevolent forces, but space combat is designed to be rare, consequential, and highly technical. As you can see from the "screenshots", the game simulates the velocity and heading of your starship, in addition to firing solutions for the ship's laser cannons. Combat is extremely "swingy", and many enemies are vastly more powerful than your puny little starship (but many of the talents picked in character creation arm your ship with things like Cobalt torpedoes and mighty shield generators). There are 36 unique enemies.

* Random Encounters (To do): there will be 250 repeatable, random encounters that can pop up on multiple worlds...everything from being slimed by subgalactic ooze to pulling off a jewel heist on a starliner. These encounters are triggered by the activities mentioned above, in general, each activity has a random chance of triggering one of ~4 possible random encounters. Most encounters involve a skill check, and many involve 2 or three different possible skills that can be used to solve the same problem.

* Specialized encounters (to do): there will be ~100 encounters that are unique to a location. I intend to make the description for many of these very long, more like short stories (possible someone might have found one of these in Tingalan. There are a few. Talk to Cybele).

* NPCs (to do): While many of the activities and encounters will involve interacting with people, there will be 16 characters that can be interacted with in depth. Each has unique knowledge and opinions about the universe. Each gives your character a large bonus to one skill if they are recruited to join your crew. Each one will then "leave" your crew if you carry out a certain mission, they reach a certain destination, or they die

* Death/Adventure Point system (to do): various, extremely rare events will give you an "adventure point", which you can spend on talents to do really amazing stuff (IE blow up enemy ships with Cobalt torpedoes, translate dead alien inscriptions, or actually control where the hell your ship goes for a change...or you can horde them. Your character cannot die as long as they have an adventure point, instead, a death-like situation simply consumes the adventure point, and your character miraculously survives. Many dangers await: in addition to the ship combat and encounters presented earlier, your character is perpetually in danger of flying off the edge of the universe and into the nightmare-void beyond (your ship goes REALLY fast). The worlds beyond the edge of space and time are much, much more dangerous than the material universe.

* Win Conditions (to do): Each of the ten backgrounds supplies a different way to "win" the game...all of them are very, very difficult. For fun, here are all 10 without much context:
- Get back home (to earth)
- Become a God
- Kill a God
- Become the Prime Inquisitor of the Inquiry of Syr
- Die heroically, saving a planet in the process
- uncover 10 pieces of forbidden lore, 10 pieces of forgotten lore, and 10 pieces of foretold lore
- uncover 5 pieces of biodata, 5 pieces of astrodata, 5 pieces of geodata, and 5 pieces of technodata
- amass 12 anecdotes, 12 adventure stories, and 12 horror stories
- amass 12 luxury goods and 12 kilograms of gold
- discover a new rocky planet, a new sunken planet, a new frozen planet, a new poison planet, a new molten planet, and a new garden planet
The0didactus

Return to Game Discussions