ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Adrift 4.0 Limitations

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Adrift 4.0 Limitations

Postby burny27 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:01 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm French, I'm 57 years old and I've been studying Adrift 4.0 for a while now.
I would like to know the limits of Adrift 4.0; how many rooms/objects/tasks... can we create before having memory limit issues.
Does anyone have an idea?
Thanks for your help.

Bruno
burny27

Re: Adrift 4.0 Limitations

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Hello Bruno.
Welcome to our little corner of the IF universe. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

There's no limits to the Adrift 4 any more. In the beginning you were limited if you didn't register but that was removed ages ago.
Is there any reason why you're using Adrift 4 and not the V.5?
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 First beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby burny27 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:14 pm

Thank you for your quick reponse P/o Prune...
I use V4 because i have already created lot of work on it (a big ALR by example), I managed to get around a lot of limitations that this version has with French, by long and tedious tests, and I do not see myself doing the same thing with the V5 :-)
And then it is a version that remains simple to use while having a lot of development possibilities.
burny27

Postby David Whyld » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Nice to see I'm not the only one using v4 :)

I once had a work in progress that hit 530kb (all text, no sound or graphics), had 250 rooms and over 3000 tasks and was working fine. Editing or adding new locations caused a noticeable delay but nothing that was really an issue and the other stuff worked fine. So unless you're planning to write the War and Peace of text adventures, you should be okay.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby burny27 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:38 am

530kb (all text, no sound or graphics), had 250 rooms and over 3000 tasks and was working fine

Oh that's really good news David ! :claps:
It's been a while that I'm interested in this kind of tools (since the 90s in fact, so it's not yesterday ...), and there is always a moment when we fall on a limitation unavoidable that negates all your hopes, and finding a tool that is functional in French is a challenge to the challenge ...
That's why I persist on the V4. It has a lot of defects, especially on French, but it is easy to use and smartly designed, and I have managed so far to get around all the difficulties encountered.
Sorry for my rough English ... and thank you Google Trad :)
burny27

Postby ElliotM » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:15 am

I'd be interested to hear what those challenges for French functionality have been. I imagine a lot of the problems stem from French language features not found in English.
ElliotM

Postby burny27 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:02 am

Hello Elliot,
In bulk:
- it => lui où elle ?
- a / an => un ou une ?
- the => le, la où les ?
- open => ouvert ou ouverte ?
- Adjectives, that in French can be put before or after the subject
- Objects, which have a kind ...
Basically things that are treated differently in English and French and that the software is not able to differentiate because not designed for that from the beginning.
But Adrift still remains one of the only software that allows me to go so far in the circumvention of these difficulties, and that's why I'm attached.
burny27

Postby ElliotM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:45 am

Are most of those issues with articles (a/an, the) and pronouns (it) due to nouns in French having gender and thus changing the correct spelling? I know that in German articles and pronouns will be different depending on the gender of a person, place, or thing. For instance 'the' from English would be one of three differently spelled words in German: 'der', 'die', or 'das' for masculine, femine, and neuter/neutral gender cases respectively.

Adjectives being before or after the object seems difficult to work with, at least as far as list goes, though I imagine this also creates difficulty for commands and autocomplete in the runner? I don't know French but I'm glad to hear that you are making progress. Are you making your own Standard Library? Or are you attempting to correct all the output of the original Standard Library?
ElliotM

Postby burny27 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:23 am

Yes, it is about the same thing, except that there is no neutral gender article in French.
I created an alr file that translates almost all the messages from the runner, which is actually a big improvement to a file I found here. I also have a fairly complete synonym file. If it interests someone I can put them in diposition.
burny27

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0