ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

strange sudden error please help

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

strange sudden error please help

Postby razor77 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:32 am

Today i was editing one of my projects. Just changing text output in some of the task. Nothing with adding task or changing actions/restrictions. Then i go to open it in runner and BOOM the following error.

UpdateStatusBar error: Object reference not set to instance of an object

at ADRIFT.frmError..ctor(String sErrorMessage, Exception ex)
at ADRIFT.SharedModule.ErrMsg(String sMessage, Exception ex)
at ADRIFT.RunnerSession.UpdateStatusBar()
at ADRIFT.RunnerSession.OpenAdventure(String sFilename, Boolean bSilentError)
at ADRIFT.frmRunner.frmRunner_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at ADRIFT.frmRunner.Main()
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at R.P.Main(String[] args)

Some of the task will work if i close the error window but then when i type in certain others error pops up again. Weird game was working fine earlier.

Any help much appreciated.
razor77

Re: strange sudden error please help

Postby Denk » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:26 am

This one might be difficult to trouble-shoot without looking at your file, but could you please check the following:

Go to the properties of the player character. What is "Location of the character" set to?
If it is set to "At Location" and if "At which location" is blank, then you have found the problem. You then need to select a location.

It shouldn't be possible to choose <blank> but I have seen it occuring before for some strange reason, so it is worth checking.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Re: strange sudden error please help

Postby razor77 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:51 am

That was it. Thanks so much! Damn if i know how it happened i didn't touch anything about the player character. Thanks again Denk.
razor77

Return to ADRIFT 5.0